A special day! Former US citizen and now Thai funnyman goes with parents to get his Thai ID card

rooster59

4 minutes ago, Farang Muang Phrae said:

I was NOT the one that waited, just so you know.  I will glady serve my country to make up for an oportunity that I was never given when I was young.

Interesting response ! Maybe it is  brave to abandon official identity of one nationality in favor of that which you choose to identify with now but it is unlikely that general Thai society  will  see you as any other than a  farang. I have extended family that despite being born and bred in Thailand  with mixed ethnic parents and who present as  blonde caucasion are viewed by the wider  community as curious foreign.

It’s quite natural to want to feel patriotic towards a place or country. As he doesn’t have any emotional connection to the U.S. , seems normal for him to adopt Thailand as his own. 

Personally I would never bow down to this country’s establishment, no matter how long I live here. And I would always encourage my children  to question what exactly Thai society tells them and to whom and what they should be loyal to. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lemonjelly said:

Why didn’t he keep dual citizenship? Is there a logical reason or is he just a bit dim?

I think the latter is nearest to the truth.

....he even paid good money for the privilege of being dim!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Farang Muang Phrae said:

I was NOT the one that waited, just so you know.  I will glady serve my country to make up for an oportunity that I was never given when I was young.

What are the pros and cons of you giving up your dual citizenship? It’s just that I feel that your judgement has been clouded by patriotism to Thailand.

• Like 1

"They **** you up, your mum and dad.   

They may not mean to, but they do.   

They fill you with the faults they had

And add some extra, just for you."

"This Be The Verse", Philip Larkin.

8 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

Why didn’t he keep dual citizenship? Is there a logical reason or is he just a bit dim?

My wife and son have dual Thai/Australian citizenship and aren't required to give one up.  Maybe it's just a requirement for farangs.

24 minutes ago, Thechook said:

My wife and son have dual Thai/Australian citizenship and aren't required to give one up.  Maybe it's just a requirement for farangs.

He didn't have to, he just has been saying for a long time that he wanted to be Thai and if they gave it to him, he would renounce his US citizenship.

Paid a fair bit to do it too, what a bonehead!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, samsensam said:

good luck to him.

thankfully i come from a country that doesn't  require its citizens to have an ID card.

Good for him! US doesn't require carrying an ID card either. Without one you cannot

• Vote
  • Get service from your own bank in person
  • Enter  a courthouse or Government buildings
  • Drive a Car
  • Mail anything but a small envelope
  • Purchase something with a credit card at many stores
  • Get on an Airplane
  • Guarantee you won't be detained by Police or Border Control for looking black or hispanic, or even for entering your own home. Many US citizens have been deported to Mexico. Or arrested when they forgot keys and tried the window
  • Access Medical Care or visit a sick relative in a Hospital
  • Sign most any kind of contract
  • Check into a Hotel

So what is the purpose of indulging a myth of freedom from ID cards when everyone is monitored by much more sophisticated means? Perhaps surviving in a cabin in the woods Unabomber style.