Thai Cabinet nod for measure to hold meetings and seminars to support ailing tourism industry

webfact

Cabinet nod for measure to hold meetings and seminars to support ailing tourism industry

By The Nation

800_ea1f2421f653be5.jpg?v=1583912968

The Cabinet on Tuesday (March 10) approved the proposal by the Ministry of Tourism and Sport to request all state agencies to hold meetings and seminars in the country for three months to support the tourism industry.

This measure requires all state agencies to accelerate budget expenditure to hold meetings and seminars in the country for three months (April to June 2020) and submit meeting and seminar schedules to the Ministry of Tourism and Sports to help private sector units affected by the Covid-19 outbreak.

The ministry expected that if all state agencies held meetings and seminars in the country for three months, it would help tourism operators delay laying off staff.

“Also, this measure will have a positive impact on tourism among Thai people and foreigners and help drive the country’s economy,” the officials added.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30383847

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-03-11
  • Confused 2

15 hours ago, webfact said:

“Also, this measure will have a positive impact on tourism among Thai people and foreigners and help drive the country’s economy,” the officials added.

With Europe and the world about to explode with cases of the virus, I wish they would clarify how that can be done with no tourists ? 

• Thanks 1

It's Committee time.

Stick a fork in tourism for now.

Focus on dealing with the health crises: virus, water, pollution.

17 hours ago, webfact said:

This measure requires all state agencies to accelerate budget expenditure to hold meetings and seminars in the country for three months (April to June 2020)

Brilliant. Let's bring large groups of people together.

Quote:-

"to support ailing tourism industry"

Ailing? From what I experienced at Don Meaung Airport this morning around 7:30am, I would say it is virtually DEAD! In all the years I have regularly flown from DMK, this morning was unbelievable - hardly a passenger in sight. The international departure boards were dominated by red CANCELLED notices. No queuing for Air Asia check-in, I walked straight up to a counter. I was then directed straight to a passport check counter, which incidentally was headed "Chinese passports only". All the "foreign passport" counters were closed. On entering the security scanning section, just one scanner in use. Many members of staff all standing around with nothing to do. Many other members of staff from the duty free and food outlets all stood outside their businesses touting for customers from just a few of us. Went downstairs to Gate 1 for my flight to Siem Reap and was gobsmacked. This departure area is normally always noisy and crowded with Chinese, but today, utter peace and plenty of seats to relax. Most of the passengers in the departure lounge were bound for Siem Reap. 

so let me get this straight......

the who has declared a worldwide pandemic, over a hundred thousand have contracted a deadly virus, thousands are dead, several countries are in total lockdown.......

......and you want to hold meetings? 

you plan to have attendees travel on crowded public transportation, pack into meeting rooms closely together, eat from buffet trays.........

hub of insanity!

So what you are saying, is that previously, all these State Agencies would hold their meetings outside of Thailand. That sounds unnecessary and expensive.

...and just how many meetings are we taking about "that if all state agencies held meetings and seminars in the country for three months, it would help tourism operators delay laying off staff."