Thai woman steals 50,000 baht from handicapped Canadian, says helper

webfact

Thai woman steals 50,000 baht from handicapped Canadian, says helper

1pm.jpg
Picture: Ruk Siam News

A Thai man hired to wheel a Canadian man in a wheelchair around Pattaya has told police a story about what happened on Beach Road yesterday. 

Wanchai Pimpheng, 21, said he had been asked by Ryab B, 46, to wheel him about and take care of him. 

The Canadian is confined to his wheelchair.

When they got to Mike Shopping Mall Wanchai said he needed the loo so went inside to relieve himself. 

When he came out he saw the Canadian tourist in conversation with a Thai lady.

He asked the 30-35 year old woman if she knew him and she said "no" and walked off. 

84179329_3025880327445281_4439754006507552768_o.jpg
Picture: Ruk Siam News

Shortly thereafter the Canadian tourist asked for Wanchai to buy him a beer and so he went to a bag behind the wheelchair for funds, reported Ruk Siam News. 

It was gone. The Canadian tourist was not happy - it had contained around 50,000 baht and all his documents and passport. 

They think that the woman who struck up the conversation had stolen it. 

They immediately went to Pattaya police to report the matter and initiate an investigation. 

Source: Ruk Siam News

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-02-06
  • Sad 2

10 minutes ago, impulse said:

I've never had a travel insurance plan that paid out for lost or stolen cash. That would be like begging for fraud.

Mine does but it's for a risible amount. However I have successfully claimed for loss of cash. In many countries the popularity of tap'n'go has reduced the amount of cash people carry around (hookers and drug dealers excepted)

Edited by ThaiBunny

44 minutes ago, impulse said:

I've never had a travel insurance plan that paid out for lost or stolen cash. 

That would be like begging for fraud.

I watched 'Busted in Bangkok' yesterday where it was claimed a German woman got stolen cash refunded by insurance. Surprised me.

As to this guy, seems very dumb to put your cash behind you in a bag, where it cannot be seen. The weak ones are the target of all predators.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, colinneil said:

If this story is true... Shocking stealing from a disabled man.

Why would he be carrying a large sum of money behind his chair?

Something just does not ring true about this, even a fully abled person would be stupid carrying 50.000 baht around, but a wheelchair bound person...... Alarm bells!!!!!

When i am out, in my chair, or on my scooter, security is my first concern.

If i was robbed of my bag, only thing they would get, my phone, handful of change, debit card, as i never carry cash, any shopping is paid for using my debit card.

Agree.

I can't walk very far and therefore often use my wheelchair. I have a small multipocket black backpack which I put on backwards so the whole pack is on my chest and stomach. Plenty of pockets which are against my body and difficult for another person to access, to hold: phone, passport, documents, cash, etc. I use the pockets in the front for a waterbottle, snacks, etc.

Not rocket science. 

• Thanks 2

Horrible to commit theft from anybody. 

And also not good if you are in a wheelchair out in the city to keep your bag with money and passport at the back of your wheelchair out of your sight but where others can see it. 

13 hours ago, colinneil said:

If this story is true... Shocking stealing from a disabled man.

Why would he be carrying a large sum of money behind his chair?

Something just does not ring true about this, even a fully abled person would be stupid carrying 50.000 baht around, but a wheelchair bound person...... Alarm bells!!!!!

When i am out, in my chair, or on my scooter, security is my first concern.

If i was robbed of my bag, only thing they would get, my phone, handful of change, debit card, as i never carry cash, any shopping is paid for using my debit card.

I carry that much around and i have livrd here for 10 years and in a chair.. The mistake he made is leaving the bag behind him.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Bell1234 said:

I carry that much around and i have livrd here for 10 years and in a chair.. The mistake he made is leaving the bag behind him.

What a crazy comment for anybody to make, hopefully nobody with theft on their mind reads it.

Are you just boasting? Or just making that comment out of bravado?

• Like 2

22 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

No sense of decency what so ever. A black heart.

Coupled to no brain and this is the result... all his money, documents and passport hanging on the back of the wheelchair !

It's like sticking a roundel on your back and say "come get me"

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, mushroomdave said:

I think the helper may have made a call to a friend after seeing the bag's contents.....and then later, had to do a washroom run at the right time.  

On top of that, if they were to catch the lady and in her phone was the helper's name/number/past calls that day, then he's busted too!!  Or I would even go into his phone right away if I were the cops and look at all past calls/sms's etc.  It wouldn't be hard to figure out with that adding of surveillance cameras in Mike's.  And to add, Mike's isn't known for being the most honest of places to conduct business lol lol lol !!!

On 2/6/2020 at 10:01 AM, jacko45k said:

I watched 'Busted in Bangkok' yesterday where it was claimed a German woman got stolen cash refunded by insurance. Surprised me.

As to this guy, seems very dumb to put your cash behind you in a bag, where it cannot be seen. The weak ones are the target of all predators.

I assume he didnt put his bag there and that his carer (wheelchair pusher) put it there so that he could access it. I hate to say this, but I would be a little suspicious of that carer also....

3 hours ago, briansbiology said:

I assume he didnt put his bag there and that his carer (wheelchair pusher) put it there so that he could access it. I hate to say this, but I would be a little suspicious of that carer also....

With that much cash I doubt the carer would have returned from the loo!

On 2/6/2020 at 9:13 AM, impulse said:

I've never had a travel insurance plan that paid out for lost or stolen cash. 

That would be like begging for fraud.

But a property insurance covering for example a house back home would cover such a loss abroad.