How Many People on This Forum Have the Flu or a Cold Now?

NCC1701A

28 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Did they not ask you to do a blood test for COVID-19 ?

It was before all the crazy stuff from the whuflu got in the real headlines. My doctor said since I had only been in San Kampheang and no further afield, she just told me it was a ordinary virus and just to rest. Still, my brother-in-law bought this <deleted> home from Bangkok and he had been on the BTS. I stayed at home and

just didn't go out. None of my family went anywhere for two weeks. Mum who is in her 60's was pretty crook but she is fine now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'am, at the moment suffering a bit from classic hay fever symptoms (blocked and runny nose, watery eyes  etc) which I get every year when our longan trees are full of blossom.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, totally thaied up said:

It was before all the crazy stuff from the whuflu got in the real headlines. My doctor said since I had only been in San Kampheang and no further afield, she just told me it was a ordinary virus and just to rest. Still, my brother-in-law bought this <deleted> home from Bangkok and he had been on the BTS. I stayed at home and

just didn't go out. None of my family went anywhere for two weeks. Mum who is in her 60's was pretty crook but she is fine now.

Very responsible of you and the family...kudos to you and glad to hear you are all well and recovered.

Note to self, lock front gate, draw blinds down, do not answer mobiles ????

• Like 2

Have been lucky when it comes to colds and flu.  Get short bouts of sinusitis, I attribute to air pollution, but had much worse sinus problems growing up in Arizona than here in Thailand. 

Am thinking 43 years of drinking alcohol and licking pussy has given me immunity (so far)

Drinking more vodka and less beer to stave off any bad microbes that want to get inside me currently.

Using hand sanitizer all the time when out and about now.  Added ~20% aloe vera gel, so doesn't dry my hands out so much.   

Side note, my son attends an international university in Bangkok, 14,000 enrollment.  He has not heard of anyone coming down with flu.  His school and others are all still preparing for online classes if virus does come to the point that schools close to prevent spread.  He also rides the BTS there and back 5 days a week.     

Health and Happiness all.  Be safe out there!

Edited by Skallywag
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, poohy said:

So most people when they say they have the flu ..........its a cold!!!

Quite right, I must have had hundreds of colds, but only had flu once in my life. It was so bad that for a time I thought I might not come through the other side.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Very responsible of you and the family...kudos to you and glad to hear you are all well and recovered.

Note to self, lock front gate, draw blinds down, do not answer mobiles ????

Yeah, it was hard on the brother-in-law. He needed to work but I told him to stay home and I covered his loss from not working. His wife was sick as well and is five months pregnant and she was really crook. I am about 80% recovered but still have flem on the chest a touch. Pollution in CM is not helping at all.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, tifino said:

The other day... sitting in the Plaza FoodCourt:  ( an aussie shop btw)

watching the HealthyHabits Stall food handlers... 

she had these same gloves on, for the whole time...

- doing prep of breadrolls stuffed with meats and salads, cheeses, meats, tomatoo etc in the Rolls

- all the while, also handling customer cash back'n'forth

- going straight back to same gloved fingers, massaging the next Rolls contents... 

cycle repeating...

Hence the reason I do not eat out, that said, if I do, it's usually at the same venue's that both my wife and I deem clean, as we can see them prep the food, just have to worry about the flies after that.

Used to order a soup from a vendor up the road and some Thai food the other, the soup place was busy one night, and I watched them whipping everything with this tea towel that was being used to whip everything, including the timber chopping board where they were slicing the meat, eeeeew, moved on didn't I, never to return, as for the Thai food place, it was a phone order, and when I arrived, she was busy with other orders, our order sitting there covered in flies, she just waved them off and handed them to me, but not before she put them in a plastic bag, how thoughtful, oh well, the soi dogs were very appreciative of my generosity, albeit one seemed to be a little annoyed as it could have been mildly pet pet for him ?

Blessed to have a wife that loves to cook anytime and venture into farang foods which me and the kids mostly eat, albeit it for her and the Thai boys, pappaya, smelly fish, etc, etc, yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeuk, inside kitchen for farangs, outside for smelly Thai foods, a harmonious balance in our household.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, totally thaied up said:

Yeah, it was hard on the brother-in-law. He needed to work but I told him to stay home and I covered his loss from not working.

Even after he gave you it, wow, you are a bigger man than me mate.

Good to see there are no COVID19 symptoms here,and it seems there may soon be antibody tests to see if people have caught this disease and not been aware of it,either through no testing or not experiencing any symptoms.We could all actually be super spreaders without knowing and if we haven't been testing ourselves then we are just as culpable as those that have been accused of doing the same thing by some on this forum.It just shows that getting the true numbers is extremely difficult.

Here's a quote from an ABC article yesterday.

"We will have a test that will be able to do antibody assessments fairly soon, and that will be very important to actually detect how many have had this virus and not known it.

"We do know that a lot of people have a very, very mild disease and may not even notice it."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-09/coronavirus-updates-live/12037620

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

am just curious. Forget about Covid19. How many of you are experiencing typical cold or flu symptoms? 

Headache, mild sore throat, cough, runny nose.

Nah, nothing of that, but I do have a serious hang coming up. Been drunk since 12th of January, and still fighting the virus from entering my holy grail of flesh and alcohol.

2 minutes ago, totally thaied up said:

I am lucky I got a good brother-in-law. He works hard in construction and has a child on the way now. My wife is very excited about the child as she is unable to have children after a motorcycle accident gutted her. He rebuilt our Lana House at no cost to me apart from product costs during his time off. As you know, I am pretty sick and he often drives me to the doctor. In fact, I think he is a bigger man then me by a long shot. I landed a good family and I am thankful for that.

As the old saying goes, what goes around, comes around, well done !

ironically I am suppose to be going to Aetna in Hua Hin today or tomorrow to renew my insurance. Very helpful people there. 

thank you everyone for your responses so far. it does help me get a perspective of the normal cold/flu rate. 

2 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Had it a few weeks ago, recovered then two weeks or so later got it AGAIN ! 

Just getting to the end of it now.

Started with tightness in the throat, difficult to swallow, then running nose, throat eased off to become cough. Lasts about 10 days or so all together. No noticeable fever at anytime just drained in energy.

Didnt bother seeing the Doctor on second round, knew what it was and "tiffy" & Brown leopard stuff from 7-11 sorted it out ! ????????

You do know the brown stuff has tincture of opium in it? Just saying......

It's a bit like the old cough medicines that had a lot of alcohol in them, at least the patients died happy.

1 hour ago, CGW said:

Give credit where it is due! your immune system kicked into gear and "sorted" it out, with a little bit of help, kinda like it was "designed" to do ????  ????

People seem to be forgetting that most have immune systems that work very well, more so if they are nurtured with good food and rest. ????

There is a considerable body of evidence regular massage boosts the immune system. I have Thai massage twice a week, and am discussing the need for more with my girlfriend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

There is a considerable body of evidence regular massage boosts the immune system. I have Thai massage twice a week, and am discussing the need for more with my girlfriend.

Yes I try to do the same and it all ends happily.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Nah, nothing of that, but I do have a serious hang coming up. Been drunk since 12th of January, and still fighting the virus from entering my holy grail of flesh and alcohol.

That would explain a lot.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, darrendsd said:

Do you ever go out? The town is dead

i go out every night. the town is packed with tourists. but lets stay on topic. i really want to hear about flu in Thailand. thank you.

Edited by NCC1701A

Nothing at the moment, it was the start of January that I had the Flu (had the standard UK Flu injection in Nov 19), and was almost over it by the time I flew back to the UK 23rd Jan 20.  If the Virus was in the news in Jan though, I would have been concerned.

The Thai Schools are now off, so we're not going out very much, and we will tend to try and avoid crowded areas or restaurants, or supermarkets (we try to go early or a 15 min dash in and out).

We're flying in a couple of weeks, so fingers crossed we don't catch any bugs!

35 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

You do know the brown stuff has tincture of opium in it? Just saying......

It's a bit like the old cough medicines that had a lot of alcohol in them, at least the patients died happy.

only the small ones have tincture of opium

Started on Last Tuesday, started to have a sinus issue and congestion. No fever, but a slight sore throat.  Took both Nyquil at night and Dayquil during the day from Tuesday night until Saturday and by Sunday I was doing good, congestion gone, and no sinus issues after 6 days.  Lots of green stuff expectorated on Saturday and Sunday, but by this morning, all is good.  7 day run of a definite sinus and chest cold.