Potential Coronavirus advice

Kevinphall

Hey guys

Had high temperature and bad cough for past 3 days, I’m generally healthy and fit (35) so just self isolated waiting for to pass. Past hour lost feeling in both my hands and shivering really bad with no ac on, also palpitations. 

Am I best to go to a hospital now you think or see It passes, conflicting info online most saying just to self quarantine but rather they worse !

i was in Vietnam last week. 

Where best to go if you recommend getting checked out I’m by mrt Rama 9. ??

Thanks ☹️ 

13 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Moved to Health Forum where it belongs.

With shaking chills and numbness on the  hands etc you need to go to a hospital now.

If you can afford it I suggest Bumrungrad as they have the capacity to test for COVID-19 (most hospitals do not and that includes some that advertise that they do).

Otherwise Chulalongkorn,  Ramathibodi or Rajavithi Hospitals (all are government hospitals). Go in through the ER. And wear a mask.

Thanks for advice

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, thequietman said:

Thanks for that invaluable gem of information. ????

"If any tourists become sick while travelling, do seek medical care early, or contact the Department of Disease Control Hotline 1422. For information and assistance relating to Thailand’s tourism, contact the TAT Contact Centre 1672 or the Tourist Police 1155"

https://www.tourismthailand.org/Articles/novel-coronavirus-2019-ncov-thailand-situation-update

• Thanks 2

As a complete novice in these matters, I just wonder how likely it is for a healthy 35-year-old to have a 'pneumonia' that isn't in current circumstances Corona-related!?

It does seem a bit unlikely ... perhaps relating to Thailand's continuing excellent record on keeping CV cases low?

Edited by mfd101

It can certainly happen.

I had a pneumonia in my 40's.

especially likely if at all tired/run down as people sometimes are after travelling.

Whether he has COVID or not I have no way of knowing, but the fact that he has pneumonia hardly means he does. Moit cases of pneumonia will not be COVID, even in countries with large outbreaks. (And most people with COVID will not develop pneumonia).

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Moit cases of pneumonia will not be COVID, even in countries with large outbreaks. (And most people with COVID will not develop pneumonia).

Really SheryL? You whose words most of us on this forum take as words from the (medical) Bible. Please take a look at this:

Also for the rest of us the hoi polloi, I spare you having to wade through the thick corona-related info/misinfo soup so just watch this clip:

Concise and helpful (especially the second half coming precisely at mid-point with a second panel). No political BS, no propaganda, no agenda and for once showing a real concern for the survival of the human race. Courtesy of the down under no less.

Any of the influenza A and B types can cause pneumonia.  About a third of pneumonia cases are caused by virus.  Bacteria can also cause pneumonia.  Less common causes are fungi and parasites.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, watthong said:

Really SheryL? You whose words most of us on this forum take as words from the (medical) Bible. Please take a look at this:

Also for the rest of us the hoi polloi, I spare you having to wade through the thick corona-related info/misinfo soup so just watch this clip:

Concise and helpful (especially the second half coming precisely at mid-point with a second panel). No political BS, no propaganda, no agenda and for once showing a real concern for the survival of the human race. Courtesy of the down under no less.

So, this time we have the community spread , ( that we did not have with SARS or MERS ) , what makes it much more difficult to control the spread of the disease .

She says that COVID-19 will be around for a long time , even closing borders etc can only delay the spread of it , not prevent it ...

She says as well that that this outbreak is the result of the relationship between people and wild animals , as people are taking away their habitats around the world and now we see many more zoonotic infections ... ---> " we cannot achieve human public health without veterinary public health and without paying attention to the environment " <---

So , that means , as long as we treat the animals the way we do now , we will get more viruses , because " there is an enormous reservoir of pathogens in animal hosts " ...

Clear , no ?

No more markets to sell wild animals . We have to treat animals better and leave their natural habitat intact .

I have appointments at Bumrungrad on Wed., March 4th. I sent an e-mail asking about how they are handling the virus. They told me to use the emergency room entrance where I will need to fill out a form before proceeding or I could fill out the form that they attached to the e-mail and send it back, which is what I did. My concern is that I am 72 years old.

22 minutes ago, streetlite said:

I have appointments at Bumrungrad on Wed., March 4th. I sent an e-mail asking about how they are handling the virus. They told me to use the emergency room entrance where I will need to fill out a form before proceeding or I could fill out the form that they attached to the e-mail and send it back, which is what I did. My concern is that I am 72 years old.

And are you symptomatic?

Because if not there is nothing to be gained by going to the hospital about this, if anything it may expose you more.

Unless you have travelled to one of the listed countries or been exposed to someone who has, once you fill out the form you will be told you are not at risk and the whole trip will have been a waste at best.

• Like 2

I think what Streetlite is saying is that he has a routine hospital appointment and is concerned about visiting a hospital during this crisis because he is elderly. I also need to visit my hospital for a blood test and have put it off twice as I am sure that there are many more cases of CV in Thailand than reported and  I don't want to visit a potential disease hotspot in Pattaya where the authorities are more concerned over Tourist Income than my health

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, chilly07 said:

I think what Streetlite is saying is that he has a routine hospital appointment and is concerned about visiting a hospital during this crisis because he is elderly. I also need to visit my hospital for a blood test and have put it off twice as I am sure that there are many more cases of CV in Thailand than reported and  I don't want to visit a potential disease hotspot in Pattaya where the authorities are more concerned over Tourist Income than my health

Yes, that is what I am saying. I too go for blood tests every 3 months, skin checkup and now a cataract check. I take several prescribed meds that I need to take daily and am afraid that if I stop them abruptly things may get bad. I'm keeping the appointment. I'll let everyone know how it works out.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, streetlite said:

I take several prescribed meds that I need to take daily and am afraid that if I stop them abruptly things may get bad. I'm keeping the appointment. I'll let everyone know how it works out.

You are aware most medications can be obtained from a local drug store without doctors prescription here?  As cost is often a fraction of hospital cost most people do buy locally even when under a doctors care.  There are several online sources that many medications can be obtained directly to your home.  

That said I have been in large hospital several times in last week and very few patients.  They have just set up thermal scan on entry.  Many workers without masks (due to reported shortage it appears). 

Edited by lopburi3

5 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

So, this time we have the community spread , ( that we did not have with SARS or MERS ) , what makes it much more difficult to control the spread of the disease .

She says that COVID-19 will be around for a long time , even closing borders etc can only delay the spread of it , not prevent it ...

She says as well that that this outbreak is the result of the relationship between people and wild animals , as people are taking away their habitats around the world and now we see many more zoonotic infections ... ---> " we cannot achieve human public health without veterinary public health and without paying attention to the environment " <---

So , that means , as long as we treat the animals the way we do now , we will get more viruses , because " there is an enormous reservoir of pathogens in animal hosts " ...

Clear , no ?

No more markets to sell wild animals . We have to treat animals better and leave their natural habitat intact .

Unfortunately, there are a number of countries in Africa where unrestricted hunting and consuming of "bush meat" is rife.  Such animals who are close to the human species - monkeys, baboons, chimpanzees, etc - are prized, and killed and eaten in large numbers, with an accompanying health risk.  There has long been speculation that HIV/AID's made the jump across the barrier between animals and humans in just such a way, and started in Central Africa.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, streetlite said:

Yes, that is what I am saying. I too go for blood tests every 3 months, skin checkup and now a cataract check. I take several prescribed meds that I need to take daily and am afraid that if I stop them abruptly things may get bad. I'm keeping the appointment. I'll let everyone know how it works out.

Oh I see. In that case makes sense but I think the advice you were given was for people concerned they may have the virus. They likely misunderstood you.

You do not need to go through the ER.  Just attend as usual. Wash your hands often and use hand sanitizer.

I was in a large government hospital just last week. Everything as normal. Slightly more masks in evidence but if I hadn't been looking for it I wouldn't have noticed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, allanos said:

Unfortunately, there are a number of countries in Africa where unrestricted hunting and consuming of "bush meat" is rife.  Such animals who are close to the human species - monkeys, baboons, chimpanzees, etc - are prized, and killed and eaten in large numbers, with an accompanying health risk.  There has long been speculation that HIV/AID's made the jump across the barrier between animals and humans in just such a way, and started in Central Africa.

You are right , in Africa as well ... If that ' bushmeat ' practice does not stop , the viruses will not stop to re-appear , and the consequences will be devastating .

I don’t think they actually tested me specifically for coronavirus, she did say if can’t diagnose may have to go different hospital so presume that’s for that testing. They did chest x ray, blood test and tests on my phlegm and said it was bacterial pneumonia, they wanted to keep me in for one night observation but I asked if it was risky me saying no and she said we would prefer it as you have a fever of 39.5 but if you want to go home and come back in if you feel short of breath again you can, so I opted for that. Still feel rotten still fever (just in the a afternoon and eve strangely).

I miss my appetite the most ☹️ and very bored. 

Thanks for well wishes x