Depressed By Forum - Can I Live In Lo?s

Hi guys and gals . . . .

have been making plans . . . but after reading all the forum stuff, wondering if my dreams are realisable!

I'm currently in the UK and have recently married my Thai g/f now wife :o And very pleased with that situation!

However, our plan is to come and live in Thailand in a couple of years, when TW has 'had enough' of

her UK adventure, and has probably dropped a sprog!

I am a self employed music arranger with several UK clients.

When I move to Thailand my income will drop to around $20-30k/year on which

I'm happy to pay Thai tax (if there's a way to do it)

I should also have rental income from my flat about $700-$800/month.

The rent doesn't cover the required 40kBHT/month for dependent visa, and

(from other discussions) I won't be able to get a work permit for telecommuting.

My wife is hoping to be able to get a job here (in the UK) to transfer back to Thailand with

(She has 6 years Thai airline groundcrew experience, so shouldn't be too tricky)

BUT if she isn't working, and my income from rent is below 40k BHT/month

How can we do it?

Could I declare my telecommuting income as additional rental income for tax purposes?

Could I (as now) carry on paying tax on that income in the UK (ouch - 22%)

Are there any other 'legal loopholes' that would allow me to pay my dues?

Any other suggestions?

I will be 'watching this space' (TV) for the next couple of years anyway, who knows

they may introduce some WP classification for this type of work in that time . . .

but I won't be holding my breath.

Will it be enough to have 400k Bht in a bank account? Does it have to be 'Mine'

or can it be 'Hers' as I was unable to open a Thain bank account last time I was there

and they wouldn't add me as a joint to her account. Would this change now we're married?

Sorry, lots to chew over, but please give me your considered opinion, I HAVE read the other threads, but am still a tad confused about the doability of this now!

Thanks

David (in very sunny London!)

In several years I suspect what we say now will be well out of date but:

400k is a non starter - ended last year for new applicants.

40k per month is the requirement, no exceptions. You have to make your Embassy believe your income and probably your UK tax payments will go a long way in that regard. But exactly what they accept several years down the road is pure guesswork.

There is no provision to pay tax to obtain a visa but if your wife were paying tax on her job/s at the 40k level you should meet the requirements.

For temporary use the multi entry non immigrant O visa will probably be available to those married and with bank accounts. A 90 day trip for many is sort of a mini vacation (positive spin).

As for a bank here just go branch to branch - you will find one that will open an account. Just because one says no does not mean the same bank at another branch will say no.

Haven't you heard? Good old Gordon has announced the 22% rate is being reduced to 20% from next April. OK the 10% tax band is abolished but its a nice gesture.

Not only "could" you carry on paying tax on that income Gordon will positively insist on it - if you declare it that is.

Income shouldn't be a problem as I can 'work from home' which was the plan

but there doesn't seem to be that ability - hense the question about 'disguising' it

as rental income for tax and visa requirements

If you are going to live in Thailand you should declare your status to the UK government

as Non Resident and not Ordinarily Resident and have fees for your services paid gross.

Unless you have a work permit in Thailand you are unlikely to be bothered for any tax in LOS,

especially as you money comes from abroad.

You will fall nicely into the crack, as I have done for years. :o

If you are going to live in Thailand you should declare your status to the UK government

as Non Resident and not Ordinarily Resident and have fees for your services paid gross.

Unless you have a work permit in Thailand you are unlikely to be bothered for any tax in LOS,

especially as you money comes from abroad.

You will fall nicely into the crack, as I have done for years. :o

The issue is using the income to obtain a 12 month visa extensions on grounds of marriage to Thai, as I understand the OP.

He can do as you say but will need to set up a Thai company and obtain a work permit (seems music arranging is one of the few allowed occupations) and declare the income.

He could obtain an embassy letter and he would not need to diguise his income as "rental" to obtain this. But he would be "sussed" by immigration.

Coming from a country where the lowest tax bracket starts at 45% it always cracks me up reading comments like this :o

Sophon

I'm already paid 'gross' as I'm self employed . . .

I'm not against starting a Thai 'company' per se . . . just the costs!

With an income of $25-30k which may well decline quickly once living in LOS

would running a 'company' eat all my income.

Could I get a WP as a piano teacher? and then have no students? (Or just family?)

Or would this require a company too . . . and some kind of formal qualification?

I'm not against paying tax either LOS or UK (but LOS is cheaper!)

Just don't like throwing away hard earned cash on beurocrasy! (Sp?)

D