UK plans to introduce border controls on EU goods after post-Brexit transition

webfact

11 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Come on, it's well documented that there's been an exodus of jobs from the City already due to fear of a no-deal Brexit.

If you don't want to take the Independent's word for it, look at Goldman Sachs or what Sir Mark Boleat, an ex-chairman of the City of London Corporation, has said:

"Already bleeding

But jobs are already leaving London. Banks including JP Morgan, Lloyds, Barclays, HSBC and Goldman Sachs have already established subsidiaries in other EU countries.

Read more: UK bank Lloyds joins move towards several European hubs after Brexit

Brexit could result in the loss of 75,000 jobs and up to £10 billion (€11.1 billion, $12.9 billion) in annual tax revenues, Sir Mark Boleat, an ex-chairman of the City of London Corporation, has said.

The Oliver Wyman consultancy says if the UK strikes a deal giving full market access, the impact on the City would be equivalent of 3,000-4,000 jobs. If the UK has no special status with the EU, meanwhile, the industry would lose 18 billion a year in revenue which would put 31,000 to 35,000 jobs at risk.

The so-called nuclear scenario is that the European Central Bank forces the relocation of clearing of euro-denominated trading from London to the eurozone, with the potential loss of 230,000 jobs in the City.

https://www.dw.com/en/will-brexit-kill-the-city/a-45372847

You say well documented but it's not, is it? The banks (above) are creating European subsidiaries but they are not moving en masse and limited bank movements have been two-way, not just one-way. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

OK. The £ fell approximately 10% within a week or 2 of the vote. It's fallen another 10% since then. That's a total of 20%. 10% due to Brexit and 10% due to the strength of the Baht. That's 50/50. Happy to give you a maths lesson.

Yes, but what I was talking about was the reasons why the Pound had fallen against Thai Baht . 

Half the reason is the Bahts strength , a bit of the reason was the Brexit vote and a lot of the reason was the uncertainty, is what I meant 

3 hours ago, sanemax said:

Straight after the Brexit vote the Pound fell slightly. 1 or 2 Baht , it fell a lot after that due to the uncertainty of what what happen after the vote .

10 % of the Pound falling was due to the Brexit vote, 40 % was due to the uncertainty and 50 % was due to the Bahts strengthening IMO

So with all the uncertainty gone (Johnson has a majority don't you know) how is the pound STILL 20% down? 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Excellent news then. The whole UK economy should suffer massively so that you can personally benefit. Clutching your blue passport to your chest you can enjoy your gains. Of course I would imagine that you are in a very small group of people who earn in Thailand and send money back to the UK. The much larger group of expats living abroad will be more than happy to subsidise your good fortune at the expense of their own.

Bigger picture. Imports are now much more expensive. 

So as always with Brexiteers its a case of me, me, me and the rest of you can take the financial hit. 

Why would the UK economy suffer because of a weaker Pound ?

Wouldnt a weak Pound be good for any trade deals ?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Sir Mark Boleat is an ex-chairman of the City of London Corporation policy and resources committee and he used the word could.

Ernst & Young are one of the "big four" accountancy and financial services firms. As such a firm, EY have a huge interest in continued access to the EU markets from and through the City, even though they have offices all over Europe and the EU. I don't know the validity of their numbers but I do know that they have been associated in cover-ups and scandals - you can start with Lehman Brothers for those. So, no I do not necessarily believe them. Omar Ali's name does not change my opinion, one way or the other. Why would you ask that anyway?

There may be two ways about this, in that any lost business to the EU may be replaced by business from elsewhere. 

Your links are past their sell by dates and I won't be polling the City recruitment agencies. You go ahead.

Lol, so you dismiss an entire study by a team of one of the world's top four accountancy firms because they are deviously self-interested and involved in cover-ups and scandals. Okay, that's a sensible and balanced approach.

And you think you can replace the relocation of clearing of euro-denominated trading from London to the eurozone, with the potential loss of 230,000 jobs in the City by trading the Canadian Dollar? Or perhaps by trading the Ugandan Shilling?

Are you quite serious?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, izod10 said:

Duh,  keep up with events.  No unfettered access to UK,only British passports now issued not UK/EU ones  ,hint  clue  OK  access denied, now I know its going to hurt  but out is out  who says?  Boris  lol   not a chance of unfettered access, if "right of stay" is not stamped in EU passport  ,no work/ no accomodation,no nothing   off you go       Clueless  lol  lol

What we are witnessing here is breakup of EU,nothing else,all tearing each other apart,come fishing ,clamping down of EU imports into UK   ,time is up for gang of morons

You really are clueless Here is what the UK state on their website

Who does not need to apply

You do not need to apply if you have:

indefinite leave to enter the UK

indefinite leave to remain in the UK

British or Irish citizenship (including ‘dual citizenship’)

https://www.gov.uk/settled-status-eu-citizens-families/eligibility

Irish passport holders have unfettered access into the UK no immigration stamps

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Logosone said:

So when Sir Mark Boleat an ex-chairman of the City of London Corporation, says that "Brexit could result in the loss of 75,000 jobs and up to £10 billion (€11.1 billion, $12.9 billion) in annual tax revenues"

Yes I highlighted the bit for you an underlined it. Same as George Osborne who spouted the same nonsense. Project fear even for the resilient Reamainers is laughable now. Only the lunatics actually buy into this now.

Last week it was Brexit that will damage the UK economy. Now its the Coronavirus. Just ask Mark Carney.

Edited by Laughing Gravy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

Why would the UK economy suffer because of a weaker Pound ?

Wouldnt a weak Pound be good for any trade deals ?

The UK is not a manufacturing-driven, export-based economy, it runs a big trade deficit. in addition, some 50% of UK exports incorporate imported components, which would offset any cost benefits that come with pricing goods in pounds.

And let us not forget that the UK imports around 25% of its food from the EU. These items, along with many other imported goods, will get significantly more expensive if the pound crashes. Of course, the poor  many of whom voted for Brexit, will be worst off as the pound in their pocket buys fewer things for their money.

Edited by bannork
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, bannork said:

The UK is not a manufacturing-driven, export-based economy, it runs a big trade deficit. in addition, some 50% of UK exports incorporate imported components, which would offset any cost benefits that come with pricing goods in pounds.

And let us not forget that the UK imports around 25% of its food from the EU. These items, along with many other imported goods, will get significantly more expensive if the pound crashes. Of course, the poor  many of whom voted for Brexit, will be worst off as the pound in their pocket buys fewer things for their money.

What would happen if the Pound surges ?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Logosone said:

It's not the same as George Osborne at all, this is a former City insider, who is very well connected saying jobs are at risk. Ernst and Young did a serious study which indicates that a no-deal Brexit will cost the UK trillions and bring heavy job losses.

Lunatics are the ones who ignore the obvious facts and walk blindly to their own ruin. Like the Brexiters.

Brexit, btw HAS damaged the economy. Re-read the Ernst and Young study, obviously you don't understand it yet.

Irish reporting  duh      Concentrate on ireland now onc sad sack of s.hit here  lol

21 minutes ago, sanemax said:

What would happen if the Pound surges ?

This is the wrong approach.

Currency only play a minor role in exports. The more important factor is what do the companies who are exporting decide to do with a weaker currency.

They have 2 choices adjust prices to reflect the new value and hope to sell more .

Or

Maintain the price pre weak currency levels and take the additional profit.

2 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Excellent news then. The whole UK economy should suffer massively so that you can personally benefit. Clutching your blue passport to your chest you can enjoy your gains. Of course I would imagine that you are in a very small group of people who earn in Thailand and send money back to the UK. The much larger group of expats living abroad will be more than happy to subsidise your good fortune at the expense of their own.

Bigger picture. Imports are now much more expensive. 

So as always with Brexiteers its a case of me, me, me and the rest of you can take the financial hit. 

Exactly    EU in dreadful situation   another 1 million mainy muslims about to enter EU,lost UKs contributions, all falling out over budget, ireland about to go tits up,surely the UK are in the most perfect position,perfect   IRA taking control of ireland   now excellent news    perfect storm for EU        Im 20% up on on income  come April   good news flows in for Brexiteers     cheers    keep it going you jealous pack  nothing down for you  lol

11 hours ago, Logosone said:

As the recent ban on labour from Europe clearly demonstrates.

Can you point me to where this ban on labour from Europe is documented please? 

If you're talking about the UK introducing a points based immigration system that treats all foreigners equally (i.e. doesn't favour EU citizens over others), then that's quite different to a 'ban on labour from Europe'. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

Can you point me to where this ban on labour from Europe is documented please? 

If you're talking about the UK introducing a points based immigration system that treats all foreigners equally (i.e. doesn't favour EU citizens over others), then that's quite different to a 'ban on labour from Europe'. 

It isnt,total load of c.rap

1 minute ago, Logosone said:

Normally you'd be right. But the way the pound and UK economy look now it is virtually certain we will not see a surge in the pound for a long time.

Id say June,when decision to put WTO in place,EU kaput there and then   lol

41 minutes ago, Logosone said:

It won't.

maybe so and maybe it will

don't understand you guys

some of you predicting glory for UK and the quid some predicting doom and dungeons

just as the msm and people at large have done since the runup to the referendum

wild predictions based on zilch (maybe not zilch but slogans at best) - all over the place

must ease a tad

now UK is in Brino stage, if BJ sticks to announced planning Brexit will come before next year

(now UK is pretty much a EU member as far as trade and pan European legal matters are concerned)

if BJ follows suit then you will have Brexit and be free to do whatever (within reason) before next year.

Give it a couple of years after Brexit and you can start predicting.

the basis for predictions is about as solid as the 2-storey campaign bus

• Like 1