just wonderin.

moose7117

just wondering about stuff.

we all know that the coronavirus has been blown out of all proportion, WHY ?

newspapers are talking global recession, from a glorified flu ?

are they deliberately trying to crash economies ?
and blame it on a silly virus ?
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Do we all know that?

I think we can agree that in the moment a lot more people die because of traffic accidents - especially in Thailand.

But that's the situation now.

Who knows how that situation will change and when it will change and where it will change?

It seems the virus spreads pretty fast if it, and the people who transport it, are not restricted.

So I guess at some moment people and governments make the decision to restrict travel and contact with others.

At what point that happens and when it should happen is something to argue about.

Should we wait first for the first cases in the country, city, neighborhood? Or better be careful too early?

And if fewer people go out and work and fewer people go shopping and to restaurants and fewer people go on holiday then that obviously is bad for business.

If is out of proportion? Maybe. But do you really want to wait until it is soo bad that you think: Someone should have done something earlier in time?

you are absolutely right it spreads very fast

• Like 1

we all know that the coronavirus has been blown out of all proportion, WHY ?

Because of fear. Once the feeble-hearted get into full-on panic mode there is no end to the nonsense they come up with.

I've seen pics of English women wearing plastic boxes on their head and grown Chinese men wearing nappies on their head.

It's fear.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, moose7117 said:

America seems to be promoting this whole thing.

It seems for some Americans it's more important how that virus will influence the presidential elections.

How many people die is just collateral damage - as usual for many in the USA.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, moose7117 said:

so does the hysteria and the fake news.

Is it an excuse to break China's economy ?

Not Donald ,he says it's all a hoax, it will soon go away, and anyway we will soon have a vaccine .

regards worgeordie

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, moose7117 said:

I'd say Trump is down playing the whole thing.

• Like 1

Err on the side of caution...potential for 10s of thousand of deaths is a real possibility...some health officials say look for this virus to re-emerge next year...

Or...take the attitude that you are indestructible and carry on as usual...????

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, moose7117 said:

Maybe nothing would surprise me with what the US would do maybe they developed the flu virus. ????

I must disagree with Lacessit 

All the news reports I have seen suggest that the fatality rate is close to 2%, very close to that of seasonal flu.' Also many sufferers have symptoms so mild that they ignore them or do not even notice they are ill. A BBC report earlier this week suggested that this latter number may be as high as those reporting. If this is so, the fatality rate drops to about half of  that of seasonal flu. Whatever, the fatalities are almost exclusively confined to the very elderly and/or those with existing serious conditions.

Also all are agreed that face masks are a waste of time.

One thing is for sure.

You do not get the correct numbers from face losing people who believe it's bad to tell the truth.

I think it's better to use non Thai sources.

In this statistic, Thailand is on an amazingly low percentage  of infected/dead people. Who'd believe that?

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6?ocid=eventhub

Screenshot (625).png

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, marko kok prong said:

Ha,this could be the first stage,then the bodies start coming alive and eating people Zombie plague i am ordering a full set of motorcycle leathers,and boots,ever tried to bite through that stuff,no way!!!

That won't protect you. Here's how it could be......

The virus is only a little bit smaller. 

zombies.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Maybole said:

I must disagree with Lacessit 

All the news reports I have seen suggest that the fatality rate is close to 2%, very close to that of seasonal flu.' Also many sufferers have symptoms so mild that they ignore them or do not even notice they are ill. A BBC report earlier this week suggested that this latter number may be as high as those reporting. If this is so, the fatality rate drops to about half of  that of seasonal flu. Whatever, the fatalities are almost exclusively confined to the very elderly and/or those with existing serious conditions.

Also all are agreed that face masks are a waste of time.

My understanding is that

1) the fatality rate is higher than the current flu viruses

2) face masks reduce the spread of infection if worn by carriers

3) if they reduce your risk of of catching the disease by a small amount, that may be immeasurable but still cost-effective.

4) the purpose of travel restrictions is not to save travellers from the risk of infection, but to protect communities from the spread of the disease

5) at some time in the future, this virus will probably become endemic and we will accept it

6 hours ago, transam said:

I think the OP has booked a cheap holiday in LOS and wants comforting........????.......????

nah, i spend most of my time in LOS, i just go working in other places a bit.

On 3/6/2020 at 11:14 PM, Lacessit said:

1/ COVID-19 is apparently highly contagious.

2/ Some people infected with coronavirus are asymptomatic. They can transmit the virus to other people without even knowing they are carriers.

3/ The death rate thus far is significantly higher than flu.

4/ Travel bans and quarantines are causing quite a few sectors of economies to flame out. The airline industry uses a lot of fuel, so there is a knock-on effect.

5/ China exports about 90% of the world's antibiotics. That supply chain is strangling.

6/ To date, there is no vaccine and no cure. It's a lottery.

Yes, I'd say there are reasons to worry, and take sensible precautions.

Cars kill far more people in the past than flue etc, yet sod all done to prevent that. Corona is the big thing now, just as swine flue was and avian flue was. It's what the media does. Every day on the "news" I hear how many people were killed on the roads, but never ever anything "good". IMO the media are out to make us fearful because they think it sells, and they will get rich off of it.

• Like 1