Britain tells the EU: we shall not sell out our fishermen

snoop1130

21 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

The price of Danish Blue was 258Baht for 820 grams.
Incredibly cheap. Have never seen an import cheese here so cheap for years.
31 Baht for 100 grams.
The cheapest cheese in macro, and you have to buy at least a Kilo or more, is 50-60 baht per 100 grams.

The poster must have been to a different Siamburi to me. The price you mention is nearer the ballpark for the cheaper cheeses. The problem is that they are cutting it and packing it themselves so each piece is priced on weight and on some cheese the price goes down the larger the piece. There is quite a wide selection so not easy to be specific. Most comes from Australia and with some, like Edam, they have both Australian and Dutch, with the Australian being a good bit cheaper.

Danish Blue and Gouda are not ones I would have looked at.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, luckyluke said:

Except here, and in a specific context, I never mention my pension.

And this is not to show off, as my pension is not spectacular at all in Belgium.

It may be considered as such for the British,  as they have a really small pension.

But that's up to their government.

Each country has his own priorities,

it seems the well - fare of the pensioners in the U.K. is not a top priority for the British government.

Priceless,

"I never mention my pension" then you go on to say:

And this is not to show off, as my pension is not spectacular at all in Belgium.

It may be considered as such for the British,  as they have a really small pension.

But that's up to their government.

Each country has his own priorities,

it seems the well - fare of the pensioners in the U.K. is not a top priority for the British government.

????????????

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, vogie said:

Priceless,

Shows how things can be interpreted differently.

And especially how different we are on "The Continent" and in the U.K..

"Different" doesn't mean, in my optic, that one part is better or worse.

We have all our own identity, concepts,

even humor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, luckyluke said:

It seems that British like to live on their own, being apart;

certainly one of the reasons why they left the E.U..

In Pattaya they speak a language, claiming to be English, but that no other one can understand, except for the words "f..k" and "f...... g", they use at profusion, and strangely  in an understandably way for everyone. 

That is only retired SAS blokes....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

The poster must have been to a different Siamburi to me. The price you mention is nearer the ballpark for the cheaper cheeses. The problem is that they are cutting it and packing it themselves so each piece is priced on weight and on some cheese the price goes down the larger the piece. There is quite a wide selection so not easy to be specific. Most comes from Australia and with some, like Edam, they have both Australian and Dutch, with the Australian being a good bit cheaper.

Danish Blue and Gouda are not ones I would have looked at.

Let's not kid ourselves, good cheese is horrendously expensive in Thailand. And that will be the situation in the UK very soon.

Yes, you can get cheaper Gouda made in Germany from Tops or Australian Edam. Who in their right mind buys Australian cheese? Or for that matter Danish cheese? I certainly would never look at Danish or Australian cheese, except with a look of pity to express my vast disdain for such mediocre attempts at cheese.

But even these imitations of true European cheese are still more expensive in Thailand, than they are in Europe, and will be so in the UK. Not to mention the quality is considerably inferior.

Edited by Logosone
  • Haha 2

Yes, because we all know Morgan cars are everywhere. You can't walk the streets in Bangkok, Morgans everywhere.

To be honest, I can't remember EVER seeing a Morgan car outside the UK.

As for Rolls Royce aero engines, they have long been a problem for Airbus due to faulty manufacturing and a number of other issues. So much so that Airbus is now about to switch to GE engines. Whether Rolls Royce aero engines can survive is doubted by many:

https://aviationweek.com/air-transport/opinion-can-rolls-royce-survive-its-own

But it's a fair point, even if UK manufacturing has declined and now only represents 20% of the UK economy, the other being services, there are still a few things that are made in the UK.

Pharmaceuticals would be an example.

But one has to take the figures with a pinch of salt. BMWs and Toyotas exported from Britain are counted as British exports. Even if profits go to BMW and Toyota.

http://www.worldstopexports.com/united-kingdoms-top-exports/

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Logosone said:

No, I am looking at the full, true, picture, you are not. The typical net contributor figures are based on simplistic 'what did the EU pay us, what did we pay to the EU'. However, that's not the full reality.

The full reality is that the City of London thrived during the days of membership in the EU, substantially because of the very fact that UK domiciled companies could get passporting for their products and services in the EU.

Without the EU passporting rights many international banks, brokers, fund managers and the like would never have set up shop in the City. Of course it is not easy to quantify the exact figure, because some would have anyway, but many would not.

The same with tourism. Some people would have come anyway, others came because the Eu legalframework made travel very easy and cheaper.

Same with workers, some came to the UK because the EU made movement of people easy, others would have come anyway.

Whilst we can not quantify exactly these financial advantages the UK gained from EU membership, we certainly know they existed and would have pushed the UK easily into a net benefactor category.

As far as Tourism, this is not a wild guess without substance, it is an informed insight with considerable substance. London has seen record number of visitors while in the EU.

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2016/may/20/london-record-visitor-numbers-2015-31-5-million

Now where did these tourists come from? By far, indeed a VERY VERY VAST MAJORITY, of those visitors come from EU countries, as you can see here (table on the right):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_the_United_Kingdom

Tourists from France and Germany alone are DOUBLE the number of US visitors. Of the top ten tourist countries, EIGHT are from the EU. Add the figures up.

Now, to argue that the cheaper and document free travel which the EU has promoted played no part in this is simply false.

On child benefit, I agree with you, Romanians should not be able to claim child benefit for children in Romania on the UK tax payer. It's perverse. However, it is the UK government paying this, allowing this and doing it. Take it up with the UK government. 

Regarding National Insurance, all I know is that I paid National Insurance, I have the card to prove it. What's more, I was NEVER repaid the NI contributions I paid in the UK, even though, thankfully, I don't live in that country anymore. So feel free to apply that sum to make good the money lost on payments for child benefits. 

Of course the VAST majority of workers in the UK from the EU are not 'posted' workers, but are people who go there on their own initiative.

Again, I fail to see any reason why you could be happy the UK has left the EU. EU membership was an overwhelming benefit to the UK.

There are two ways of looking at the EU membership.

One view is from the wealthy, which I suspect is your situation.

You've done well, and I respect your views.

The second view is from the poor and working class, which is my

viewpoint, where, since 1973 food banks have increased from a

handful to over 600, child poverty is now in the millions,

homelessness is rife, job opportunities poorly paid, and zero hours

contracts for the desperate. personal and family debt at record

levels. It is for the less fortunate majority, the EU has been a disaster.

That is why they won the Brexit referendum.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Yes, because we all know Morgan cars are everywhere. You can't walk the streets in Bangkok, Morgans everywhere.

As for Rolls Royce aero engines, they have long been a problem for Airbus due to faulty manufacturing and a number of other issues. So much so that Airbus is now about to switch to GE engines. Whether Rolls Royce aero engines can survive is doubted by many:

But it's a fair point, even if UK manufacturing has declined and now only represents 20% of the UK economy, the other being services, there are still a few things that are made in the UK.

But one has to take the figures with a pinch of salt. BMWs and Toyotas exported from Britain are counted as British exports. Even if profits go to BMW and Toyota.

Morgan Cars are Italian owned. Morgan cars are known and owned worldwide..

https://www.morgancars-usa.com/

• Like 1

6 hours ago, luckyluke said:

It seems that British like to live on their own, being apart;

certainly one of the reasons why they left the E.U..

In Pattaya they speak a language, claiming to be English, but that no other one can understand, except for the words "f..k" and "f...... g", they use at profusion, and strangely  in an understandably way for everyone. 

Fortunately we are not all like that. I live well away from Pattaya and all the other cities, and whilst I am married to a Thai with a dual nationality Thai/British son, my nearest farang full time neighbour lives 5km away, is Belgian and speaks very little English. My next nearest farang neighbour are a Brit on one side of the highway and 2 Aussies on the other side about 27km away.

I meet up with a few farangs about once a month for lunch, beer and a chat. I am comfortable like this.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

That's right - leave the EU and give the nasty party a thumping majority, because tackling inequality and striving for social justice have always been at the core of all nasty party policies. 

The nastiest party wears Yellow, but lets not head in that direction again eh? 

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Logosone said:

If you wanna see a bunch of Morgans rather than the odd one, go to the US.

Guess that will decline now that Morgn last year discontinued building cars with V8s.

Unwise not to offer V8s if you want market expansion for such cars in the US.

Rolls R also produce marine engines

and marine dynamic pos. equipment

(both pretty good stuff - but sizeable in terms of "heipennies" I don't know)

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, talahtnut said:

There are two ways of looking at the EU membership.

One view is from the wealthy, which I suspect is your situation.

You've done well, and I respect your views.

The second view is from the poor and working class, which is my

viewpoint, where, since 1973 food banks have increased from a

handful to over 600, child poverty is now in the millions,

homelessness is rife, job opportunities poorly paid, and zero hours

contracts for the desperate. personal and family debt at record

levels.

It is for the less fortunate majority, the EU has been a disaster.

That is why they won the Brexit referendum.

no problem with your lead in,

but how you manage to conclude the way you do

what did EEC do to prevent UK from prospering?

(and without the help of UK cabinet and HoC)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RuamRudy said:

You are making light of it but my one sentence is totally correct. It is not the EU that is responsible for the rampant inequality in the UK. How long is it since the report linking Tory austerity measures to 120,000 early deaths was published, and how many more have died since, because the Tories remain in power? Yet the post above claims that our poor are struggling because we were in the EU? You couldn't make it up!

Total tosh....

• Like 2
  • Sad 1