SURVEY: Would you report an overstayer?

Scott

SURVEY: Would you report an overstayer?  

559 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Oh really? Never?

Where do you draw the line?

They are involved to your knowledge with illicit activity with the underaged.

You would do nothing?

If I knew somebody was abusing kids in any way, I would certainly report them, we don't want that sort of scum on the streets.

6 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

If I knew somebody was abusing kids in any way, I would certainly report them, we don't want that sort of scum on the streets.

by rummaging a little around your home, you should find one and even several in the surrounding Wat .. and curiously they will be Thai therefore not expellable.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Tayaout said:

Not my business. If he is a danger then he will run into the police himself sooner or later. 

Are you saying that if you knew someone living nearby was a danger to kids it would not be your business?

I can't imagine reporting (or caring) about any foreigner overstaying. I don't consider that to be much more serious than a traffic ticket anyway. (I think such offenses should be more civil than criminal anywhere.) As expats in Thailand  with very limited if any rights compared to citizens, we're supposed to be immigration snitches for the police here? Seriously? That is bizarre. Now if I was aware of someone doing much more serious crime and they were getting away with it that might be different, but remember getting involved with the police even to report crimes of others is an exposure that you may end up regretting. Either making yourself a target of police attention yourself or violent retribution from the allies of the accused.  The old -- no good deed goes unpunished. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Trujillo said:

I have observed the laws of the countries I have lived in for the past 34 years. Never overstayed even one day. 

You are a guest here. Staying is not a right, it is a privilege to be respected. 

If I find you overstaying, I will report you. If you don't want to be reported, just follow the laws. I have, most do -- it's easy. 

If you think overstaying is okay, I have only one question for you: What part of "illegal" do you not understand? 

"You are a guest here. Staying is not a right, it is a privilege to be respected." A guest here???? We are respected????

Respected by whom, the Thai government???? Since when did treating us like criminals mean we are respected???? 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Have one in our village, he has overstayed I believe for 4 years now, his wife blew all of his superannuation money by buying 3 bars, gambling and had to flee from Pattaya as she couldn't pay the gambling debts back and could not sell the bars in time, all up 250,000 UK pounds, so I believe the story is. I have never met the bloke, and don't need to.

The guy is in his late 60's and lives in his sister-in-laws small house, his wife set up a noodle bar outside to survive on, now if I or my wife reporting him, what would that do, apart from separate him from his wife and more than likely get him sent back to the UK where he has no one, he is not a burden so why even bother, I don't need any brownie points. 

Live and let live.

Yes, I agree, live and let live. As long as people apply that to me.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jadee said:

I never knew there was a number - 1187 - damn that's so tempting. There are these two young teachers at my condo who routinely joke about having to hide on their school's roof when immigration officials visit. My default philosophy is "live and let live" but these two insist on riding modified bikes with insanely loud exhausts - I'm talking window-rattling, car-alarm-triggeringly-loud exhausts - every morning in 5am. I wish I could forget this number. I don't think I can handle being tempted at this level. 

If people won't live and let live, why should you? I would do anything that it takes to get these scum out of my life.

5 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

You have never broken the speed limit?

Never parked somewhere you should not have?

Never watched something on the internet that you should not be watching?

It must be some life for some people, living their life scared by their own shadow.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, digger70 said:

How do you know that one is overstaying ? Do you ask Everyone to show their Passport and look at their visa or extension? How stupid is that ,one could get ones head caved in doing that.:jap: No thanks I won't ask no one .

No, but you could overhear two farangs discussing it while sitting on their barstools.

19 minutes ago, Jane Dough said:

That's unfair.

I think he's just busy on the phone. 

Rooster

He's probably staying out of this one after the beating he took over his remarks in another thread: his dislike for overstayers, and his eagerness to snitch on them.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

So what immigration law has been tightened up as a result of overstayers? Don't say TM30 as it has been there for years and I'm still not required to complete a TM30 in any circumstances other than when I change my permanent residence.

Good post, but what about if you return after leaving the country?

8 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Its all just a money spinner and some countries milk it more than others.

People should be allowed to travel where they want and providing they are law abiding etc, live where they choose without being constantly asked for payment and inconvenienced with pointless tasks.

Agree in principle with what you are saying, however it might be problematic in practice. I don't think too many people would want fifty million ( insert nationality of your choice) just moving into their country on a whim.

I wouldn't ask, but have been told of a few. Also know of one or two who just bribed immigration for their visas (no, not using an agent, Just basically demanding an extension and getting it after paying the price).

As for reporting, only if the person was a threat - to me, my family, friends or even just to our reputations at large - some behave in ways which would quickly get them arrested back home, but get away with it here - although at the cost of not enhancing our standings with the locals who see what is happening.

Do not mix with the sort of people in this position, so never had a need to consider reporting anyone. But have heard plenty of stories about those whose behaviour is repugnant. As for the destitute, not hurting anyone, not my problem.