Coronavirus and drought crises to take a toll on Thai economy

rooster59

14 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

The centre estimated that in case the coronavirus outbreak could be contained by March, the number of tourist arrivals in Thailand would be lower by 2.41 million, of which 1.84 million would be Chinese. This will cost the Thai economy about Bt117.3 billion.

and in addition they became diviners.
Too strong the guys from this government ...:whistling:

But that's not all, with what (monkey) currency are we going to pay the Chinese to buy them their second-hand submarines? :crazy:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

With global economy downturn, inflated Baht and the enormous loan bubble. Are we witnessing the final hours of the teflon economy?

Yes,  a convergence of events is going to have a drastic effect on the Thai economy. We are already seeing it in the decline of the Baht and the massive loss of tourism.

The virus  or actually fear is what is driving the markets now. People are not flying; the Chinese are  in quarantine in their own country.  Goods and Services Worldwide are impacted.

Thailand does not have as much foreign currency entering and investment income will not come. 

The Thai Government is running a deficit budget and can't even get a budget approved and disbursed.

Markets and investors do not like uncertainty and there is just too much of it in Thailand.   Throw in the drought and expect a dry Sogkran - in all respects.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, rooster59 said:

UTCC president Thanavath Phonvichai said this week that the centre had evaluated the effects on the Thai economy of the coronavirus outbreak -- which affects the tourism sector and also the demand for Thai goods -- the ongoing drought, the PM2.5 dust crisis and the delay in the 2020 budget disbursement.

Nice work Parayut & Co.... almost 6 years in command and sod-all achieved except a downward trend in all areas except corruption and self enrichment for the elite, that's gone up nicely ! 

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

Could well be but it won't be their fault of course as everything is somebody else's fault !

If you dig deep enough, there will always be "explanation" for failure. 

I guess this applies to any country and any incapable system (not only Thai)

In case all excuses run out, blame the previous government ????

He only forecasts out a month or 3 due to interruption from the virus.   I dont think  its linear and can easily have a year  long lasting  effect.  I'm sure there will be a several month lag in return of tourists if and when  Thailand and all surrounding countries are given the all cured green light.  

Same with this terrible  air that has become the norm.  Kanchacaburi 500 I cant imagine.   Before I would  plan a family vacation to Thailand  in high season I would have to see that the past  season was good air after some major  government crackdown and solution to the root causes.  Many people dont do last minute  trips but plan months in advance.    

I dont expect tourist number  to previous levels for 12 months. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Elkski said:

He only forecasts out a month or 3 due to interruption from the virus.   I dont think  its linear and can easily have a year  long lasting  effect.  I'm sure there will be a several month lag in return of tourists if and when  Thailand and all surrounding countries are given the all cured green light.  

Same with this terrible  air that has become the norm.  Kanchacaburi 500 I cant imagine.   Before I would  plan a family vacation to Thailand  in high season I would have to see that the past  season was good air after some major  government crackdown and solution to the root causes.  Many people dont do last minute  trips but plan months in advance.    

I dont expect tourist number  to previous levels for 12 months. 

Not necessarily. The way it works in the industry is that very often, if the suppliers have been paid, they will not refund the payment but carry it over to a future date. Similarly, in case of credit, the tour operators promises future business in order to avoid the cancellation fees. 
So once the all clear is given, I expect that there will be a surge in tourism again. 

• Like 1

The centre, however, has not yet revised down its forecast for Thai economic growth this year from 2.8 per cent, as it was waiting to see if the government’s current and upcoming remedial measures could successfully ameliorate the problems.

And wait and wait and wait on pal????

The biggest crisis to hit the Thai economy?The winner is......the current pretend administration which is in denial about it's contribution always concentrating on looking to blame other factors when their ineptitude and greed far outweigh the excuses they proliferate.

• Like 1

On 2/1/2020 at 4:47 PM, adammike said:

Took lessons from the brexiteers,blame everything on the foreigners.

Actually, most Brexiteers blame New Labour, wealthy foreign financiers, and EU corruptocrats.

It'd be nice to see the Baht weaken a bit against the pound though - it might help tourism...

I wonder what has happened to all the junta fan boys. Their voices were so loud a few years ago, drowning out everything and everyone who was not pro-junta. Come on out boys, don’t be shy. Or have you realised that you were maybe mistaken?

• Haha 2

I find it strange that a country that relies so heavily on tourism has such crazy problems with everything that is bad for tourism ... air quality, environment pollution, unrealistic currency valuation, military junta government, democracy deficit, horrendous road safety, scams, attitude towards foreigners generally, aggressive and unwelcoming immigration policies and front line attitude of its agents, poor reactive qualities to concerns of their visitors, outright lies about everything ... shall I go on? Somehow Thailand lives in some parallel universe and really - by all normal analysis - should be heading for complete disaster. Wonder how long they can stave it all off (maybe that depends on how long they can hoodwink the Chinese into coming)?

Edited by Brigand
  • Like 1

Defiance combined with entitlement , will definitely seal Thailands fate.With the manipulated high baht remaining high to push Thailand straight into the ground.

Edited by mok199

On 2/3/2020 at 8:18 AM, hotchilli said:

Domestic economy under threat, exports in jeopardy, SME's struggling, tourism dying, non-existent water management [high-lighted by drought conditions], high baht, air-pollution threatening peoples health, waste management incapable of dealing with domestic refuse..... lack of safety on Thai roads 

it's all adding up to boiling point...

You sound suicidal