Society doubts government’s legitimacy: newspaper columnist

webfact

Society doubts government’s legitimacy: newspaper columnist

By The Nation

800_0fe3cd386f79b9f.jpg?v=1583225821

The Cabinet

Even though the censure debate is over and the six ministers have maintained their positions, the government is heading downhill as society doubts the government’s legitimacy, which is more important than the vote in the House of Representatives, Thansettakij newspaper columnist “Erawan” said. 

The government has to realise this fact and tackle the “legitimacy” issue very carefully "or they will head faster to the bottom because a failed economic administration that has affected Thai people has not been solved”. Moreover, the coronavirus outbreak has worsened the situation, the columnist said.

The ministers have to handle the crisis of fear more professionally and with an integrated approach, allowing ministries to collaborate, while Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha must have men of brain to deal with the situation, not men with power, or the government will not survive it.

Erawan also said the government cannot neglect political rallies by students and it has to face the truth that people are not pleased with their government and find solutions to resolve the conflict. 

“And if they still deeply believe those students are just red shirt activists and Future Forward Party supporters, they might have to rethink it because they might get lost in the political conflict of the kind seen many years ago,” Erawan added.

This downhill situation is reflected in rumours of a Cabinet reshuffle while the overall status is not stable, showing that some parties in the coalition government have just tried to recruit more MPs from the dissolved Future Forward Party in order to bargain for more for ministerial posts.

These actions demonstrate a vicious cycle of the political landscape, in which politicians are often shortsighted, Erawan said.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30383266

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-03-04
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, webfact said:

Even though the censure debate is over and the six ministers have maintained their positions, the government is heading downhill as society doubts the government’s legitimacy, which is more important than the vote in the House of Representatives, Thansettakij newspaper columnist “Erawan” said. 

I hope he's ready for the "fake news" military squad taking him away for conditioning for saying such things

it was previously called "attitude adjustment"

meanwhile 6 million voters in Thailand have lost the MP's they voted for

is it time for a new election

something needs to happen fast before it all boils over  

• Like 1

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha must have men of brain to deal with the situation

Lol quality translation. Hang on... there are no brains here! :tongue:

Hoping some risings-up occur in not too distant future and the good folk do some squeezing. Beloved Thailand is being flatlined.

1 hour ago, PatOngo said:

Damn! They were quick to pick up on that! ????

Indeed. The article does seem to make society look a tad thick given what has been going on since 2014...

• Like 1

I wasn't here in the Thaksin days, and people go on about how much of a free lunch it was for the Government in his day.

This lot currently are the worst i've seen in all my days from.any country. Can anyone who knows take a stroll down memory lane and say if Thaksin's were even a patch on this lot?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, z42 said:

I wasn't here in the Thaksin days, and people go on about how much of a free lunch it was for the Government in his day.

This lot currently are the worst i've seen in all my days from.any country. Can anyone who knows take a stroll down memory lane and say if Thaksin's were even a patch on this lot?

I’ve been in and out of Thailand since 2005. I couldn’t tell you exactly how good or bad it was before as I was much younger and didn’t pay attention to these things. But I can tell you it has got much worse since 2014. Maybe people 10-15 years ago just didn’t talk about it too much. Now, it seems that everyone is talking about how bad things are getting. That most definitely didn’t happen pre 2010, IMO. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, z42 said:

I wasn't around then either but it's fairly clear that, as with almost all governments everywhere, some good things were done, and some bad. Thaksin himself clearly had & has a brain however.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, smedly said:

I hope he's ready for the "fake news" military squad taking him away for conditioning for saying such things

it was previously called "attitude adjustment"

meanwhile 6 million voters in Thailand have lost the MP's they voted for

is it time for a new election

something needs to happen fast before it all boils over  

When is that next coup planned for? There are a few wanting the job ATM... Fool & idiot

while Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha must have men of brain . . .

Or how about a few women, as from the photo it appears there's only one in the present Cabinet?

Having said that, in these liberated times it's not always easy to identify an individual's gender. . .

• Like 1

5 hours ago, z42 said:

Nothing to choose between them.

It's not the government, it's the "system" that begs for change

That's what the students want, that's what 6 million voted for.

PTP (with it's mentor T lurking in the background) didn't/doesn't want to change it, they just want to exploit it, same as the current mob.

FFP hated by both sides of the "old coin" for wanting to change it.

FFPs greatest contribution has been to let the dissent/change genie out of the bottle.

(That only became feasible after the inception of the "New Era").

It's not going back in.

5 hours ago, z42 said:

I think he was just as bad but did it in a more sly/clever way by helping out the poor and got a lot of support. In the end he just got too greedy.

1 hour ago, CraigInBangkok said:

I think he was just as bad but did it in a more sly/clever way by helping out the poor and got a lot of support. In the end he just got too greedy.

I would imagine it wasn't about greed, but about gaining too much influence and blocking certain factions from feeding at the trough.

They aren't interested in the economy. They are interested in keeping the status quo. The old criminals and Ma Fia they claimed to have removed, are in the government now.

So many criminal enterprises run by the Police and Army. It has been that way for decades. I remember walking down lower Sukhumvit in the 90's with someone pointing out to me the establishments run by the Police and the ones run by the Army....

Not everyone wants to do business with assiduous criminals. So their options are limited.

They've filled their boots, but they are still not satisfied. Embarrassing themselves pretending to be Minister of this and that. Power crazy.

• Like 1