Does the employer pay for the work permit?

Does the employer or employee pay for the work permit?

They claim that they usually front the money then deduct out of paycheck.

In my case, I guess because I'm a higher paid worker, they are asking me to just pay outright for the permit + multiple entry visa, total about 11,000 THB.

Seems sketchy or normal?

Afaik a work permit costs about 3000 and a multiple re entry permit 3800. Is the 1900 for the extension also included?

Especially in a higher paying job they should pay for your work permit and not ask you to pay.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 2

Another lesson to learn and never assume anything.

Maybe the boss is so unused to this all or does not have the time or nerve or skills to all arrange it that he hires one of the dozens of intermediate ´helpers´ and simply quotes the price quoted to him. or slaps on his own fee after having regretted your pay as being too high. Or assumes that any price from govmt is of course without the required Tmoney under the table.

On 2/7/2020 at 6:57 PM, 2rist said:

Does the employer or employee pay for the work permit?

It depends on 

1) How desperate you are for the work.

2) How badly they need you.

Got to say, I've never considered working for anyone that didn't pay ALL my expenses.

I'd just say no and walk away

How about you?

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

IMO, if the employer pays the 3,100 baht for the work permit it shows a lot how much you're liked.

An ordinary Non-B visa is only 1,900 baht if you have all docs together and able do so it at the local immigration.

You need the work permit to do your job. Let the employer pay for it. 

On 2/9/2020 at 9:32 AM, crickets said:

A good one will pay upfront for you. A bad one will give it back to you when you finish your contract. A terrible one wont pay it back at all.

And don't forget the employers, who won't be able to obtain one, period.  An unlicensed franchise of a school....

They claim that they usually front the money then deduct out of paycheck.

Usually I paid then they added to my salary.

Someone is trying to rip you off. How much of a door mat are you?

Get your visa yourself if you are desperate for work. How much more are you paid? If it's 100k  a month more, just pay it. If it's 5k a month don't.

I'd tell the company where to go.

Sounds like you work for an agency?

I guess because I'm a higher paid worker, they are asking me to just pay outright for the permit + multiple entry visa, total about 11,000 THB.

If you are higher paid then why worry about the 11,000?  That is maybe less than a days salary? 

They probably use an agent anyway so that's where most of the money goes.

As Nike would say.......

Sketchy, for the reasons provided above.

Also, the work permit is not yours. It's theirs, really. It doesn't authorize you to work anywhere else. Even reputable employers will often keep the work permits on site (letting employees sign them out if they need them for something). 

Yeah, this just screams "run away."

• Like 1

8 hours ago, scottiddled said:

Sketchy, for the reasons provided above.

Also, the work permit is not yours. It's theirs, really. It doesn't authorize you to work anywhere else. Even reputable employers will often keep the work permits on site (letting employees sign them out if they need them for something). 

Yeah, this just screams "run away."

The work permit is YOURS, not theirs. Nowadays you can work for different branches of the same company in different areas if the company informs the labour office that you will be there, meaning they don't have to apply for a new work permit in the new area as they did before.

You should keep your work permit ( just don't lose it ).

had both experiences.  Total costs with traveling and everything and months and months...can be OVER 20,000.  

This is what you do.  Tell them you will QUIT if they don't pay.  Simple.  really.  It's amazing how deep their pockets are if they like you.  I've learned how to use leverage.   If you have some self-worth, you will muster the courage and be strong in your one and only life.  Be a man!!!  Don't let them walk on you!!

if things don't work out, don't blame me.  lol.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, overherebc said:

The work permit is YOURS, not theirs. Nowadays you can work for different branches of the same company in different areas if the company informs the labour office that you will be there, meaning they don't have to apply for a new work permit in the new area as they did before.

You should keep your work permit ( just don't lose it ).

They can certainly go and cancel it.  So, yes, it's yours, but they control it.  Keep it, but they can cancel it and change terms and good luck going to BKK and fighting it in court.  if they want to cancel it, they definitely can.  

13 minutes ago, Ventenio said:

They can certainly go and cancel it.  So, yes, it's yours, but they control it.  Keep it, but they can cancel it and change terms and good luck going to BKK and fighting it in court.  if they want to cancel it, they definitely can.  

That's why they want to keep it. They make the mistake of believing if they just cancel it then they will not have to pay severence or notice payments to you.

If they do so and tell you on monday you are finished just take your contract and pay slips to your local labour office and they 'will' fight your case, for free.

Of course 'lawyers' will tell you different.

Edited by overherebc