SURVEY: Would you report an overstayer?

Scott

SURVEY: Would you report an overstayer?  

559 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

53 minutes ago, klauskunkel said:

Only if I get a BMW Smart Car!

You are not asking enough expensive!
Request a Bugatti Chiron and while you are there also request Thai nationality; you will no longer have health insurance to show or tedious dossier to assemble each year with an endless wait for immigration.
I say that ... In Sakon Nakhon, it always happens in a good mood and when there is 5 minutes of waiting, it's the end of the world ...

Questions like this inevitably bring out the imaginary John Lennon theory of "no countries", where people should be free to choose wherever in the world they want to live, without the restrictions of any local laws.

The people who advocate such fantasies rarely think through the consequences of the mass migration, from poor and underdeveloped countries, that would ensue. Often the same people decry the deterioration of their own home country from just partially open borders.

A great theory, that would eventually (in 100's of years) result in a complete melding of the world's population, but at what cost, and what would be the leveling out point? Would academia, science, fascism or religion be the main philosophy? 

I live more in the real world, with experience telling me that open borders will not work at this point of world disparity and unrest. (and disease!) Thailand has found that out, as their previous lax attitudes to border jumpers resulted in the country becoming a haven for criminals and other undesirables.

Of course, their attempt to become more in control of who enters and stays is typically chaotic, disjointed and even bigoted.

I would report any overstayer who harms me, mine, my bank account or is noticeably harmful to the community at large.

(Unless such action would result in harm to me, mine or my bank account)

Edited by Old Croc
  • Like 1

If he/she overstayed for a few days or one or two weeks, it is probably unintentional so there is no need to report.

It's only those who are not overstayers but are working that should be reported. Is that the same number 1178 to report?

I once saw a westerner renting out motorbikes in a shop supposedly managed by his girlfriend.

56 minutes ago, mick220675 said:

I think living in a country with rampant corruption its best to keep out of other peoples problems and have as little contact with Thai officials as possible.

No I would not report any one.

Do we need to state our official name to immigration when reporting an overstayer?

If he had a criminal conviction in USA, then most probably he will be dangerous someday.

If corruption is so rampant, there won't be cases reported on news where they are deported back.

Anyway, unless the highest official is also corrupt, one can always report to the highest official where there is corruption.

Edited by EricTh

14 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Questions like this inevitably bring out the imaginary John Lennon theory of "no countries", where people should be free to choose wherever in the world they want to live, without the restrictions of any local laws.

The people who advocate such fantasies rarely think through the consequences of the mass migration, from poor and underdeveloped countries, that would ensue. Often the same people decry the deterioration of their own home country from just partially open borders.

A great theory, that would eventually (in 100's of years) result in a complete melding of the world's population, but at what cost, and what would be the leveling out point? Would academia, science, fascism or religion be the main philosophy? 

I live more in the real world, with experience telling me that open borders will not work at this point of world disparity and unrest. (and disease!) Thailand has found that out, as their previous lax attitudes to border jumpers resulted in the country becoming a haven for criminals and other undesirables.

Of course, their attempt to become more in control of who enters and stays is typically chaotic, disjointed and even bigoted.

I would report any overstayer who harms me, mine, my bank account or is noticeably harmful to the community at large.

(Unless such action would result in harm to me, mine or my bank account)

then maybe we shouldn't have a world where countries are ripped off and made poor then - then we wouldn't have this migrant problem, just a thought ???? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Reminds me on my flight here to Bangkok from London

They put on a different aircraft which meant we were allocated new seating

When we were boarding  the security people came to me and asked if the person next to me if he was my friend and had been been drinking as he was asking the flight attendants for drink

I said to them I dont know the guy I was allocated a seat next to him

It's your job to check him out

Same as police and immigration here 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Do we need to state our official name to immigration when reporting an overstayer?

If he had a criminal conviction in USA, then most probably he will be dangerous someday.

If corruption is so rampant, there won't be cases reported on news where they are deported back.

Anyway, unless the highest official is also corrupt, one can always report to the highest official where there is corruption.

I have never reported any one, but I would not give my name. But things have a habit of coming out in the end, maybe the wife tells some one you phoned.

His conviction and prison time was in Thailand (if he is telling the truth it was a set up).

Over the years any one hear will have seen endless story's of corruption, its part of life hear. His case was reported when he was deported.

Every one is corrupt, especially those at the top. Ten years ago my local Immigration office would openly offer every one the opportunity to buy there extension and many did. Things may have changed on the surface but corruption is a part of life in Thailand. 

• Like 1

I never knew there was a number - 1187 - damn that's so tempting. There are these two young teachers at my condo who routinely joke about having to hide on their school's roof when immigration officials visit. My default philosophy is "live and let live" but these two insist on riding modified bikes with insanely loud exhausts - I'm talking window-rattling, car-alarm-triggeringly-loud exhausts - every morning in 5am. I wish I could forget this number. I don't think I can handle being tempted at this level. 

Edited by jadee
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, jadee said:

I never knew there was a number - 1187 - damn that's so tempting. There are these two young teachers at my condo who routinely joke about having to hide on their school's roof when immigration officials visit. My default philosophy is "live and let live" but these two insist on riding modified bikes with insanely loud exhausts - I'm talking window-rattling, car-alarm-triggeringly-loud exhausts - every morning in 5am. I wish I could forget this number. I don't think I can handle being tempted at this level. 

You won't get far, even if you're tempted - the number is 1178.

It has been promoted as a number for anyone (Thai/ferang) to contact  immigration for I think nearly twenty years, that's how long it's been in my phone.

It's only in the past year or two it appears to be listed as a snitch-line.

Edited by bluesofa
misprit
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

Immigration likes to make our lives miserable here, why would we help them?

A good question, indeed.

I knew a guy on a long long overstay, but there's no way to report him. His daughter needed him more than anything else. His wife was either on Jaba, or on alc.

Now they found a way to go to Europe and didn't encounter any problem. Too many people here play the brain police.

My five baht, clean your own front yard first, please. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It’s not really any of my business. However if there was an overstayer that was a danger to others or himself then I would consider it.

Don't really see why people overstay, unless they are trying to disappear or avoid the authorities in their own country or are up to some nefarious deeds here in Thailand. I’m sure everyone has their own story.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

would never do anything that might bring me in contact with Thai police if not absolutely necessary

I do my immigration/visa/re-entry stuff with the police - and that's it

Agreed. I've nothing to hide, but don't want to have the police take an otherwise unnecessary interest in me.

So, even if I'm just going upcountry for a few days, I make a point of telling neighbours, my local waitresses and anyone else I know that I'm going for a new visa - I don't want to get on anyone's radar.

3 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Well, most are not going to admit they are on overstay.

Pattaya is full of them.

Mostly criminals and scammers, bail jumpers.

"I need to stay off the radar" types.

I have met a few and not reported them.  But, maybe I should have the longer I am here the more I dislike this behavior.

A complete pile of nonsense. Evidence?

• Like 1