Trump suspends all travel from Europe to the United States to fight coronavirus

webfact

11 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

You got a source for that figure? Because my nephew just got tested for $150 cash.

He’s one of the lucky few if what you are saying is true to date 11,000 people in the United States have been tested this is straight from the congress briefing s Korea tests 10,000 a day the Dow in down 1800 points right now it’s hitting the fan so to speak help one another stay safe good luck good health stay calm

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Just a few words from an utter buffoon only equalled by the U.K. head honcho and the markets in meltdown AGAIN !!

Does combover have no advisors at all ? Is it not feasible to test everyone for the virus prior to boarding as part of the check in process ? rather than swinging statements that destroy every pension fund out there ? 

It is just incredulous that Trump and Johnson can be where they are! 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

The virus is savagely ripping through the markets with fresh ferocity the FTSE is down over 9% today - we are looking at the biggest stock market crash in history. 15 years of growth wiped out in a week.

https://www.investing.com/news/stock-market-news/breaking-european-stocks-dive-10-after-wall-street-trading-halt-2108402

"The government knows nothing" Jim Cramer

Edited by URMySunshine

3 minutes ago, URMySunshine said:

The virus is savagely ripping through the markets with fresh ferocity the FTSE is down over 9% today - we are looking at the biggest stock market crash in history. 15 years of growth wiped out.

https://www.investing.com/news/stock-market-news/breaking-european-stocks-dive-10-after-wall-street-trading-halt-2108402

Thinking of buying anyone? What if this is 1929 all over again?

13 hours ago, dcsw53 said:

This from the lips of the man who told us less than a week ago there was nothing to worry about.
Mind you he also said that about the Stock Market. 
Vote for someone you can trust !!  

Give us a name , regarding someone we can trust ..

Edited by elliss
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Yes, I saw the Trump announcement now. It still doesn't make sense though because the UK also has Covid19 cases, substantially more than most countries in the Schengen area. Why would they protect themselves from the Schengen area but not the UK?

And are you telling me that a major country like the UK, with a vibrant Chinatown, close links to Hong Kong, a global travel hub like London, supposedly has less than 25% of cases than Spain? Really? This has nothing to do with the French, Germans, Italians and Spanish having a better health service and identifying the cases more thoroughly? I don't believe for a second the UK only has 459 cases. It's a lot more. And with less cases still more deaths than Germany.

At first I thought it was just a political decision, weaken European airlines, drive them out of business and strengthen Boeign vs Airbus.

But actually looking at it Trump does have a point. Germany has reacted very poorly. Even big German newspapers were asking 'why are flights from China still arriving here'? Big German airlines like Lufthansa suspended flights out of themselves, though the government didn't mandate it, but Chinese airlines still landed in Germany daily until very recently.

So actually I have to say Trump got it right on this one. He put the ban in place before the EU. Could still be the fewer cases in the US are again down to the health service not testing as well as the European countries. 

But Trump did have a point here.

I did notice the lower death ratio in Germany. But this could be simply down to luck of the draw. As we know the over 65s have a greater risk of dying from the virus, and perhaps more over 65s in the UK contracted the virus than in Germany. Or maybe German over 65s have been more cautious. 

As for not believing the 459 UK total, I'd guarantee there are more cases of infection in every country than is being reported. The UK has good processes in place for identifying and testing for new cases, despite the strain on the NHS. 

• Like 1

Does this mean we can fly to London and then another flight to the US? So if we are infected with Corona we can infect even more people in the UK.....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CG1 Blue said:

I did notice the lower death ratio in Germany. But this could be simply down to luck of the draw. As we know the over 65s have a greater risk of dying from the virus, and perhaps more over 65s in the UK contracted the virus than in Germany. Or maybe German over 65s have been more cautious. 

As for not believing the 459 UK total, I'd guarantee there are more cases of infection in every country than is being reported. The UK has good processes in place for identifying and testing for new cases, despite the strain on the NHS. 

Germans are scrupulously clean and follow orders - and that's a good place to start to lick (don't do that!) this damned pestilence. As companies crater the debt will rip into banks next. Financial contagion will follow the viral contagion but sadly last much longer. We are in uncharted territory to put it mildly. 

1 minute ago, balo said:

Does this mean we can fly to London and then another flight to the US? So if we are infected with Corona we can infect even more people in the UK.....

Community transmission is about to let rip so shutting down a few entry points will make little difference and especially so since so few are now flying voluntarily. Trump's shutdown was for the short term optics. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

Or the lower death cases could be because the UK actually has more cases.

I totally agree with you that every country's figures for cases will be inaccurate. Some more than others. 

Looking at Cobra's statements the UK, like Germany, is taking a very lax, laissez faire approach to the virus. No closing of schools here and such. I hope you're right.

4 minutes ago, balo said:

No, if you were in the Schengen area 14 days prior to entering  the US they won't let you in.

Unless you're American. Or you own three golf courses in the UK.

• Sad 1

34 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

I don't believe for a second the UK only has 459 cases. It's a lot more. 

Agreed.

Yesterday I heard in the UK we have the ability to only carry out 1,500 tests a day, seems to me they have been rationing tests, so a lot of people not tested, including some who may have died.

Predicted worst case scenario 20% of workers off sick, given the UK population is 65M plus, that's 13m sick, so say over a fortnight  we would need to test nearly 1 million a day.

Latest official figures:

Two more people have died after testing positive for coronavirus, bringing the total number of UK deaths to 10.

There are now 596 confirmed cases in the UK, up from 456 on Wednesday - with 491 in England, 60 in Scotland, 20 in Northern Ireland and 25 in Wales.

It comes as the government is expected to announce within hours that it is stepping up its coronavirus response.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51845861

And the Australian F1 GP has been cancelled.

Edited by Basil B

17 minutes ago, Sujo said:

No problem. Fly to another country for 2 weeks holiday then to US.

Its a stupid moronic ban that will do nothing. Except fo trump supporter optics.

Well, trying to explain the finer points to a US immigration official, who are notoriously thick as balls and more bolshy than Trotsky could prove difficult.

If they feel like denying you entry because you have an EU passports they will probably do so.

Why travel to the US anyway?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

It doesnt make me feel better, it makes me feel both sadness and pity towards folks that are so consumed with hatred to their fellow citizens that they will regularly insult them like calling them...say....members of a personality cult. Simply because they dont share your righteous worldview.

So sad. So pathetic. 

Or calling them say ... haters. Have a look in the mirror sometime.

• Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Well, trying to explain the finer points to a US immigration official, who are notoriously thick as balls and more bolshy than Trotsky could prove difficult.

If they feel like denying you entry because you have an EU passports they will probably do so.

Why travel to the US anyway?

Thats true. But i have an oz passport. Actually i have 3, but my british one has expired.

But correct. Went to US with sports team last year for 6 weeks, was not a trip i want to do again, much happier to do asia and europe trips. For me the US is so over rated.

• Haha 1

"If the Dems (Crooked Hillary) got elected, your stocks would be down 50% from values on Election Day. Now they have a great future - and just beginning! "

Today DJI 21,836.10

Donald Trump’s decision to ban EU flights from America was “the most expensive speech in history”, says Luca Paolini, chief strategist at Pictet Asset Management.“Investors are voting with their feet, and I can’t blame them. Markets wanted reassuring, and this was not reassuring.”

And with European markets down 10% today, and Wall Street down over 8%, it’s hard to argue.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/live/2020/mar/12/stock-markets-tumble-trump-europe-travel-ban-ecb-christine-lagarde-business-live

"Dow goes from 18,589 on November 9, 2016, to 25,075 today, for a new all-time Record. Jumped 1000 points in last 5 weeks, Record fastest 1000 point move in history. This is all about the Make America Great Again agenda! Jobs, Jobs, Jobs. Six trillion dollars in value created!"

A few days earlier... DJI 27,960

President Trump said in a Monday afternoon tweet that the "stock market is starting to look very good to me" on a day the Dow plunged over 1,000 points, largely over fears of the spreading coronavirus.
"The Coronavirus is very much under control in the USA," Trump said on Twitter. "We are in contact with everyone and all relevant countries. CDC & World Health have been working hard and very smart. Stock Market starting to look very good to me!"

https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/trump-stock-market-starting-look-very-good-plunging-1000-points-2020-2-1028933348

Translated as Trump is just making stuff up that feeds his nationalist agenda and may help his re-election. Not looking at the science and using smart thinkings like the Uk is doing. Boris is to be commended for deferring to science and mathematical modelling and not going for the knee-jerk shut everything down mode. That said anybody in power when the virus hits is on a losing wicket however smart or dumb they may be in handling this. 

"Stock market hits new high with longest winning streak in decades. Great level of confidence and optimism - even before tax plan rollout!"

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/06/trump-has-tweeted-about-stock-market-63-times-since-2016-election.html

TIME'S UP FOR TRUMP

Edited by URMySunshine
All my own work
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Logosone said:

Or the lower death cases could be because the UK actually has more cases.

I totally agree with you that every country's figures for cases will be inaccurate. Some more than others. 

Looking at Cobra's statements the UK, like Germany, is taking a very lax, laissez faire approach to the virus. No closing of schools here and such. I hope you're right.

On top of it, numbers at one point of time don't mean much, because further increase is expected.

Uk is likely only one week behind France on the epidemic diffusion curve and France may well be only one week or so behind Italy.