I have a capital one credit card which occasionally gets  declined when trying to use it on the few occasions I use it during the year> Unfortunately I don't have a smart phone so I can't get a text message from capital one asking me to input a number code they have sent me to verify my identity. On a recent attempt to use my credit card about a month or so ago Capital One declined my card and I had to get money from the bank. Upon returning to my apt I checked my computer and Capital One had sent me an email asking me to verify the transaction that they had declined. I have a flip phone but with a thai phone number so capital one can not send a text message to my flip phone. Short of bringing my laptop with me are their any other ways to use my capital one credit card in the event I get declined by capital one when trying to use my card?

I also have been using Capital One for many years and had the same problems. Many of the US banks/ccard companies now want to send verify texts to a US mobile phone numbers.

I now use this service and it seems to have solved that problem:

https://hushed.com

I now can receive texts and calls to a US number anywhere in the world via the internet.

There are many other companies that also provide this service.

Actually, you can get text messages on a non-smartphone.  Believe me, I remember having to triple-tap a key to get the right letter back in the early 2000's. 

Sounds like you're confusing two things.  You have a Thai number which CapitalOne will not text and saying that you can't receive text messages because you don't have a smart phone.  Almost any phone sold today can receive a text message.  It's that CapitalOne isn't going to pay the international fee to send you a text message.

One option would be to sign up for Google Voice (if you can, from overseas) and forward your US number to your Google Voice number.  Google will then email you text messages. 

However, ultimately, you're going to need to get a smart phone because Google won't forward text messages to an overseas number.  But, at least you can have a US number and get a Google Voice alert with the text message and email when people text your US number. 

The other option is to quit using CapitalOne and use a card/bank that doesn't flag Thai transactions (Thailand is on most bank's radar as a high-fraud country). 

But, again, just buy a smartphone.  You don't have to install a bunch of stuff on it if you don't want to.  It's becoming more and more commonplace to be required to have one.  Even my wife's aunt, who is so technically challenged she can't figure out how to use an ATM, has a smartphone and uses LINE to call my wife. 

IMHO, the only reason to have a non-smartphone would be as a burner type phone. 

10 minutes ago, calbts2 said:

I also have been using Capital One for many years and had the same problems. Many of the US banks/ccard companies now want to send verify texts to a US mobile phone numbers.

I now use this service and it seems to have solved that problem:

https://hushed.com

I now can receive texts and calls to a US number anywhere in the world via the internet.

There are many other companies that also provide this service.

How would be be able to access the internet on a phone that can't even receive text messages (even though, technically, his phone is probably capable of it)? 

Just now, Don Mega said:

I only use a phone for calls hence I have a Nokia 3310.... can also play snake too If I get bored.

I'm not big on games or social media but I still buy smartphones because of the utility factor.  I still correspond with a lot of people back home and texting would be too expensive on both sides so the various chat apps are very useful (WhatsApp, Signal, Telegram).  Email access when out and about is also very important (and it seems like it would be important to OP as well).  Maps.  Looking up stuff while on the go (i.e. movie times, etc).  Also, every so often, people don't want to give out a number, like my last AirBnB where the owner only wanted to correspond via LINE. 

4 minutes ago, digibum said:

I'm not big on games or social media but I still buy smartphones because of the utility factor.  I still correspond with a lot of people back home and texting would be too expensive on both sides so the various chat apps are very useful (WhatsApp, Signal, Telegram).  Email access when out and about is also very important (and it seems like it would be important to OP as well).  Maps.  Looking up stuff while on the go (i.e. movie times, etc).  Also, every so often, people don't want to give out a number, like my last AirBnB where the owner only wanted to correspond via LINE. 

I fire up my tablet for all that malarky.

• Like 1

Just now, Don Mega said:

I fire up my tablet for all that malarky.

So you carry two devices with you at all times?  I would rather buy one device that fits in my pocket. 

What's your aversion to smartphones, BTW?  I can understand the privacy aspect (which I totally respect, but you can install privacy-focuses OSs on smartphones these days) but beyond that I don't get why someone would intentionally give up the convenience.  Curious.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, digibum said:

So you carry two devices with you at all times?  I would rather buy one device that fits in my pocket. 

What's your aversion to smartphones, BTW?  I can understand the privacy aspect (which I totally respect, but you can install privacy-focuses OSs on smartphones these days) but beyond that I don't get why someone would intentionally give up the convenience.  Curious.

No, I carry 1 device (the Nokia 3310)..

• Like 1

What about bringing my cell phone (not a smart phone) with my US phone number I use when back in the states and give capital one that phone number. Would capital one then be able to send me a text message to that phone in Thailand if I use my credit card in Thailand to purchase something?

• Like 1

You really need to get a cheap smartphone and start using a few basic communications apps.  In your opening post you said when your card had been declined that when you got back to your residence and checked your "email" on your computer you saw the email that Cap1 had sent you...asking your to confirm whether it was you or not.  So, if you had had a smartphone where you could also check your email (like gmail, outlook, etc) you would not have to receive a text (a.k.a., SMS).   If  you had receive that Cap1 email on your smartphone Gmail/Outlook app you could have just pressed the button confirming it was you and your card would have been unblocked immediately.

With Cap1 they give you multiple ways to receive a 2FA codes....via mobile text (and Google Voice works with Cap1), a Voice call to you where a nice computer voice tells you the 2FA code (but you need a US number like maybe a MagicJack number, TextNow number, etc which have mobile apps which work fine here in Thailand to make/receive calls for free), or using the Cap1 mobile app.    See below snapshot for a Cap1 acct logon.

image.png.00d7ab93c06872bb69c5b34ca7658520.png

5 hours ago, watgate said:

What about bringing my cell phone (not a smart phone) with my US phone number I use when back in the states and give capital one that phone number. Would capital one then be able to send me a text message to that phone in Thailand if I use my credit card in Thailand to purchase something?

In theory, yes, if your calling plan includes international. 

Back when I was living in the US, I had the T-Mobile One plan (I think it's $50 per line) which had international data and roaming included in the package.  So, I got texts and could use data in Thailand or just about anywhere in the world (there are a few countries it won't work in). 

But, if you don't have an international roaming and data package, you would either be charged international rates for the texts or they may not even send them to you since your phone won't be connect to the local cellular networks. 

capital one dropped the email security code option last october.  also no longer possible to access online account from overseas or if using a vpn.

spoke with a rep and supervisor on skype trying to get account unlocked.  not even if you're stuck in quarantine overseas due to the virus.

1 minute ago, ChouDoufu said:

capital one dropped the email security code option last october.  also no longer possible to access online account from overseas or if using a vpn.

Incorrect regarding unable to access from overseas or if using a VPN....I access my Cap1 acct all the time from Thailand and using a VPN.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pib said:

Incorrect regarding unable to access from overseas or if using a VPN....I access my Cap1 acct all the time from Thailand and using a VPN.

wonder if it's vpn specific?  i'm using a 'fast' one, logging on via los angeles.

3 minutes ago, Pib said:

Same here.  No problem with my CapOne account(s).

26 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

wonder if it's vpn specific?  i'm using a 'fast' one, logging on via los angeles.

Could be if your VPN connection is crappy....may seem fast but if it's really providing a crappy connection in terms of dropped/misdirected packets.     If using an OpenVPN connection try setting it to OpenVPN "TCP" for OpenVPN "UDP."   A lot of VPN providers default to using OpenVPN UDP but you can usually can that in the VPN app settings.  TCP ensures no packets gets loss where UDP does not.  UDP is usually faster...fine for things like streaming video, but there is practically no checking for loss data packets which is critical for many connections like mbanking/ibanking logons.

By the way, that Cap1 logoin snapshot above was done with a VPN connection...used a Houston VPN server only because my address onfile with Cap1 is a Houston address.  But a LA connection would have worked also.   People use VPN connections all the time to log onto financial accts---even when they are location in the US simply because they want the added protection of a VPN connection not that is really needed since a HTTPS connection is already being used....HTTPS is just as secure as VPN connection except your actual location is also seen.

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1

I empathize with you. I do not use Smartphones. I do not want to be tracked or have my data sold for corporate profit. What has happened is that it is easier for banks to demand you have a number they can text. Since so few people do not use smartphones, they don't care if they lose a few customers. You are a digital orphan.

The smartphone is a brilliant invention. The problem is the way private businesses developed the technology. They did it on their own terms without any meaningful regulation and we use the Internet and apps - THEIR WAY. The internet and social media do not have to be that way. Remember in most cities the biggest buildings are owned by banks, so who is in charge here?????

21 hours ago, digibum said:

Actually, you can get text messages on a non-smartphone.  Believe me, I remember having to triple-tap a key to get the right letter back in the early 2000's. 

Sounds like you're confusing two things.  You have a Thai number which CapitalOne will not text and saying that you can't receive text messages because you don't have a smart phone.  Almost any phone sold today can receive a text message.  It's that CapitalOne isn't going to pay the international fee to send you a text message.

I would agree, I was getting text messages from various entities for years before smartphones came about. I had 2 small nokias, one UK sim card and the other Thai. The UK sim was a pay as you go, still works and held as an emergency when travelling, must be nearly 20 years old.

I now use a smart phone with dual sim, UK and Thai.

I ran into this 2FA verification issue with Capitol One and my other financial accounts. Problem is that many of these virtual phone number services don't support receiving short number sms that these bank/credit cards use. This one does http://anveo.com/enter.asp  It's cheap but the website is hard to navigate. It works fine with Capitol One and most of the others but not all of them.   

23 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Perhaps it is time to buy a basic smartphone that could be used to check your email if they will send emails for approval.

Agreed - but the problem can rear its ugly head again if you travelling out of country where your registered phone number doesn't work if they send a otc to it.

23 hours ago, digibum said:

How would be be able to access the internet on a phone that can't even receive text messages (even though, technically, his phone is probably capable of it)? 

A 20 year old phone can receive text messages. That's not the problem in this case. 

I have got a Capital ONE UK credit card. I too was hit not by the lack of smartphone but because they are only working (or can be installed) in the UK. When i protested i was put on a "special register" (not for the first time ha ha) and now they phone my OVERSEAS number and a voice message gives me the code. You should ask for the same service.