SURVEY: Would you report an overstayer?

Scott

559 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 hours ago, Scott said:

In my work, I had to get a copy of everyone's documentation for work, including the passport.   I ran into a fair number of overstayers, including a guy who had been in the country since the 70's on what had to have been an enormously long overstay.   His British passport had expired in the early 1980's and there was no Thaivisa, so he would have been on overstay again.   He had married, divorced, but had a daughter going to University.   He had a everything in his daughters name, such as the apartment, utilities etc.  

I assume he was never deported.   He had a heart attack (he was in his late 60's, I believe) and was in the hospital.   I wondered if they'd spring him on overstay, but I assume his daughter took care of things.  

I ran into a few real butt-holes who I really was tempted to make a call to immigration, but they all had wives and kids and as much as I disliked the person, I knew a few of the family members and they didn't deserve to lose a father or a husband over my vindictiveness.  

It should also be remembered that some years back it was not at all difficult to stay in Thailand and no one seemed to care very much about your immigration status.   In the past years, that has changed drastically.  

The fine for overstay has existed for a loooong time. In the 80's early 90's the fine was only 100 baht/day. But you still had to pay at the airport when leaving the country. Those days you never heard about people hiding for immigration,but nowadays you can read about it or hear about it almost every month. Imo it's the people (or type of people) that for some reason have changed. People on overstay for months or even years are quite common now. Go figure. 

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I never reported anybody and I knew lots of people on overstay. Some time ago people talked about that because nobody really cared so it was often no secret.

There are some real bad guys in Thailand and nobody would miss them if they would not live here anymore. I wouldn't hesitate to report a$%holes like that (anonymously). But somehow they are mostly smart enough to make sure their visa is ok or at least they don't talk about it. Otherwise people would likely have reported them already. 

I never reported anybody and I knew lots of people on overstay. Some time ago people talked about that because nobody really cared so it was often no secret.

Some times ago it was rather the same with the work permits, I knew some people working without a permit, it was not so much of a secret too. It is not the case anymore.

• Like 1

For me overstaying is a misdemeanor, just as petty theft is, so I guess I'd report it but only if I had reason that it was a deliberate abuse of the Immigration system. As citizens we have duty to contribute to law enforcement wherever we can.

• Sad 5
  • Haha 1

No I am not a grass, but if someone was a danger to ordinary people, ie   a person who was continually driving or riding while drunk and I overheard that he was on overstay, yes, I would do anything to get him off the road, as he was a danger to me or my family and other innocent people.

• Like 1

Just now, possum1931 said:

No I am not a grass, but if someone was a danger to ordinary people, ie   a person who was continually driving or riding while drunk and I overheard that he was on overstay, yes, I would do anything to get him off the road, as he was a danger to me or my family and other innocent people.

Why not just report him for DUI?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1