Forum upgrade in progress! ×

UK plans to introduce border controls on EU goods after post-Brexit transition

webfact

5 minutes ago, bannork said:

So the EU saved the UK 50 million pounds.

The big boy Brexit leaders, who actually benefit from Brexit, can hardly wait the moment England commits Brexit.

After Brexit they are able do whatever they want to do. No more openness of government contracts. No more restrictions to reward the contracts to 'a good fellows', who will remember who were on their side in time of asking money 'for good causes'.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, bannork said:

Well now you mention it, what about our new blue passports. I mean we want to distinguish ourselves as separate from the EU, right? Take back control, sovereignty, proud to be British, etc.

So why is the 'iconic' new UK passport being produced by a French-Dutch company in Poland?

Is it likely to get held up at Customs at Dover on January 1st 2021?

Can't we even produce our own passports on our own soil?

E.U rules forced the UK to take the passport making contract to a European Country and not the UK

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

No, the EU cost a British company several hundreds of millions of pounds, and a likely loss of UK jobs. 

And besides, the comment I responded to was mocking the fact a foreign company will make our new passports, as if somehow it made nonsense of the Brexit argument. I've explained why his comment was misguided - to put it politely.

English company could have easily won the deal if only it would have been able to be productive enough, have skilled workers and would not have tried to make so much profit for it's owners.

Fortunately for English people, they were still protected by level playfield protection by the EU. That saved 50 pounds of people's taxes from going in to the pocket of stupidly wealthy brexiteers. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, bannork said:

So the EU saved the UK 50 million pounds.

How much will those passports cost next year when we are out No Deal? Will the procurement managers' false savings be lost in import taxes? Short sighted business, but they could support their EU masters and foreign workers rather than the ones at home.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Loiner said:

How much will those passports cost next year when we are out No Deal? Will the procurement managers' false savings be lost in import taxes? Short sighted business, but they could support their EU masters and foreign workers rather than the ones at home.

What do you think will happen when competition is restricted and government contracts can be awarded to the good fellows of the elected leaders?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TheDark said:

What do you think will happen when competition is restricted and government contracts can be awarded to the good fellows of the elected leaders?

I believe that contracts given out by the Uk Gov should be given to British companies rather than cheaper foreign companies getting the contracts 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, TheDark said:

So long as the government contracts stay in the UK and keep the good fellows of the UK workforce producing stuff, it's immeasurably better than supporting foreign business.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

No, the EU cost a British company several hundreds of millions of pounds, and a likely loss of UK jobs. 

And besides, the comment I responded to was mocking the fact a foreign company will make our new passports, as if somehow it made nonsense of the Brexit argument. I've explained why his comment was misguided - to put it politely.

The Home Office said the 5 year contract with Gemalto should save the UK about 120 million pounds and would lead to the creation of approx 70 jobs in Fareham and Heywood.

After 5 years the UK may be able to set out its own procurement rules but WTO rules apparently cover the same area.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/mar/22/contract-to-print-uk-passports-abroad-will-save-120m

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I believe that contracts given out by the Uk Gov should be given to British companies rather than cheaper foreign companies getting the contracts 

So, you are basically supporting protectionism. 

Should England therefore place high WTO tariffs for products made outside of the UK? That would protect the UK labour market, fishing industry as well as farming.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TheDark said:

Should England therefore place high WTO tariffs for products made outside of the UK? That would protect the UK labour market, fishing industry as well as farming.

I have no idea about WTO tariffs  , I just think that British passports should be made in the UK and not outsourced to the cheapest foreign bidder

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, TheDark said:

Nothing wrong with protectionism EVERY country does it in some way shape or form... Your trying to extend the point to suit yourself and its petty. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Better still if they were made in England. Do you remember when everything you bought was labelled "Made in England". Those were the days.....

Better still if everything was labelled "Made in London and the Home Counties"

Anywhere in the UK will do .

Printing is quite  skilled work though , so would have to be done in the South

Things like making rail tracks can be done up North

3 minutes ago, sanemax said:

We can eat the cake and choose where its made 

I prefer my cake to be made in the UK 

That's all good until the point you try to export English cakes to the rest of the world. Italian cakes yes, Thai cakes - oh yess, Indian cakes - sometimes. But English cakes? 

Now add reprisal tariffs to the English cakes and make billions selling the cakes all around the world. The world consumers are going to be thrilled!

That's basically the hard Brexit what is coming in 2021.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, TheDark said:

In that case, Happy English independence day!  

500_F_241147184_mbmPpuJMCLCeYiGHxnNmDTAN

Thank you.... ill take my Independence any way shape or form you care to pretend is going to happen and still LOVE IT... meanwhile the EU is already up in arms of any cuts to budgets, due to us leaving and has to find other mugs to cough up and fill the gap every year going forward while it contracts.Hopefully your country ill take on a fair chunk ????

Stay mad.

Edited by englishoak