Home visit by immigration...

8 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Weigh out the possibility of reverberation. 

The ''reverberation'' works in the 2 ways

what about to start a discussion with them about their feeling

concerning the corruption in Thailand and particularly in immigration offices

then talk about the ''no bribes policy' and the differents tools using to fight the corruption

indicate you are well aware of these tools, you can even show a paper with the numbers to call.

Close the discussion explaining you should be pleased to pay the 2000 if they handle a receipt to you

and if all the transaction is registered and filmed by yourself, and see what happens....

18 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

then talk about the ''no bribes policy' and the differents tools using to fight the corruption

indicate you are well aware of these tools, you can even show a paper with the numbers to call.

Close the discussion explaining you should be pleased to pay the 2000 if they handle a receipt to you

and if all the transaction is registered and filmed by yourself, and see what happens....

All good in a perfect world. But this here is not a perfect world. Taking food from their pockets is one way to look at it. Messing with their lively hood is another. Think like an angry Thai person ( like a policeman perhaps) and  put yourself in their position and think what you would do or could do above and below the board. 

Honest answer is try to look at the situation at hand while it is there in front of your face and then make the solution for how you think it should go. I am not going to take out a video with only me and the Mrs. there and try to make them shake.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

I do not know where you are located, but here in Hua Hin we had a visit when I did my first retirement extension 4 years ago. Nothing was asked from them, but the Wife did give the guy 300 Baht for "Gasoline Money".......Always get a nod and a smile when we visit Immigration. But 2,000 smells like a scam to me. Why not ask for a receipt and see what happens.

Smile or laughter 

• Haha 2

This is common practice at Pathum Thani Immigration. I am asked every year, except once during the reign of Big Joke when they all had signs on their desks saying no bribes allowed. Those signs went away with him. I have refused on one occasion, my wife mentioned to the receptionist she had checked with the main immigration office and was told there was no house visit fee. The worker immediately said it was optional. My visa wasn't processed for over a month. 

When they came to the house for the home inspection they tried to bring it up again but were cut off by my very talkative neighbor. 

This year just paid it to get out of there. They came the next day and visa was done very quickly. It is a scam. It is Thailand. It isn't going to change. That being said, they are more scared than you should be I believe. If you are firm on it they won't deny your visa. Despite what people say, if you were really penalized for not paying you could made a big fuss and and they don't want that. It is similar to many other police shakedowns. They know most people just don't want to deal with it and its true. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

I do not know where you are located, but here in Hua Hin we had a visit when I did my first retirement extension 4 years ago. Nothing was asked from them, but the Wife did give the guy 300 Baht for "Gasoline Money".......Always get a nod and a smile when we visit Immigration. But 2,000 smells like a scam to me. Why not ask for a receipt and see what happens.

I forgot to mention I actually live a few hundred metres from the immigration office I walk there for my check ins so it's even as of they have to travel ..

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Harveyboy said:

I forgot to mention I actually live a few hundred metres from the immigration office I walk there for my check ins so it's even as of they have to travel ..

Home visits are usually made before your extension is approved, going by your post, you have already been approved. SCAM SCAM SCAM 100%

• Like 2

21 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

Brilliant idea write the numbers to call in huge writing and stick it in plain sight !

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Home visits are usually made before your extension is approved, going by your post, you have already been approved. SCAM SCAM SCAM 100%

Yes have my visa ..passport stamp done date for my 90 day report fixed ..paid my 1900 for visa yes all done 

On 1/30/2020 at 10:49 AM, Harveyboy said:

said I have to pay 2000 Baht for them to come is this another scam

If this is fact, at best it is coercion. Most would call it flagrant corruption. To capitulate would simply encourage this nonsense to become more widespread. Offering a drink and a snack during their visit is enough. Otherwise you're paying them to do their job, for which they're already remunerated. Nip it in the bud immediately or they'll be turning up on falangs' doorsteps every five minutes. 

• Like 1

On 1/30/2020 at 11:26 AM, Nong Khai Man said:

Can You post THAT Again,But in PLAIN English Please ??

What's wrong with a bit of lyricism? I enjoyed it - especially the reference to "obsequious fealty to those in authority". Spot on!

7 minutes ago, sixlegs said:

How you guys are able to put up with such an intrusion into your private family life is beyond my comprehension.

We are all different.

Each of us has fixed his own proper limits one is prepared to undergo, in order to be able to stay here. 

• Like 1

On 1/30/2020 at 10:59 AM, AhFarangJa said:

...they maybe driving one of the new 'Smart-<deleted> BMWs'...???? 

On 1/30/2020 at 10:59 AM, AhFarangJa said:

There's been several reports about 1000-2000 baht "fee" for the home visit the last year. Ask for a receipt,and you might not have a 1 year extension anymore. Just saying. ????

2 hours ago, sixlegs said:

How you guys are able to put up with such an intrusion into your private family life is beyond my comprehension.

I think your overreacting on a simple situation. The Thai immigration do visit residents from time to time to ensure things are ok and I presume make sure the correct visa is in place, that's what IO's do.

How can you say ' intrusion ' when they already contacted the OP's residence to advise of there visit. ??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Max69xl said:

There's been several reports about 1000-2000 baht "fee" for the home visit the last year. Ask for a receipt,and you might not have a 1 year extension anymore. Just saying. ????

bingo   !   some folks just can't see the forest for the trees.

2 hours ago, Max69xl said:

A very good point. I made a similar statement when I posted last year that Hua Hin charged me 1,000 Baht for each letter to renew my driving licences. A member told me to complain and report them. If I did that it would be a a good bet my next extension would be extremely difficult.