Unprecedented Ruling: Israeli Imprisoned In Thailand For 50 Years To Be Transferred To Israel

webfact

Unprecedented Ruling: Israeli Imprisoned In Thailand For 50 Years To Be Transferred To Israel

prison-696x464.jpg  

Israel’s Supreme Court ruled last week that Yigal Machlouf of Beer Sheva, an Israeli imprisoned in Thailand for drug dealing (Ecstacy pills) will be transferred to Israel and continue his sentence there, Chareidim10 reported.

Machlouf was sentenced to death about 12 years ago but his sentence was commuted to 50 years of imprisonment.

The appeal to the Supreme Court was filed three years ago on the background of the deteriorating health of Machlouf, 51, who is imprisoned in difficult conditions and is not receiving the medical care he requires.

Full story: https://www.theyeshivaworld.com/news/israel-news/1834482/unprecedented-ruling-israeli-imprisoned-in-thailand-for-50-years-to-be-transferred-to-israel.html

-- THE YESHIVA WORLD 2020-02-25

• Sad 1

Under that prisoner repatriation scheme I thought they only did about 8 years in Thailand then shipped back to carry on their sentence in their own country if Im right they cannot just let him go once he gets home Thailand still has to agree to his release maybe the rules have changed these days

8 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Under that prisoner repatriation scheme I thought they only did about 8 years in Thailand then shipped back to carry on their sentence in their own country if Im right they cannot just let him go once he gets home Thailand still has to agree to his release maybe the rules have changed these days

Looks like he will be eligible for early release when he gets home. I agree with others, 12 years is quite enough.

For foreign prisoner, the continued enforcement of the sentence shall be governed by the laws and procedures of the receiving state, including those governing conditions for service of imprisonment or other deprivation of liberty such as probation, parole, conditional release or remission of otherwise.

http://www.correct.go.th/eng/transfer.html

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, Aussiepeter said:

Sounds like he's got a better result than two Australians convicted for drugs in Bali. The piece of excrement that runs Indonesia allowed them to spend ten years of misery in prison, then had them both machine-gunned to death, in order to make himself look 'good' to Muslim locals during an election. The Australian government made no attempt to stop this barbaric action and, keeps on kissing his backside. Why let folks 'get rehabilitated', if you are just going to kill them anyway ? With all its' faults, give me LOS over Indonesia any day.

Since when has an Aussie pollie ever done anything for an Aussie???

• Like 2

Nothing at all to do with the travel ban of course. Not at all.

Wouldn't be surprised if the travel ban changed, though that would be purely a coincidence. And once in Israel, this guy will be paroled on compassionate (health) grounds.

Betcha.

This doesn't sound all that controversial. He's already done plenty of time by typical international standards.

I suppose the fact that Israel is involved excites some people. May as well be Switzerland. What difference does it make?

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Aussiepeter said:

Sounds like he's got a better result than two Australians convicted for drugs in Bali. The piece of excrement that runs Indonesia allowed them to spend ten years of misery in prison, then had them both machine-gunned to death

That's the law in Indonesia, and these guys were serious drug dealers. As for "allowed them to spend ten years of misery in prison", they're the ones who sought to appeal the verdict. They were executed after the appeal process was exhausted.

Edited by Stocky

2 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

You seem to forget or maybe you don't know, many Thai people work in Israel;
they are usually hired to pick oranges.

I think this could change this year ...
In connection with the Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak in China (People's Rep.), the following changes have been published in Timatic:
ISRAEL - published 20.02.2020
Passengers who have been China (People's Rep.), Hong Kong (SAR China), Thailand or Singapore in the past 14 days are not allowed to enter Israel.
- This does not apply to passengers who only transited through China (People's Rep.), Hong Kong (SAR China), Thailand or Singapore.
- This does not apply to nationals of Israel, their spouses and their children.
- This does not apply to residents of Israel.
- This does not apply to passengers with “The Palestinian Authority" passports and their spouses.
- This does not apply to residents of the Palestinian Territory.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChipButty said:

There is a minimum time required before a prisoner is eligible to apply for a Prisoner Transfer. Not 100% positive, but it may differ from country to country depending on the Treaties they have signed with each other.
He will no doubt have to serve some time in an Israeli prison and after a few months (when the media have moved on to better stories) a lawyer will petition a court, give them a sob story and the court will release him.

Just like what happened in Canada when the murderer Michael Karas applied for a Prisoner Transfer after serving just 5 years in a Thai prison for murdering, mutilating and dismembering a young woman in Pattaya (many years ago) and dumping her body parts in a nearby swamp. His lawyer fed a sob story to a Liberal friendly newspaper which tried to play the story as though Karas was the victim, even going as far as to say that he'd served "half a decade" in prison (because saying "5 years for murder" doesn't sound like much but "half a decade" sounds like a long time to the idiots that can't figure out how long that actually is).

Despite having a long criminal history in Canada and the severity of the crimes he committed in Thailand, Karas was transferred back to Canada and released soon after. Very soon, as he was arrested again (in Canada) for a string of bank robberies he committed after being released, less than a year after applying for the Prisoner Transfer.

Apparently Canada's previous POS "Public Safety Minister" decided that 5 years was too much time for murdering some woman in a foreign country (and I told him as much in the email I sent to him). He had some lackey in Corrections Canada respond to me with assurances that Karas would serve his time and that they take into account the severity of his crimes.
What a crock of Liberal bull****. Despite his long (very long) criminal history in Canada before he went to Thailand and despite the severity of the crimes he committed in Thailand, they literally let him out within months of arriving back in Canada and he almost immediately went back to robbing banks !

Also, the headline for this thread is very misleading as it makes it sound like the guy had been in prison for 50 years when in fact it was only "about 12 years". It should have said "Israeli Sentenced to 50 years to be Transferred".

5 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

You seem to forget or maybe you don't know, many Thai people work in Israel;
they are usually hired to pick oranges.
I think there was a deal between the two countries.
Thailand returns prisoner to home and Israel accepts more Thai workers

Or you let him return to Israel we won't ban any flights!

5 hours ago, ParkerN said:

Nothing at all to do with the travel ban of course. Not at all.

Wouldn't be surprised if the travel ban changed, though that would be purely a coincidence. And once in Israel, this guy will be paroled on compassionate (health) grounds.

Betcha.

Will the first thing out of his mouth be, do you think I can get thru Thai immigration for a short visit

6 hours ago, Aussiepeter said:

Sounds like he's got a better result than two Australians convicted for drugs in Bali. The piece of excrement that runs Indonesia allowed them to spend ten years of misery in prison, then had them both machine-gunned to death, in order to make himself look 'good' to Muslim locals during an election. The Australian government made no attempt to stop this barbaric action and, keeps on kissing his backside. Why let folks 'get rehabilitated', if you are just going to kill them anyway ? With all its' faults, give me LOS over Indonesia any day.

Even the prison governor attended court to try and persuade the judge they were reformed and the death penalty served no purpose. A very interesting but tremendeously sad documentary follows them through prison, appeals and up to being shot...