Ministry updates list of high-risk destinations

snoop1130

"Taiwan, with its health care system ranked No. 1 for two years in a row in the Health Care Index, has advanced medical skills and cutting-edge health technology that can help in controlling global epidemics. In recent years, for instance, Taiwan has hosted several workshops with the United States on measures to prevent dengue fever, Zika virus, chikungunya virus, enterovirus, and tuberculosis for those countries in need. With its state-of-the-art disease prevention capabilities in line with the International Health Regulations, Taiwan has much to offer. Excluding Taiwan from WHO not only hurts the fundamental human rights of its 23 million residents but also prevents people around the world from obtaining quality assistance from Taiwan."  

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/02/28/taiwan-who-coronavirus-china-international-organizations/

Next to, or right along side, Japan, Taiwan is best able to actually fight the virus, and yet they are shunned.  If struck by the virus, your chances of survival are much higher in a place like Taiwan.   Petty politics putting lives at risk.   Glad that does not happen in the paradise known as Thailand.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I can't tell from the OP article whether the self-quarantine rules by country are only meant to apply to Thais coming back from those countries, tourists arriving from those countries, or both?

Read the full article....

It is VISITORS, and Thais returning, from these countries will be subject to. 14 days self quarantine.

Two separate groups  .

17 hours ago, BobbyL said:

All returnees from these nations and territories must self-quarantine for 14 days, he said.

Impossible to control. What about the tourists arriving from these destinations? I guess that is fine. 

And number 6 on the list of things to do: Tell the truth hahahahahahahhaha

1 hour ago, ehs818 said:

I'm scheduled to visit the US in June, flying thru Seoul, S. Korea. Does connecting thru that airport mean that I should self quarantine upon my return? Or is that only required if I spend time outside of that airport? I don't plan to leave the airport but do have a 5 hour layover there. Hmmmm..... Just looking for clarification!

As of today, SK is on the direct flight quarantine list for the US. Looks like you'll be in quarantine, coming and going.

Perhaps the Thai Health Minister should relax the visa rules for the time being, I’m on a 90 day visa which comes to an end next week, I need a 30 day extension, I’m being told to get that extension I need to leave the country, then I will get my 30 days extension when I return to Thailand, so I’m being told to leave which means I have to go to busy airport in Bangkok where there are lots of people from all over, fly to another country and then return, all the time running the risk of coming into contact with someone who is infected with the virus, ALL FOR THE SAKE OF A STAMP IN MY PASSPORT GIVING ME 30 DAYS MORE.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, BobbyL said:

All returnees from these nations and territories must self-quarantine for 14 days, he said.

Impossible to control. What about the tourists arriving from these destinations? I guess that is fine. 

This is the point! Why are people from these high risk places allowed into the country? Especially from China? Seems strange. 

8 minutes ago, Brian Dewhurst said:

Perhaps the Thai Health Minister should relax the visa rules for the time being, I’m on a 90 day visa which comes to an end next week, I need a 30 day extension, I’m being told to get that extension I need to leave the country, then I will get my 30 days extension when I return to Thailand, so I’m being told to leave which means I have to go to busy airport in Bangkok where there are lots of people from all over, fly to another country and then return, all the time running the risk of coming into contact with someone who is infected with the virus, ALL FOR THE SAKE OF A STAMP IN MY PASSPORT GIVING ME 30 DAYS MORE.

Nope rules are rules

4 hours ago, Tayaout said:

Not it changes nothing. 

"Those who do not have a permanent residence or lodging in Thailand are required to show officials, upon arrival, evidence of where officials can locate them during the 14-day period." 

Since I come to Thailand as a tourist or on non-o I have been asked for the address where I will be staying. 

and visitors to Thailand from these areas will be subject to 14-day home quarantine and will have to adhere to health related follow-up measures.

The whole article is rather confusing

even if tourist are being treated differently - you have to ask how that makes any sense

so Thais coming from Italy have to self isolate but Italian Nationals don't

maybe you are smarter than me 

17 hours ago, christophe75 said:

Do not forget to ask "please" first.

Okay, now, can someone sane on this forum can explain why they continue to focus on "returnees" ?

What about the people from China, Japan, SK, Italy, France etc... who arrive in Thailand, for tourism, business or whatever other reasons ?

It's insane.

So if a Thai visits France, and then come back : 14 days quarantine (fair enough)

But a french guy, who lives in France, and who arrives in Bangkok to spend 2 weeks holidays... what do we do ?

From a statistical point of view : the french citizen represents a higher risk to be infected.

Compared to the thai tourist who just spend 1 week in Europe.

The low level of this pseudo governement, is hurting. Nothing less.

More countries will now do this so no matter where you travel from or to - if it is high risk locations the 14 day self isolation will need to be done, but who in THailand will monitor it ......555 ........No-one!

12 minutes ago, Brian Dewhurst said:

I don't think you will get an extension. The IO are probably telling you that you might get a 30 days visa free if they let you come back. 

1 hour ago, nglodnig said:

Me neither. I am travelling from Singapore to Thailand TOMORROW so am anxious I don't spend 14 days a in a room. Dare I suggest this FAKE NEWS? I've been googling frantically all morning and can nothing to corroborate this story. 

I had no trouble finding it on CNN and on a Chinese new source. I have posted these links on this thread. 

Of course (as is becoming increasingly frequent) I'm confused.

How does this announcement affect passengers transiting through Singapore on the way from the UK to Thailand?

We have family coming over at the end of this month, whilst I'm sure they will be more than happy using the pool and topping up tans it would be nice for them to be able to go out.

1 hour ago, nglodnig said:

Me neither. I am travelling from Singapore to Thailand TOMORROW so am anxious I don't spend 14 days a in a room. Dare I suggest this FAKE NEWS? I've been googling frantically all morning and can nothing to corroborate this story. 

Please keep us informed what you find out and what actually occurs.

Is your airline any help?

1 minute ago, 30la said:

Thailand is missing, one of the countries most at risk also because nobody in the government is telling the truth!

They are in a way they just call it pneumonia instead of covid 19 , can't have the rank and file getting concerned. ????

• Like 2

2 hours ago, humbug said:

Wonderful from gangster regimes, CCP China covered up this virus in early December, made sure that their belt and road buddies kept the borders open to the master race, and now the world can live in a state of paranoia, while the sheepish WHO the Public relations dept. of CCP China, who are not allowed in Wuhan, admitted yesterday that the virus has a worldwide death rate of 3.4

Lets just remind ourselves about where we are, a land with 42 cases and freezing cold NSW Australia, where penguins go to mate reported 9 new cases yesterday

Boo!

The commies are coming to give you a nasty dose of flu. ????

• Haha 1

Macao has had zero new cases for a substantial period of time. Taiwan has less cases than Thailand. Hong Kong’s cases seem under control. I guess the Thai government is lumping them in with the mainland in order to toady up to their masters in Beijing. Maybe Prayut and co will get new Rolexes from Beijing.

• Like 1

It seems that given the current spread of the virus globally, short of banning all flights in and out of Thailand or submitting all arriving people via air, land or sea to 2 weeks locked up in quarantine somewhere, both of which are never going to happen. The best we can do now is educate people on best ways to avoid catching the virus and hoping that hot humid weather does greatly impact new infections similar to what happened with SARS. 

3 minutes ago, Dutyfirst said:

It seems that given the current spread of the virus globally, short of banning all flights in and out of Thailand or submitting all arriving people via air, land or sea to 2 weeks locked up in quarantine somewhere, both of which are never going to happen. The best we can do now is educate people on best ways to avoid catching the virus and hoping that hot humid weather does greatly impact new infections similar to what happened with SARS. 

In a survey of 700 people in Hong Kong at the height of the SARS epidemic in 2002, 23 per cent of respondents feared they were likely to become infected. In the US, 16 per cent of respondents to a survey felt they or their family were likely to be infected. The actual US infection rate was 0.0026 per cent. https://www.smh.com.au/business/the-economy/eat-drink-and-be-merry-for-tomorrow-the-virus-won-t-get-you-20200303-p546ck.html

I expect similar results with this coronavirus

Edited by ThaiBunny
  • Like 1