Vietnam suspends visa-free travel for 8 European countries over coronavirus concerns

Vietnam suspends visa-free travel for 8 European countries over coronavirus concerns

REUTERS.jpg

A police officer wears a protective mask as he guards the quarantined house of a coronavirus infected patient in Hanoi, Vietnam March 9, 2020. REUTERS/Kham

HANOI (Reuters) - Vietnam on Monday decided to temporarily suspend visa-free travel for citizens from eight European countries amid growing concern over the coronavirus epidemic, its government said.

The temporary suspension applied to citizens of Denmark, Norway, Finland, Sweden, the United Kingdom, Germany, France and Spain, the government said in a news release on its website.

The move comes after the Southeast Asian country recorded an additional 14 cases over the weekend, of whom 11 were in patients who had travelled from Europe.

The government said it would consider the same measure to countries that have had more than 500 total infection cases or more than 50 cases reported in a day.

In all Vietnam has 30 confirmed cases of the disease caused by the virus, 100 suspected cases under quarantine and 16 cases of patients who have recovered, its health ministry said.

The country earlier halted visa-free travel for Italian and South Korean over the virus concern.

(Reporting by Phuong Nguyen; Editing by Alex Richardson)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-03-10
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Does that mean residents of those countries can't travel to Vietnam? if not then wouldn't they just apply for a visa

Im only summising but the visa exempt time is 15 days, the quarantine period is 14 days if screened with the virus. I guess they are trying to stop the quick in and outers who could riddle the country with the virus
If they still offer visas for 1 month or longer, people can still be quarantined for 14 days yet still enjoy the country on longer visas perhaps? 
Vietnam seems to be doing very well at keeping a lid on it compared to other countries in the region

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

I am due to fly to HCMC on Saturday

I am a UK Citizen, holding a UK Passport, but I am living in Thailand, and have done so now for several years.

Will this affect me ? or can I still travel, as I will be flying from Thailand.

Yes it affects you as you will no longer qualify for the visa-exempt entry.

You can still apply for a visa at the Embassy in Bangkok, Consulate in Kohn Kaen or an eVisa at the website that Ubonjoe referenced in his post.

The visa-exempt ban on British and 7 other European nationalities is in addition to the following.

https://www.balglobal.com/bal-news/vietnam-multiple-new-covid-19-travel-measures-implemented/

Multiple new COVID-19 travel measures implemented

5 Mar 20

VIET NAM

IMPACT – HIGH

What is the change? The Vietnamese government has implemented multiple new travel measures to halt the spread of COVID-19.

What does the change mean? Travelers arriving from Italy or Iran who left those countries less than 14 days ago will be denied entry or will be placed in a government quarantine area. The Immigration Departments in Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City have temporarily stopped issuing visas of all categories to Korean, Italian and Iranian nationals. Visa exemptions for citizens of South Korea and Italy have also been temporarily suspended until further notice.

• Implementation time frame: Ongoing from March 2.
  • Visas/permits affected: Any visa used for inbound travel from the target countries and locations. Initial/new work permit and re-issues for Korean and Chinese nationals will also be impacted.
  • Who is affected: All travelers from Iran, Italy, South Korea and COVID-19-impacted areas. Korean and Chinese nationals working in Vietnam or wishing to do so may be affected as well.
  • Business impact: The new travel measures will affect all forms of travel from the targeted countries and COVID-19 areas, including travel for business.
  • Next steps: The new travel measures are in force until further notice. Employers should expect that any employees who are in the target countries or areas will be denied entry, placed in a government quarantine or be required to complete a medical declaration questionnaire upon arrival.

Additional information: The Ho Chi Minh City Labor Department has temporarily stopped accepting applications for initial/new work permits and renewals for Korean and Chinese nationals. Business and work visa renewal procedures for foreign nationals coming from countries strongly affected by the epidemic are subject to additional travel declaration requirements which the host company must sign. Travelers from areas impacted by COVID-19 may be requested to complete a medical declaration questionnaire after arriving in Vietnam, which a Health Quarantine officer will review.

Analysis & Comments: The new measures for travelers from Iran, Italy, South Korea and COVID-19-impacted areas represent Vietnam’s latest efforts to halt the spread of COVID-19. Those planning travel to Vietnam from the target countries and areas may wish to reconsider their plans. The response to the COVID-19 outbreak continues to develop, and Deloitte will provide additional updates as information becomes available.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Yes it affects you as you will no longer qualify for the visa-exempt entry.

You can still apply for a visa at the Embassy in Bangkok, Consulate in Kohn Kaen or an eVisa at the website that Ubonjoe referenced in his post.

The visa-exempt ban on British and 7 other European nationalities is in addition to the following.

https://www.balglobal.com/bal-news/vietnam-multiple-new-covid-19-travel-measures-implemented/

Multiple new COVID-19 travel measures implemented

5 Mar 20

VIET NAM

IMPACT – HIGH

What is the change? The Vietnamese government has implemented multiple new travel measures to halt the spread of COVID-19.

What does the change mean? Travelers arriving from Italy or Iran who left those countries less than 14 days ago will be denied entry or will be placed in a government quarantine area. The Immigration Departments in Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City have temporarily stopped issuing visas of all categories to Korean, Italian and Iranian nationals. Visa exemptions for citizens of South Korea and Italy have also been temporarily suspended until further notice.

• Implementation time frame: Ongoing from March 2.
  • Visas/permits affected: Any visa used for inbound travel from the target countries and locations. Initial/new work permit and re-issues for Korean and Chinese nationals will also be impacted.
  • Who is affected: All travelers from Iran, Italy, South Korea and COVID-19-impacted areas. Korean and Chinese nationals working in Vietnam or wishing to do so may be affected as well.
  • Business impact: The new travel measures will affect all forms of travel from the targeted countries and COVID-19 areas, including travel for business.
  • Next steps: The new travel measures are in force until further notice. Employers should expect that any employees who are in the target countries or areas will be denied entry, placed in a government quarantine or be required to complete a medical declaration questionnaire upon arrival.

Additional information: The Ho Chi Minh City Labor Department has temporarily stopped accepting applications for initial/new work permits and renewals for Korean and Chinese nationals. Business and work visa renewal procedures for foreign nationals coming from countries strongly affected by the epidemic are subject to additional travel declaration requirements which the host company must sign. Travelers from areas impacted by COVID-19 may be requested to complete a medical declaration questionnaire after arriving in Vietnam, which a Health Quarantine officer will review.

Analysis & Comments: The new measures for travelers from Iran, Italy, South Korea and COVID-19-impacted areas represent Vietnam’s latest efforts to halt the spread of COVID-19. Those planning travel to Vietnam from the target countries and areas may wish to reconsider their plans. The response to the COVID-19 outbreak continues to develop, and Deloitte will provide additional updates as information becomes available.

Is this correct

I will be flying from Thailand, where I have been resident to Years now.

Ian NOT flying into Vietnam from a European Country

38 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

Is this correct

I know it's crazy... but I think they base it on your country of citizenship. I haven't been to Europe in 10 years, but if I held a passport from one of the affected countries, either I'd have to get a visa or not travel to Vietnam at all.

@ Cake Monster

i understand it, as if you have been coming from Europe 14 days or less, then you cannot enter. I hope, you will get in.

Can you please post here, if you get any new infos. I am also planning flying next month to Vietnam with my Thai Wife. Booked flights and Hotel.

I am, as you, living on long term Visa in Thailand and havent been to Europe in more then a year.

Do you try to get an Evisa now?

5 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

Is this correct

One of the guys I work with frequently on projects in Vietnam is an Englishman, a British passport holder who has lived in Singapore the past 40 years and has been doing business exclusively in Vietnam for the past 15 years or so.

He now has to apply for a visa for his trip to HCMC on business next week. The Vietnam Embassy in Singapore, who know him personally, advised him of the rule change earlier today. This after he called them to confirm what his regular Vietnam visa agent in Singapore was telling him.

You will need a visa.

Edited by NanLaew

51 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Countries with more than 500 total cases are banned.

That includes the USA and Japan.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

AFAIK this hasn't been implemented but this travel ban is a possibility as Vietnamese health authorities review the global threat.

From March 7, all travelers coming to Vietnam will be required to submit a health declaration upon arrival. Passengers can fill out this declaration at the airport or submit it online via this link 

https://www.vietnam-briefing.com/news/covid-19-vietnam-travel-updates-restrictions.html/

Can only be a matter of days before Thailand implements the same. People should be warned that its time to bail out and get back to our own countries because you're going to get marooned here

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chivas said:

Can only be a matter of days before Thailand implements the same. People should be warned that its time to bail out and get back to our own countries because you're going to get marooned here

Pretty much the advice I have been suggesting when asked since the start of this month. If you are currently in Thailand or some other country and you need to be home or somewhere else, better get yourself there as soon as possible if not sooner. If you are happy to stay in Thailand and have the visa or extension in place that allows this, then hunker down.

Beyond airlines suspending services on certain routes, I envisage an increasingly restrictive, government mandated, global travel lock-down in 2-3 weeks. Once governments realize they're all in the same boat and the emphasis reverts to containment and cure rather than the current ineffective prevention, maybe after 6 months, the travel situation will begin to ease, regionally first and them gradually over all by the end of the year.

Happy New Year!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chivas said:

Wherever you are there won't be enough ventilators in an outbreak, they will probably prioritize younger over older to use them like in Italy. Italy 2nd best healthcare in the world behind Japan

16 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

I am due to fly to HCMC on Saturday

I am a UK Citizen, holding a UK Passport, but I am living in Thailand, and have done so now for several years.

Will this affect me ? or can I still travel, as I will be flying from Thailand.

You will need to apply for a visa

Would a Visa on Arrival also work?

An vietnamese Visa Agency just offered the alternative of invitation letter and then VoA.

We are flying to Vietnam beginning of April, and Iam normally Visa excempt for 15 days (European).

What happens if applying for an EVisa and this gets denied? Can i still opt for the VoA afterwards?

Thanks for you guys input.

12 hours ago, NanLaew said:

AFAIK this hasn't been implemented but this travel ban is a possibility as Vietnamese health authorities review the global threat.

From March 7, all travelers coming to Vietnam will be required to submit a health declaration upon arrival. Passengers can fill out this declaration at the airport or submit it online via this link 

https://www.vietnam-briefing.com/news/covid-19-vietnam-travel-updates-restrictions.html/

USA total cases has now crossed the 1000 mark today.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Pretty much the advice I have been suggesting when asked since the start of this month. If you are currently in Thailand or some other country and you need to be home or somewhere else, better get yourself there as soon as possible if not sooner. If you are happy to stay in Thailand and have the visa or extension in place that allows this, then hunker down.

Beyond airlines suspending services on certain routes, I envisage an increasingly restrictive, government mandated, global travel lock-down in 2-3 weeks. Once governments realize they're all in the same boat and the emphasis reverts to containment and cure rather than the current ineffective prevention, maybe after 6 months, the travel situation will begin to ease, regionally first and them gradually over all by the end of the year.

Happy New Year!

Will governments become more accommodating or will they stick with the same inflexible visa requirements? More of a rhetorical question really, as I think it's pretty obvious what Thailand will do.

In particular, might be time to review the non-O multi entries and allow a one year stay, rather than the 90 day stays. With these, a border bounce is necessary. For now, Laos and Myanmar (and Cambodia) are OK, but what if Thailand decides (or for that matter these countries) to shut their borders? I'm in a bit of a pickle here...as are probably many mixed families - although my children have a second passport, wifey only has one (Thai). It's looking increasingly likely that families could be split up for  a while UNLESS we expats decide to stay put through this crisis. This could mean, for some of us, unless immigration changes their rules, coming up with 400,000 Baht and doing a TM30 to get an extension of stay rather than using a non-O multi entry. Women have it easier...they don't have the same financial requirements, but 90% of foreign-Thai couples consist of a foreign male and Thai female.

We may not have a choice if the entire world gets locked down and all borders closed, which is kinda looking increasingly likely. Even if it doesn't go that far, just look at the number of countries banning Thais from entering (Israel, Qatar, Bahrain) and this also includes anyone who's been in Thailand recently. Israel has now banned many Europeans too.