Window Tinting

ftpjtm

I think tinting is a good idea. Some provide UV protection to the interior of the car. Honda did mine with 40% front and 60% elsewhere. It’s fine. My wife had hers redone ( so it is easy to remove and clean the glass) but the fitted 60% all around. It looked like a mafia staff car.....

We took it back after a month and got them to redo the front with 40%. Much better now.

2 minutes ago, BTB1977 said:

Don't do it. It is dangerous.  I use my sister-in-law sometimes and at night time I can't not see out the windows . I have to roll the windows down just to see if a motorcycle or truck with <deleted>ty lights are coming at me  at intersections. Plus I do not give into this whole the sun is going to kill me vampire life style.  I know people that can't have a normal life because when and where to go outside is controlled by the sun.

I totally agree...????

• Like 2

It’s also worth bearing in mind that, if you’re considering driving to Malaysia any time in the future, they prohibit cars with tinting above a certain level.

23 hours ago, ftpjtm said:

We are buying a new Chevy Captiva and of course the dealer wants to tint the window

ftpjm

Personally, I would not do it.  Factory tint is a layer of film inbetween the layers of glass. Once the car is built unless there is a different process I am unaware of, they put the film on the side of the glass facing the inside of the car.  It is easy to scratch and at some time in the future will start to peel.  

2 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

ftpjm

Personally, I would not do it.  Factory tint is a layer of film inbetween the layers of glass. Once the car is built unless there is a different process I am unaware of, they put the film on the side of the glass facing the inside of the car.  It is easy to scratch and at some time in the future will start to peel.  

I’ve never had a problem with any of the films (placed on the inside of the windows) getting scratched or peeling. 

It may be the ‘cheap’ tints which are doing this?

IF a tint were to peel (due to age) it would be easy to replace by a ‘tint company’. 

There are good reasons to have a mild tint which can reduce heat transmission by 50% (with a 30% tint (70% light transmission), there are also good reasons not to have any tint if you are driving a lot on pitch black roads in the Thai countryside at night. 

Edited by richard_smith237

7 minutes ago, rech said:

and do you know how often we should change the tint ? do they really lose their protection quality over time ? 

3M gives a lifetime warranty. Please check their website.

With cheap film, you will have endless trouble.

A friend got his tinted - including the windscreen - because he kept getting pulled over for "driving with a white face".  At which point he would get done for, well, whatever the BIB thought up - he even failed a breathalyzer once and he's teatotal due to liver damage.  ????  (his doctor went to the police station and had a shout, which killed that one)

After having it done, he gave me a lift home ONCE, I was bricking it, almost no visibility at all.  He seems happy, but I'll never get in his car after dark again.

Me, I use 2 wheels, sunglasses in daytime, night driving glasses after dark - I won't ride without some eye protection, too much <deleted> files up from the roads.

1 minute ago, DefaultName said:

Possibly none, the buyers will re-tool for their own cars, any Chevys will be imports, and we know what that does to prices.

Thailand is a RHD country and GM wont be building anymore RHD vehicles so why would a Chevy be imported ?

• Like 2

I have been driving my 12yo Vigo truck from new, with no tint and no discomfort. I have also driven borrowed and hired vehicles with tints from slight to ridiculously dark. The latter are lethal at night or in poor light such as tunnels and parking buildings.

The quality and standard of application of the film also matters: some are of poor optical quality and full of waves and streaks. Very easy to ruin by cleaning.

I also ride a motorbike, and I have two helmets - one with a tinted visor for daytime and one with a clear visor for night. 

As a retired professional in the field, I should tell you that if you NEED a tint, you should a prescribed one, in your glasses, not in the windscreen! Anemia no matter what anyone may tell you, you never need and should not wear or use any tint at nightmare especially so-called "night driving " tints. They are a massive con and very dangerous.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Grusa said:

I have been driving my 12yo Vigo truck from new, with no tint and no discomfort. I have also driven borrowed and hired vehicles with tints from slight to ridiculously dark. The latter are lethal at night or in poor light such as tunnels and parking buildings.

The quality and standard of application of the film also matters: some are of poor optical quality and full of waves and streaks. Very easy to ruin by cleaning.

I also ride a motorbike, and I have two helmets - one with a tinted visor for daytime and one with a clear visor for night. 

As a retired professional in the field, I should tell you that if you NEED a tint, you should a prescribed one, in your glasses, not in the windscreen! Anemia no matter what anyone may tell you, you never need and should not wear or use any tint at nightmare especially so-called "night driving " tints. They are a massive con and very dangerous.

You are right, but there are those worried about the naughty UV rays coming through glass. The front triple layer screen is OK but the sides are not...

As for heat, if your A/C is working it is not an issue, even my weeee Suzuki gets cold in no time...????.

1 minute ago, Hanuman2547 said:

Lucky for you Chevrolet is pulling out of Thailand.  Buy a Honda or Toyota.  Lots of dealers around and they are very reliable.  Personally I would tint the windows to reduce the effects of the sun and UV rays.  It also makes it a little harder to see who is in the car.

Naughty boy.......????....................????

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, transam said:

Well, I was thinking more about the BiB not being able to see who is driving down the road.  I hate making donations to them.  I usually have the sun visor down as well although not so much at night.

The level of tinting here like so many things else is not enforced and has become very dangerous.  In most civilized countries windshield tinting is not allowed but not so in Thailand.  Absolutely irresponsible for anyone with any decency to be running heavy tinting inside their vehicle.  A huge danger at night.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Hanuman2547 said:
22 minutes ago, transam said:

Well, I was thinking more about the BiB not being able to see who is driving down the road.  I hate making donations to them.  I usually have the sun visor down as well although not so much at night.

Its amazing how experiences, encounters and opinions vary from person to person and area to area in Thailand. 

I have a low tint on my car, one of there reasons is so that others can see a foreigner driving - I have always had the impression that we are treated with greater deference by the BiB who prefer not to have dealings with us than the other way round. I generally cruse through police stops & checkpoints etc (when driving) without so much as a further glance. 

I suspect the real reason is that we are treated with a general indifference, they don’t care if we are foreign or Thai - if we have made a minor traffic infraction they want small pay out - it doesn’t matter who we are or what nationality. 

• Like 1

On 2/17/2020 at 11:58 AM, richard_smith237 said:

I consider ‘sun protection’ as necessary. There are modern tints which prevent the penetration of UV rays whilst still permitting normal levels of light through. 

I believe 30% is the legal limit in Thailand (i.e. blocking no more than 30% of visible light). 

I’ve been in vehicles where the tint is so dark driving at night becomes difficult / dangerous. I’ve never had greater than 30% tint and I choose tints which block the most UV whilst transmitting the most light. 

Cars in Europe cannot have tint on the Windscreen or front side windows. 

Cars in Thailand have a general <30% restriction - a law which is never followed up on by the Police BTW.

I had a cop tell me to change my Silver Tint, too reflective , Never did

47 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Its amazing how experiences, encounters and opinions vary from person to person and area to area in Thailand. 

I have a low tint on my car, one of there reasons is so that others can see a foreigner driving - I have always had the impression that we are treated with greater deference by the BiB who prefer not to have dealings with us than the other way round. I generally cruse through police stops & checkpoints etc (when driving) without so much as a further glance. 

I suspect the real reason is that we are treated with a general indifference, they don’t care if we are foreign or Thai - if we have made a minor traffic infraction they want small pay out - it doesn’t matter who we are or what nationality. 

As a smoker I mostly drive around with my windows down and typically get left alone when driving or waved on at check points, From memory the times I dont get waved on is when I have my (very dark) tinted windows up !!

My car has less tint front and back, the sides are darker, OK at night if you have electric windows i simply lower the side windows at junctions if need be and reversing using side mirrors. i think it came from the manufacturer Nissan like that. you can also make the top 10 % of the windscreen darker.