SURVEY: Would you report an overstayer?

Scott

SURVEY: Would you report an overstayer?  

559 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Someone elses visa status is not my business. And even if I know what their status is I dont want it becoming my business.

Yes there are those who just love to go tell teacher but luckily I am not friends with anyone of that type. Nor will I ever be.

Would you not tell teacher if it was a bully, who smashed your bike and took your lunch money ? just asking.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Would you not tell teacher if it was a bully, who smashed your bike and took your lunch money ? just asking.

Is the bully who smashed your bike and took your lunch money on overstay?  

#focusonthetopic

• Haha 2

I wouldn't report anyone for anything, not even if they were a serial killer

I'm not a police informant, it isn't my business, and I don't care what other people do, as long as it doesn't directly harm me or my family.

I don't even want to know a persons name or where they live.

(and never offer that information either)

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, Scott said:

In my work, I had to get a copy of everyone's documentation for work, including the passport.   I ran into a fair number of overstayers, including a guy who had been in the country since the 70's on what had to have been an enormously long overstay.   His British passport had expired in the early 1980's and there was no Thaivisa, so he would have been on overstay again.   He had married, divorced, but had a daughter going to University.   He had a everything in his daughters name, such as the apartment, utilities etc.  

I assume he was never deported.   He had a heart attack (he was in his late 60's, I believe) and was in the hospital.   I wondered if they'd spring him on overstay, but I assume his daughter took care of things.  

I ran into a few real butt-holes who I really was tempted to make a call to immigration, but they all had wives and kids and as much as I disliked the person, I knew a few of the family members and they didn't deserve to lose a father or a husband over my vindictiveness.  

It should also be remembered that some years back it was not at all difficult to stay in Thailand and no one seemed to care very much about your immigration status.   In the past years, that has changed drastically.  

And how many years would you estimate this change?

PS:PS: And congratulations and respect for your comment which is that of a real gentlemam.

FARANG, a racist term used to describe foreginers, walking ATMs, have been extored enough over the decades, so overstay is not such an issue in my opinion.

Ater all, those that overstay must still live and so are still being ripped off and viewed as low life..

1 hour ago, Jaxxper said:

It’s not really any of my business. However if there was an overstayer that was a danger to others or himself then I would consider it.

Don't really see why people overstay, unless they are trying to disappear or avoid the authorities in their own country or are up to some nefarious deeds here in Thailand. I’m sure everyone has their own story.

In many cases, the individual concerned does not have the requisite funds to stay legally. 

• Confused 4

Not my business, however, when people break immigration laws then immigration tightens up those laws making it more difficult those who are legitimate. This was the precurser to the elimination of earnings voucher that were easily obtained until the abusers began exploiting the system. 

3 minutes ago, albertik said:

Not my business, however, when people break immigration laws then immigration tightens up those laws making it more difficult those who are legitimate. This was the precurser to the elimination of earnings voucher that were easily obtained until the abusers began exploiting the system. 

So what immigration law has been tightened up as a result of overstayers? Don't say TM30 as it has been there for years and I'm still not required to complete a TM30 in any circumstances other than when I change my permanent residence.

Edited by DannyCarlton
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Those laws I agree with, I follow, those laws I disagree with, I flout.

My neighbour consider he doesn't have to follow any  law here, and act accordingly.

Yesterday he became mad as someone was parked before his garage.

6 minutes ago, HHTel said:

I notice the OP has still not answered my question "What is the purpose of this survey".

He has of course removed 'troll' posts including mine.  That's pretty clever!

You started this thread, good on you, but at least expand on just why you've started it.

Delete this then it just means you are avoiding the question.

Does there need to be an explanation for a thread, poll, if it deemed to be interesting..? ????

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

So what immigration law has been tightened up as a result of overstayers? Don't say TM30 as it has been there for years and I'm still not required to complete a TM30 in any circumstances other than when I change my permanent residence.

As I stated...…  the 65k earnings voucher and TM 30 as well.  I stated that they tightened up on the existing laws.  The key wording was "Tightened up"