Eating in the fifties

JWRC

I remember well dining in the 50s. We had to wear a jacket and tie for dinner which was always  at 8 PM. When we had guests it was usually a black dinner jacket.

My father would take me down to the cellar to choose a nice, white or red wine explaining to me about the different qualities and tastes. I will always remember my first evenings home from boarding school when my mother cooked my favourite dishes.  Poached fresh salmon with home-made mayonnaise and new potatoes. Big difference from dreadful school school food. On Sundays my mother would make a nice curry with all the condiments. 

There was no TV so after dinner we would play croquet on the lawn.  On weekends tennis on our court which gave us a good appetite. 

Those were the good old days for me. But I left the UK in 1954 returning 12 years later but everything had changed. I didn't stay long and left again for good.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, rickudon said:

In the 50's ......

Breakfast - cornflakes, milk, toast and jam, cup of tea ..... rarely a real 'English Breakfast'.

Lunch - school dinners, say no more, Saturday Beans on toast, Sunday -roast dinner.

Evening meal - boiled meat, boiled potatoes, boiled peas! Or tea-time - sandwiches, cakes and tea.

We didn't have a lot of variety back then did we!

In the 60s

Breakfast was Cornflakes or Whetabix (No GMO unlike now!) Tea (off course) Toast and Marmalade, rarely an English (so rare i don't recall one!)

Dinner, school meals! - there are still some things I wont eat that they used to try and force down us! Saturday - yep Beans on toast, Sunday - Roast - Yum!

Tea, lots of boiled food, occasionally the chip pan came out! Peas were processed or garden, we didn't have a choice! Potted meat sandwiches were considered a "treat"!

Mum wasn't a great cook but was a great baker they said, unfortunately I have never liked "pies" or cakes, never eaten a piece of pie or cake in my life.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

we would cruise around the neighborhood looking for stuff to steal. Ah, memories, memories!

Your childhood resembles mine a lot more than "gamini" does. ???? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

What a beautiful story. I have similar memories. My Mom insisted that we wash our hands with soap for dinner which was always when Dad got home from working Overtime at the cat food cannery. He would come home, look in the ice box and send one of us out for more beer, explaining that cheap beer was OK because you dont taste it after the first 6. I remember my first night home from the reformatory, Mom cooked my fav,  Captain Crunch Soup, far better than the slop on the steam line. We didnt have a TV so after dinner, we would cruise around the neighborhood looking for stuff to steal. Ah, memories, memories!

When I had soap for dinner it was generally a result of some foul language.

• Haha 1

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2020 at 1:15 PM, 4MyEgo said:

Also no talking when papa is at the table, strange though when I finish and leave, the talk is full on, and then I return for a laugh and stand there while everyone is silent and then I say walking away, can't remember why I came here....lol, my wife and I get a buzz in disciplining the kids, 

Pathetic

• Confused 3

6 hours ago, SiSePuede419 said:

Everything today is better than the 50's.  Cars, telephones, airplanes, satellites, TVs.

Why wouldn't food in the 50s be inferior to today, too?

Blind nostalgia. ????

LOL. In NZ back then most people had a garden and grew their own veges. The food they did buy was not processed and full of chemicals like the garbage we have to eat now. Meat, fish, bread etc- all fresh food bought as needed.

1 hour ago, Paul Catton said:

I still try to grow our own fruit and veggies in suburban Auckland.

Can have either Mandarin or Navel Orange in my pillowcase at Xmas. 

20200303_094520.jpg

20200303_094709.jpg

20200303_094735.jpg

I'm impressed. Even more impressed that you haven't sold it off to developers to build horrid units like in Papamoa. Good for you.

12 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Lard, tripe, sheeps hearts, black pudding, sugar on bread sandwich, chips cooked in lard, tizer, corona pop and other assorted horrors- no wonder I became vegetarian !

Thick chunk of bread soaking in dripping..... Aloy mak.

Bit of cow heel and thick seem tripe, nothing better.

Bring back the old days i say.????????????

• Like 2

All washed down with a drink of Creamola Foam....(at least in the pre-Coke era);

Chivers Blackcurrant jelly (with Carnation milk, of course);

Foot-powered scootering down a hill;

Trebor Refreshers

Airfix kits ....

These are a few of my favourite things.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, yang123 said:

These are a few of my favourite things.  

I was always never adverse to:-

Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens, but preferred the Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes, ????

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

Thick chunk of bread soaking in dripping..... Aloy mak.

Bit of cow heel and thick seem tripe, nothing better.

Bring back the old days i say.????????????

Yep, get them kids back up chimneys!!!!☻

• Haha 2

On 3/1/2020 at 10:28 AM, 4MyEgo said:

Hoodies in the house or at school in my opinion show disrespect, as for the streets, well when and if they hit the streets, and wanna be part of that mentality, well they will be 18 and the highway is a that way, which would tell me that I failed to get through.

Image result for gif arrow right

I'm guessing you're looking for validation for your actions and decisions. You won't get it here. If respect has to be taught it is not earned. If I behaved like you I wouldn't be surprised if my kids installed a dancefloor over my grave.