Police Conducting Temperature Check Roadblocks

GeorgeCross

At the main downtown roadblock opposite Market Village, where they normally check licenses and helmets, yesterday about 150 police were pulling out thermometers and testing every car and bike rider on both sides of the road.

Anyone else see this or know what was going on? maybe just a photo op?

Edited by GeorgeCross
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, GeorgeCross said:

Anyone else see this or know what was going on? maybe just a photo op?

That is a little strange, I've been stopped when driving past the main police station and they asked if I'd been drinking, which I hadn't. This was a few days before New Years eve, there was a new traffic 'chief' or whatever they call the guy in charge directing things.

I suspected it was a training exercise for the New Years eve party night.

I reckon they're practicing / training here.

Do they have the "power" to competentlycarry out this, and what variations of measured temperature are the taking into account, airconditioned car differrent to one not using a/c, to a person on a bike, personal variations oin body temp without infections, Elevated temps due to other non Covid19 related infections?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Do they have the "power" to competentlycarry out this, and what variations of measured temperature are the taking into account, airconditioned car differrent to one not using a/c, to a person on a bike, personal variations oin body temp without infections, Elevated temps due to other non Covid19 related infections?

i think they have the power under the new health declaration of Covid19 as an infectious disease

• Like 1

This is also being done on a few roadways in Germany according to a world news report I saw yesterday.
The explanation was that fewer of their staff would be immediately exposed.
Slightly different than what the OP described where "150 police" were said to be present.......

Edited by Seth1a2a

8 hours ago, cmsally said:

So what do they do if you have above average temperature - fine you 1000 Bt ?  (Sorry couldn't resist that one !)

now at the airport in BKK your are placed in detention and sent to the hospital.

no one with a fever is allowed on a aircraft. same for transit. inbound or outbound.

Edited by NCC1701A
  • Like 1

this is what i have been saying for about two weeks now.

i have a fever and i cant leave the house because if I were to get caught up in a checkpoint i would be placed in quarantine. 

also i can't fly out of Thailand now until i get better. 

this is just the beginning. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

now at the airport in BKK your are placed in detention and sent to the hospital.

no one with a fever is allowed on a aircraft.

Yes, and this part of the inconvenience factor. You may just have a cold, or some other sniffles, but you will definitely miss your flight!

• Like 1

I recently flew to Australia for 2 weeks, and then back to Thailand. My main fear was catching a common cold and being detained at the airport on leaving Thailand, or on returning to Thailand 2 weeks later.

I have 'self quarantined' on my return to Thailand (my main fear was catching the virus while at Suvarnabhumi), even though I had come from a supposed 'safe' country (Australia), but I suspect there are no safe countries anymore.

• Like 1

I wouldn't want to be sent to Coventry on the basis of some two bit Chinese claptrap.

Also what if you have been exercising ?

Will wearing a helmet for a period of time in 35+ effect the readings when they 'scan' your forehead.

Scary times; simpletons + cheap bargain basement equipment = catastrophe

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Stevemercer said:

Yes, and this part of the inconvenience factor. You may just have a cold, or some other sniffles, but you will definitely miss your flight!

on the other hand, it may be the virus and your inconvenience could save someone else from contacting and possibly dying.. imo your 'inconvenience' is unimportant..

8 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

Don't worry this pair take you away if your temp is too high!

88429764_1495340333981828_7361676187040481280_n.jpg

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

on the other hand, it may be the virus and your inconvenience could save someone else from contacting and possibly dying.. imo your 'inconvenience' is unimportant..

So, you for one, will 'self quarantine' for the as long as it takes for the virus to go away? You will avoid all personal contact (because anyone could have transited through Suvarabhumi) and be a carrier?

If you wake up with any cold symptoms, or even feeling unwell, you will 'self quarantine' for at least 14 days and pay $5,000 Baht to be tested for the virus (noting that you need to be sick for at least 3 or 4 days for the virus loads to build and avoid a false negative)?

So, has your normal life changed completely now, forever, because of the virus threat?

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

i have a fever and i cant leave the house because if I were to get caught up in a checkpoint i would be placed in quarantine. 

You said a few minutes ago you were in Cambodia, so where the hell are you??

Just now, Stevemercer said:

So, you for one, will 'self quarantine' for the as long as it takes for the virus to go away? You will avoid all personal contact (because anyone could have transited through Suvarabhumi) and be a carrier?

If you wake up with any cold symptoms, or even feeling unwell, you will 'self quarantine' for at least 14 days and pay $5,000 Baht to be tested for the virus (noting that you need to be sick for at least 3 or 4 days for the virus loads to build and avoid a false negative)?

So, has your normal life changed completely now, forever, because of the virus threat?

I've already basically 'self quarantined' and though not ill I avoid all crowds and even groups on the sidewalks. Yes, I would pay whatever to be tested to protect others if necessary. My normal life has altered and will continue to be till this threat has ended. Might as well get used to it for it's not going away for a very long time.

55 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

I trust you will get better soon, keep hitting the paracetamol and stay away from the grog. They don't go well together.

Consider yourself more fortunate than some - at least you have a bevy of lovelies to run errands for you.

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Stevemercer said:

I recently flew to Australia for 2 weeks, and then back to Thailand. My main fear was catching a common cold and being detained at the airport on leaving Thailand, or on returning to Thailand 2 weeks later.

I have 'self quarantined' on my return to Thailand (my main fear was catching the virus while at Suvarnabhumi), even though I had come from a supposed 'safe' country (Australia), but I suspect there are no safe countries anymore.

According to the Thai authorities, Thailand is much safer than Australia. Infections per head of population much lower.

1 hour ago, Stevemercer said:

Yep, for sure. Granted, why would anyone travel even under normal circumstances, if they have a cold or are feeling under the weather? I'm not paranoid about catching something, but if how can you put yourself through something like that?

Whenever I feel unwell, no matter how slight, i cancel or postpone all my engagements, work, whatever and stay in bed. The last place I'd want to be when I'm feeling feverish is on a plane. You'd have to be insane to travel when you're sick.

I only go back to my usual life once I'm feeling normal again. Having said that, that happens so rarely but under the present circumstances I would take it even more seriously and wait an extra day or two before going out, just to be safe.

13 hours ago, cmsally said:

So what do they do if you have above average temperature - fine you 1000 Bt ? (Sorry couldn't resist that one !)

ROFL - Did the police wear red noses and use cute doggy temperature sensors? I'm sure nobody will argue that it's mostly token behaviour at best, for us more of the clowning around we're used to...

Remember the one where they stopped a bus and checked the exhaust cloud?

I'd definitely like to see temperature checks at all major public areas - shopping centres, Makro etc, not so much for people isolated in their vehicles. It's just taking the <deleted> really - waste of resources.

Edited by ben2talk

3 hours ago, mlmcleod said:

I suspect that a temperature will require a roadside test for Covid-19 for a cash fee!

Lolz - but it's a scary prospect. A huge problem in the US, with their insurance issues, if you visit the hospital for a test, you pay a heck of a lot because they have to do many other tests to eliminate flu etc before they even do a Covid test. In the US, a quick visit to the ER starts at about $700 per head.