Trump suspends all travel from Europe to the United States to fight coronavirus

webfact

2 hours ago, Logosone said:

Or the lower death cases could be because the UK actually has more cases.

I totally agree with you that every country's figures for cases will be inaccurate. Some more than others. 

Looking at Cobra's statements the UK, like Germany, is taking a very lax, laissez faire approach to the virus. No closing of schools here and such. I hope you're right.

On top of it, numbers at one point of time don't mean much, because further increase is expected.

Uk is likely only one week behind France on the epidemic diffusion curve and France may well be only one week or so behind Italy.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, webfact said:

The president, who faces re-election in November, took the dramatic step in a somber Oval Office speech as he battles to address the health and economic shocks to Americans and responds to mounting criticism that he has underplayed the threat from the mushrooming coronavirus crisis.

Judging by the response of these bankers ! Many praised and thanked the POTUS for his efforts. Judging the do nothing but moan dems and their propaganda machine ,what are you doing to help! Their continued efforts to sabotage the efforts by the administration and top business professional ,gov health departments and scientist with negativity ,is  sad! 

At least 12k have died from the flu this  season compared to the corona virus  in the usa under 50 as of two days ago.

https://youtu.be/Xzd2twA97wQ

https://www.health.com/condition/cold-flu-sinus/how-many-people-die-of-the-flu-every-year

Edited by riclag
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, sirineou said:

They loved it so much that the market as of five minutes ago is down 7% , 

You said they loved it, I didn't! They praised him for his administrations efforts ! 

You like most haters of the POTUS obviously want to accent the   negative, watch the video! 

Edited by riclag
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, riclag said:

Judging by the response of these bankers ! Many praised and thanked the POTUS for his efforts. Judging the do nothing but moan dems and their propaganda machine ,what are you doing to help! Their continued efforts to sabotage the efforts by the administration and top business professional ,gov health departments and scientist with negativity ,is  sad! 

At least 12k have died from the flu this  season compared to the corona virus  in the usa under 50 as of two days ago.

https://www.health.com/condition/cold-flu-sinus/how-many-people-die-of-the-flu-every-year

Trump repeatedly contradicted  "the administration and top business professional ,gov health departments and scientist" you mention. It's Trump who systematically sabotaged their efforts.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

2 minutes ago, candide said:

Trump repeatedly contradicted  "the administration and top business professional ,gov health departments and scientist" you mention. It's Trump who systematically sabotaged their efforts.

your funny but predictable trump hater

Edited by riclag
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, candide said:

Pure deflection. You have no argument.

Whats to deflect you came into the comment that contradicted the article "underplayed the threat from the mushrooming coronavirus crisis". 

"Judging by the response of these bankers ! Many praised and thanked the POTUS for his efforts. Judging the do nothing but moan dems and their propaganda machine ,what are you doing to help! Their continued efforts to sabotage the efforts by the administration and top business professional ,gov health departments and scientist with negativity ,is  sad"! 

Don't bother to reply to me ,your a dug in Trump hater! 

Edited by riclag
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, riclag said:

Whats to deflect you came into the comment that contradicted the article "underplayed the threat from the mushrooming coronavirus crisis". 

"Judging by the response of these bankers ! Many praised and thanked the POTUS for his efforts. Judging the do nothing but moan dems and their propaganda machine ,what are you doing to help! Their continued efforts to sabotage the efforts by the administration and top business professional ,gov health departments and scientist with negativity ,is  sad"! 

Don't bother to reply ,your dug in

Deflection again. ????

Didn't Trump repeatedly contradict experts including his own administration? 

• Sad 1

What a muddled response does anyone in the administration check this stuff out or are they so cowed by this guy that they just pump it out no questions asked?his lies about the availability of testing and him saying trade from Europe banned that is not the case and this is supposed to be reassuring?doesent anyone check what he’s going to say?and trump supporters that’s not an attack that is a reasonable question 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

And the B.S. talk goes on.....

"Trump made 3 false claims in his Oval Office coronavirus speech"

"The White House had to walk back three policy announcements from President Trump's Oval Office announcement Wednesday that are causing more confusion than comfort during the coronavirus outbreak."

https://www.axios.com/trump-coronavirus-oval-office-speech-e0f6685f-ffd4-4e28-9794-0e16ee71321b.html

Edited by candide
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Just a question, do you think most people would rather have a job, and perhaps have to isolate Grandma in the spare room, or no job and Grandma can continue to skateboard with the local kids?

The economic impact of unscientific, populist measures by politicians in several countries will be huge, and the false sense of security created will add to the spread.

Wash your hands and practice social distancing, especially from any Pee Noi, and lock up Grandma's skateboard.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, riclag said:

You said they loved it, I didn't! They praised him for his administrations efforts ! 

You like most haters of the POTUS obviously want to accent the   negative, watch the video! 

Thank God for his administrative efforts that installed such confidence and the stock market only dropped another 10% today, otherwise  who knows it could had dropped 99%.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, digibum said:

I don't know how old you are or what kind of healthcare you had access to, but being a GenX'er, I saw healthcare decline drastically in my lifetime. 

Back when I was young, I was on my father's healthcare plan.  I never remember any worries about seeing a doctor or costs or anything.  Everything was always taken care of.  Of course, he was a Boomer and worked for the same company his whole life.  They're one of the largest companies in the world with great pension plans, unions, and benefits. 

Even for a few years when I got a job and was working, healthcare seemed so simple.  $10 or $25 co-pay, everything covered. 

But in the last 10 or 15 years, it's just been a disaster.  Go in for an endoscopy, a covered procedure, and end up getting $3,000+ in bills from the doctor that insurance wouldn't cover. 

I went in to a lab to get some blood work done that my doctor ordered and the woman pulling the blood asked me if I had insurance.  I said I did and she said, "Oh good.  If you didn't, this would cost you about $2,000." 

Even dental has turned into a money grubbing, used car salesman-like profession.  Every year in November, my dentist's office would call me to tell me how much of my insurance I hadn't spent this year and wanted to schedule an appointment so they could figure out a way to max out my insurance claims. 

Every visit they were selling some new BS that wasn't covered by insurance.  Once it was invisilign, then it was some sort of coating to put on your teeth, then it was veneers, etc, etc. 

It was disgusting because the dentist's office was completely open with just small walls separating each patient so you could hear the dentist going from room to room pitching the same BS stuff and using the same lines, "Well, if you don't get the invisilign, you get dental decay from food caught in your crooked teeth and that could lead to heart disease."  <deleted>?!?! 

I'm sorry but if I can move to Thailand and get my blood work done for $100 and it costs $2,000 in the US, there's something seriously wrong with the healthcare system. 

It's not mooches looking for a handout, man.  It's the system.  It's gotten horrific to deal with. 

The saddest stories aren't even from the people without insurance.  It's the people who get whacked with bills even though they have insurance. 

Like a story I was reading recently (sorry, I forget the source) where someone was ill and had to be taken to the hospital.  So instead of taking an ambulance and ending up at an out of network hospital they took themselves to an in-network hospital to save money.  But one of the treating doctors was not in-network so they got slammed with a bunch of bills to cover the doctor's costs. 

All of these price gouging tactics definitely are rooted in the insurance industry lobby. 

I have no doubt that the system needs to have prices for everything published instead of charging based on who the insurance company is. You can thank the lobbyists and the congress they bought for that. This is why they get away with the various rates for services.

Why Congress does not want to pass legislation to address the problem goes back to the insurance industry lobby. 

There is no doubt that being able to buy or sell insurance in any state is also needed, again lobbyists and the insurance companies bought the congress to get away with it. 

But the premise of being able to have a government provided health care system for 365 million people and the massive bureaucracy, cost and taxes behind it is not a viable solution. 

The solutions are obvious and the people who could pass legislation to fix most of it have failed for decades. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

I think you need to read all of my posts then. Pointing out someone is a hater does not make you yourself a hater, especially when its done with sorrow and pity.

Actually, it does.  You began labeling people haters before they even had a chance to respond.  Preemptively name-calling, it called "hating"

It doesnt matter what he does. It will be critisized. Good move on his part anyway and a great speech.

Now I will make another cup of coffee and watch the haters fill their echo chamber.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Iron Tongue said:

Do the math, continental Europe has 20x the total number of infected than the USA.

Spain, Germany and France all have 2-3x the infected as the US.  Italy -fugettaboutit!

We have no idea how many people are infected in the U.S., it's not easy to get tested.

• Like 1

UK chief medical advisor said in a public press conference "We have more likely 5000 or 10000 cases, we have only identified 500. Figures will be in the same magnitude in other countries".

That's honest for you.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8105763/Boris-Johnson-steps-coronavirus-response-Cobra-crisis-meeting.html

So the US has more likely 15,000 cases but has not identified them. Spain more likely 20,000.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chiphigh said:

All of these price gouging tactics definitely are rooted in the insurance industry lobby. 

I have no doubt that the system needs to have prices for everything published instead of charging based on who the insurance company is. You can thank the lobbyists and the congress they bought for that. This is why they get away with the various rates for services.

Why Congress does not want to pass legislation to address the problem goes back to the insurance industry lobby. 

There is no doubt that being able to buy or sell insurance in any state is also needed, again lobbyists and the insurance companies bought the congress to get away with it. 

But the premise of being able to have a government provided health care system for 365 million people and the massive bureaucracy, cost and taxes behind it is not a viable solution. 

The solutions are obvious and the people who could pass legislation to fix most of it have failed for decades.

Can you please quote where I said that I wanted a government provided health care system? 

I didn't. 

The problem is that because people are critical of one thing, it's assumed that they support the opposite. 

Alas that is the great tragedy of a two-party system.  You are either pro guns or anti guns.  You are either pro abortion or anti abortion.  Having any sort of nuanced opinion isn't allowed. 

I've seen and lived in countries with (i.e. Europe) and without (US - where I'm a citizen) a socialized medical program is available and there are pros and cons for each type of system. 

Unfortunately, the mega-healthcare groups and the insurance industry has gone rogue on the US and if this pandemic explodes, we're going to see additional flaws in the current system. 

I don't care what kind of system is eventually adopted, but either the treatment has to be free (to the consumer) or the pricing needs to be as clear as it is on a pack of gum. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Nice try. You need to go back and read the posts over the past 3 years. The haters know who they are, some are proud of it.

No, I don't have to go back and read the posts over the last 3 years. 

It's a flawed argument.  Someone did something in the past so in this new conversation I'm going to start calling them names before they get a chance to say something? 

Attack the ideas, not the people.  You're attacking the people before they even said anything which automatically makes you a hater by definition of the word. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, samran said:

What’s the bet he shorted any European airline he could for good measure.

I was thinking something similar. It would be a perfect time to kill off European airlines, the annoying people who've been buying Airbus instead of Boeing.

After all, the US doesn't need foreign airlines as much, it has a big domestic market. Airbus is the one dependent on foreign airlines.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1