Getting a visa in Vientiane

My passport is nearly full and I need a new one soon. I was thinking Cambodia but don’t really want to go there.

I have one tourist visa from Vientiane.

If I went and stayed there for 60 days do you think I would have a better chance of getting new Thai tourist visa and I could get new passport in Thailand.

Or do you think it’s better to stay on safe side and just go Cambodia?

i know Vientiane and Savannakhet are more strict now. But don’t know if staying there for 60 days will buy me good favour.

cheers!

Is the one you got in Vientiane the only one you have gotten in recent history?

Vientiane is not as strict as Savannakhet. Just be prepared to show the equivalent of 20k baht ($700) and proof of accommodation when you apply.

Not sure staying in Laos for 60 days would help.

You will need to make an appointment to do the application.

• Like 1

Going to Cambodia would not give you a better chance of a tourist visa than going to Vientiane. Phnom Penh frequently denies tourist visa applications. Kuala Lumpur, Yangon, Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi are possibly a little better. Being out of Thailand for a month or so before applying for the visa might well improve your chances of a successful application. Vientiane is attractive if you are from a country entitled to visa exempt entry into Thailand because, if denied a visa, you should be able to enter visa exempt via the Friendship Bridge without difficulty.

• Like 1

OP, Get a new passport in Thailand first.

Fly to somewhere like HCMC and obtain a setv, would be one option. Depends on history in Thailand over last several months. Also depends how long you want to stay in Thailand. Your OP is bit confusing.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Is the one you got in Vientiane the only one you have gotten in recent history?

Vientiane is not as strict as Savannakhet. Just be prepared to show the equivalent of 20k baht ($700) and proof of accommodation when you apply.

Not sure staying in Laos for 60 days would help.

You will need to make an appointment to do the application.

The Vientiane visa is from almost exactly 2 years ago.

16 hours ago, BritTim said:

Going to Cambodia would not give you a better chance of a tourist visa than going to Vientiane. Phnom Penh frequently denies tourist visa applications. Kuala Lumpur, Yangon, Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi are possibly a little better. Being out of Thailand for a month or so before applying for the visa might well improve your chances of a successful application. Vientiane is attractive if you are from a country entitled to visa exempt entry into Thailand because, if denied a visa, you should be able to enter visa exempt via the Friendship Bridge without difficulty.

I was just going to go to Cambodia to get new passport then apply with fresh passport.

It only has less than a half dozen pages anyway, but I'd rather not hang about there for a few months if it can be avoided.

16 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, Get a new passport in Thailand first.

Fly to somewhere like HCMC and obtain a setv, would be one option. Depends on history in Thailand over last several months. Also depends how long you want to stay in Thailand. Your OP is bit confusing.

Unfortunately no time to get new passport in Thailand.