PM not happy with proposed freeze of VOA for Chinese tourists

snoop1130

What I cannot understand is that other countries Eg Uk Australia come here spend money in the country yet are treated like lepers'

I can for see  that the tourisms  industry in the future is going to suffer as other visitors are looking elsewhere to vacation where they are made to feel welcome 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Thailand, through extreme myopia, put itself into this position. By putting all of it's eggs in the basket of China, they opened themselves up to a tourism and economic tragedy of immense proportions. It was an inane decision, made by people with little to no experience in tourism, hired based on cronyism, or nepotism, and entirely without merit. When you reach for the bottom of the barrel, this is what you get. 

The Thai people are in for a world of hurt unfortunately. Hopefully something good will come out of this mess.

I couldn’t have said it better myself.  Thanks.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, El Matador said:

Thailand is the second most touched country after China.

Does he realize many tourists from other countries will cancel their trip because of that?

Mongolia and Vietnam are closing their borders and they are poorrer than Thailand.

A Thai taxi driver has spread the virus. And they keep waiting a miracle.

The situation would be comical if it wasn't tragic for the locals.

Any travel advisories issued by any governments yet? 

3 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

The last masks available seem to be the gas masks available at some hardware stores. Then you'll need to find HEPA filters and DIY replacements for the activated carbon canisters they use. I bet they'll be sold out within hours too.

The solution is to walk instead of using public transport. You probably wil develop asthma because of the air pollution doing that. There's no winning at the moment.

This is sensible advice although the website is pro establishment and loaded with bias, fake news.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/01/25/wuhan-coronavirus-safety-china/

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Thailand, through extreme myopia, put itself into this position. By putting all of it's eggs in the basket of China, they opened themselves up to a tourism and economic tragedy of immense proportions. It was an inane decision, made by people with little to no experience in tourism, hired based on cronyism, or nepotism, and entirely without merit. When you reach for the bottom of the barrel, this is what you get. 

The Thai people are in for a world of hurt unfortunately. Hopefully something good will come out of this mess.

They have been being groomed for hurt the last 5 years

2 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

Any travel advisories issued by any governments yet? 

Australia has advised its citizens to avoid travel to China, and has banned travellers from China from entering for two weeks.

• Like 2

The powers in charge are definitely not playing with a full deck IMHO. Who in their right mind puts all their eggs in one basket. The Chinese were ramping up tourism so the Thai's alienated westerners ???  You never know what is going to happen. It makes 0 sense to me.  Crazy!

Edited by garyk

From ThaiPBS today, basically repeating what's already been reported:

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/prayut-puts-brake-on-proposal-to-suspend-visa-on-arrival-for-chinese/

Prayut puts brake on proposal to suspend visa on arrival for Chinese

• February 1, 2020

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has put on hold a proposal by Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul to suspend visa on arrival for Chinese tourists fearing it would have a negative impact.

Government Spokeswoman Naruemol Pinyosinwat said the prime minister asked Anutin to consult with other government agencies concerned, especially the Tourism Ministry, on the pros and cons of such measure.

Anutin made the proposal during a meeting of the economic affairs ministers  to assess the impact of the virus outbreak on the Thai economy. 

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

On 1/31/2020 at 1:32 PM, snoop1130 said:

it might hurt the feeling of Chinese tourists

But we don't mind hurting our own citizens. Western countries and Japan are starting to restrict Chinese tourists; obviously, some other countries care more about their own people than the feelings of those from other country's. This isn't about feelings, this is about helping to stop a medical problem from traveling worldwide at greater numbers

Just give them the damn citizenship if you love the chinese so much. I have worked and lived here for 10 years, paid taxes but I'm still treated like scum by the immigration. The chinese come here disrespecting the rules of the country and bringing viruses and they are more welcome than me. This is driving me nuts, really!

• Like 1

Just to give this discussion some balance ...........

"Travel restrictions can cause more harm than good by hindering info-sharing, medical supply chains and harming economies," the head of the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Friday.

The WHO recommends introducing screening at official border crossings. It has warned that closing borders could accelerate the spread of the virus, with travellers entering countries unofficially.

Ok ............... crack on ...........