Home visit by immigration...

When I did my first application they paid a visit to our house and while they didn't ask for any money my wife gave them some to buy their dinner on the way home. If they cam e from Buriram its about 70km trip so I don't you could begrudge them asking for a little gasoline money.

Anyway I think you probably have 3 options.

1. Pay them the 2000

2. Pay them and ask for receipt

3. Refuse to pay, but this option depends on how badly you want to get your Visa.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:
23 minutes ago, Harveyboy said:

but said I have to pay 2000 Baht for them to come is this another scam

Sounds like lunch to me

The OP hasn't shared his location so no clue if these immigration cadgers have to make the best part of a day-trip to personally check his bona fides. Regardless of there being no official fee for this service and 2000 baht being a bit rude, I would suggest the OP get his better half to offer to buy them lunch before or after their 5 minute home visit. That way one doesn't feel compelled to dial any hot line to report corruption couched in the irrational fear that this refusal to pay will raise issues in the future. It also plays to the obsequious cultural fealty to those in authority that falls under the broad scope of this sad, morally moribund and one-sided kriengjai malarkey. They can politely refuse to eat but that shouldn't be seen as their right to claim their 2000 baht 'bonus' either.

• Like 1

Yes, it's a scam, but they can't help themselves.

It is a genetic thing and although they know they must not ask for it, the overwhelming need to, over rides everything. It's like the bug flying towards the blue light, he doesn't have to, but ............  

Please, take a moment and think about what it is like to be in their shoes and not being able to control it. Disturbing really. ????

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

The OP hasn't shared his location so no clue if these immigration cadgers have to make the best part of a day-trip to personally check his bona fides. Regardless of there being no official fee for this service and 2000 baht being a bit rude, I would suggest the OP get his better half to offer to buy them lunch before or after their 5 minute home visit. That way one doesn't feel compelled to dial any hot line to report corruption couched in the irrational fear that this refusal to pay will raise issues in the future. It also plays to the obsequious cultural fealty to those in authority that falls under the broad scope of this sad, morally moribund and one-sided kriengjai malarkey. They can politely refuse to eat but that shouldn't be seen as their right to claim their 2000 baht 'bonus' either.

and that's exactly what I was thinking also,  I expect the OP lives maybe 50 klms or more from town and this is why the 2,000 was mentioned. As suggested, let them visit, have the wifey talk to them and offer them lunch instead of the 2,000 cash ... if they don't agree then try to get it down to 1,000 and if they still disagree ... just pay the 2,000 and let them be on their way, at least you tried.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

56 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

I do not know where you are located, but here in Hua Hin we had a visit when I did my first retirement extension 4 years ago. Nothing was asked from them, but the Wife did give the guy 300 Baht for "Gasoline Money".......Always get a nod and a smile when we visit Immigration. But 2,000 smells like a scam to me. Why not ask for a receipt and see what happens.

also in Hua Hin, I've had 5 home visits now, never a hint of wanting a bribe, never gave anyone 'gas money' (nor was there any talk of it) and they've always been very polite and professional at my home and at the office..

Edited by from the home of CC
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, Nong Khai Man said:

It IS A SCAM, I've never been Charged or even ASKED for Any Money for A Home Visit !!

Once again, the folly of assuming one's personal experience as somehow being empirical rears it's misguided and fundamentally worthless head.

It doesn't work in the real world so Thailand doesn't have a snowball's.

26 minutes ago, steven100 said:

...if they don't agree then try to get it down to 1,000 and if they still disagree ... just pay the 2,000 and let them be on their way, at least you tried.

...but make sure you get their names and rank and then call the government corruption hot line.

Sorted!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

What are you talking about?

It's their job, they are paid for it

you are not the one asking to them to come for a visit

they come to you on duty, because it's their job and they are paid for it.

Why do you want to pay them again from your pocket for they are just doing the job they are paid for?

You have already paid your ''part'' for their salary in visa fee and with the 7% VAT on all the things you buy here, all this money go to the goverment, and it's the goverment job to pay public agent and for the tasks

they are ordered to do during this job.

Stop the bribes !!!!

Ahhh... grasshopper.

• Haha 1

Two weeks ago Jomtien immigration came ,nice guys laughing and joking ,i sat outside and chatted to one ,then our neighbour came over and we all sat at our dinning room table ,i asked did they want to go upstairs ,,smiled said no thanks ,took a picture of us outside house and left ,we offered drinks but refused ,no cash asked for ,they asked our neighbour how much she earned a month(her husband owns a company) nearly fell off his chair when she told him ,mind you so did i ???? no wonder they have such nice cars.