Thailand reports 32 new coronavirus cases, brings total to 114

webfact

33 minutes ago, morrobay said:

Again no documented cases of surfaces to persons transmissions . Sure it is ;possible and there are probably some, But I sure dont remember anyone worried about catching a cold from a railing. In your bus example the transmissions went from front to back most likely with the air flow. And this your conflating with transmissions from surfaces.https://www.sciencealert.com/study-shows-just-how-long-coronaviruses-can-stick-around-on-a-surface

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/coronavirus-can-stay-infectious-for-days-on-surfaces/2020/03/12/9b54a99e-6472-11ea-845d-e35b0234b136_story.html 

And these links also say surface infections are questionable : compare the exposure from an infected persons cough spray to the chain of indirect  exposures. While most contacts with surfaces from an infected person would be hand to surface, then from surface to hand of uninfected then to face. I say possible but a longshot. And again if that was a vector  you would expect orders of magnitude more infections in Bangkok and Pattaya

So basically you are saying ignore the medical source (John Hopkins) and rely on a journalists understanding... and go with your gut... 

Certainly going through a lot of effort and manual labour to disinfect surfaces in China for something that is a long shot.  Spraying disinfectant on surfaces multiple times a day, having people rub down handles and on escalators and places where people regularly contact with disinfectant.  Spraying disinfectant from drones.  Installing disinfecting tunnels for people to walk through etc.  Blasting the interior of buses with UV Radiation regularly to disinfect surfaces on buses.   Just seems like a lot of effort for something that is not likely to happen...

Edited by bkkcanuck8
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

How come the virus hates the heat apparently and dies over 37 degrees, but just loves that temperature if it gets inside you?

I haven't seen anything saying the virus "dies [at temperatures] over 37 degrees."

According to info from researchers, available on the WHO website it takes a sustained period (at least 15 mins) of exposure to temperatures of 56°C or more to inactivate a coronavirus.

https://www.who.int/csr/sars/survival_2003_05_04/en/

There have been studies suggesting that this (and other) coronaviruses remain viable for shorter periods of time on hard, dry surfaces in the open air at higher temperatures.

You can't compare how something acts on a hard, dry surface in the open air, to how it will act when enclosed inside the human body.

18 hours ago, MikeN said:

How many people from Issaan make overseas trips compared to people from BKK ?

But they are travelling in and out of Don Muang, Suvarnabhumi, Phukhet, Utapao, and Chiang Mai on the many many daily domestic flights where they are mixing/mingling with international travellers.

Edited by SunsetT

39 minutes ago, fcbkk said:

There is no downplaying visible here at all so what are you on about?

The poster quoted my previous post where i corrected fear mongering where someone posted wrong info stating over 60k deaths and other stuff.

What matters now is factual information and helping each other find the sources to that.

Be informed by facts and take the right precautions and adopt the behaviour that protects us all. 

So please refrain from making negative comments on people who promote facts and being informed please. The issue facing us all is very serious, so even more important to keep a cool head and promote facts. 

Thanks. 

Thanks for that FC. I read that post and wondered how on earth I should respond. You did it better than I would have as I am known to be irascible.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Why is it that there seems  so much  conviction that the Thai authorities  are  telling lies?

They can only report the numbers of confirmed victims,  ongoing status and any  deaths.

What people seem to want to ignore  is the thousands that have  come under investigation, ongoing or cleared. That  airport arrivals feature  is obviously because they are being screened  like ducks in a row. Expectations that other than those who have the financial capacity  to pay  for a  test unless they  present at a  medical facility in dire need of intervention how would it be possible to screen and test a population at large? Testing is  a "confirmation" of positive  or negative. Useful if positive to attempt to identify others at possible  cross infection.

But the obvious reality is that it is already in the community. Instead of  harping on  about "testing" people  should adopt  best practice and advise others to do also without involving hype and pointless  paranoia.

Why is it that there seems  so much  conviction that the Thai authorities  are  telling lies?

Track record. Nothing more needs to be said.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I am expecting to see a big spike in Covid 19 cases in Canada. Yesterday I foew from Bangkok to

Taipei Taiwan, almost all Asian travellers wore masks and some foreignors did as well. In Taiwan

I boarded a full B787 flight. Most Asian travellers still wore their masks, and only some

Canadians and foreignors as well. What bothered me wae that so many younger travellers,

including parents did not have masks. There were lots of people coughing during the flight

and I saw a few who did not cover their mouths when they coughed. In Vancouver, nobody

got screened for anything, no staff wore masks, and the same situation at Calgary. I could

not get over the total difference in attitude. The Canadian government is advising for their

citizens to return to Canada.  Some smarter travellers are wearing masks and rubber gloves.

Good luck to all.

Geezer

18 hours ago, Matzzon said:

And above we can examine all the intelligent comments from TVF´s Infant Fart Brigade.

It is a sign of maturity to realise that everyone has a differing sense of humour and that no one's is superior to another. Also, sadly, some seem to have no sense of humour at all so can only sneer at others and not laugh with them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dougiemac52 said:

Notice how the foreigners are getting the blame again. Never seen so much garbage written from one country in my life. It would also seem under the new rules of entering thailand you must wear a mask, that is the masks that do not help to contain the virus, probably more chance of spreading it lustenibg to the experts

They are just generally educationally backward hence they would understand that they are of little use. 

20 hours ago, Canuck1966 said:

In other news the air in Chiang Mai is well over 400

They closed the schools in BKK when it was 170

As nice a town as Chiang Mai is, it has become a death zone. The entire northern region. The human lungs are simply not designed to handle numbers like this day after day. The pollution is getting worse here each year, not better, as we are dealing with a degree of incompetence and indifference from this administration, that is at a level that is incomprehensible. Levels of over 200 can dramatically shorten ones life. If I were living there, I would be planning a move. 

14 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

Quote:-

32 new coronavirus cases, brings total to 114

All Thais or dirty Westerners????

A man from Belgium living in Petchabun is a confirmed case. Where he contracted it as yet unknown.

• Thanks 1

THIS IS THE PROBLEM

Yesterday Mrs  and me had the need to visit Big C, did our weekly shop and i admit noodles we woudnt normally have got ended up in the trolly, and then with a little hesitation went into KFC after seeing a hand gel just inside the door, a good strong solution was rubbed into our hands, ordered sat down and ate with a fork not fingers. 

We sat in view of the sauce dispensers and i witnessed a man walk towards the dispenser  sneeze into his hand and proceed to press the dispenser with his hand he had just sneezed into.  

1 hour ago, fcbkk said:

facts and being informed please. The issue facing us all is very serious, so even more important to keep a cool head and promote facts. 

Thanks. 

I agree.  We need to not panic.

But facts are not available in Thailand

15 hours ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

According to research (chinese scientists / WHO) the SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19 (virus/disease) can last for 2 days on surfaces at 37C.  SARS and MERS have much lower R0 which made them easier to contain.  MERS is primarily (and maybe only) contracted through camel fecal matter. 

There are 4 strains of Corona viruses that make up around 20% of the annual colds. 

Influenza virus is more averse to temperatures and yet Indonesia (comparable climate to Thailand) had 1.5 million deaths from the Spanish Flu (H1N1) in the fall wave of 1918.  That was in a time when when people were not as mobile.. which I believe was around the average mortality rate (10% of infected died - 30% of the world population were infected - again limited mobility at the time). 

Air Conditioners lowering temperatures and reducing humidity are in common use around Thailand -- especially in urban areas - transit/office/condos/shopping centres.

there is another dimension to temperature: humidity.

at 37° and 80% the half-life or SARS and MERS dropped to 3 hours and they were completely gone in 24h.

18 minutes ago, tgw said:

there is another dimension to temperature: humidity.

at 37° and 80% the half-life or SARS and MERS dropped to 3 hours and they were completely gone in 24h.

Yes, I agree there are many factors but a lot of the 'theorizing' about the heat/humidity stopping the virus are relying on a 'similar' profile virus influenza being 'heat' averse.  So taking a prior 'new' virus as that template I went and took a 'template' for Thailand -- Indonesia -- which should have similar heat/humidity and looked at the pandemic a century ago... the Spanish flu (of which the first wave was not the most deadly).  Hoping and praying that the virus will just suddenly magically disappear seems a little desperate to me.   Social distancing has been effective, but if needed in Thailand I am not sure it would be as effective since many people do not have kitchens (Bangkok), and elsewhere in rural Thailand many people still don't have refrigerators to stock up.   There is a constant and continuous need to get food on a daily basis so locking people up and allowing one person out every 7 days won't likely work. 

Thailand has one advantage that they have not taken advantage of (at least not in the quarantine setup for returnees from South Korea)... regardless of how hot it gets, the outdoors is livable.   Having someone in quarantine (that does not need oxygen) -- outdoors is actually a better place to have them stay (UV radiation and outdoor air is very beneficial in working to disinfect naturally).  I suspect (though don't have proof for) the outdoor air circulation is advantageous in that it allows for surfaces to dry completely and removing medium to allow the virus to remain viable.  The difference between indoor hospitals and outdoor quarantine was a factor in the Spanish Flu period (comparatively speaking)

Edited by bkkcanuck8

32 minutes ago, Traubert said:

Two hospitals built in 12 days. Both 1,000 beds, essentially for non ICU cases. The also co-opted a conference centre and an indoor sports arena because contrary to the scare stories, most sufferers only need observation, and medicine for symptoms while they ride out the infection. Roughly 10% are ICU cases. Almost all elderly and poor health prior to being infected.

Didn't know that. thanks. I had only heard of the one new building.

14 hours ago, Almer said:

We sat in view of the sauce dispensers and i witnessed a man walk towards the dispenser  sneeze into his hand and proceed to press the dispenser with his hand he had just sneezed into

I can trump that. I was in The Mall , Ngamwongwahn , last year....quite a high so place, when at the salad bar I saw a well dressed middle aged lady put her finger into one of the dips then into her mouth to taste it. She then put that same finger in the other four dips to taste them in the same way. 

Amazing , unclean Thailand.

2 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Thai Army welfare dept is reporting a case, the Chief of the Army Welfare Dept has been confirmed with COVID-19.

The daily press briefing from the MOPH is also pushed back to 3pm, lets see what the new numbers are.

would like to see Prayut's and Anutin's reaction if one of their relatives was confirmed with the virus.... they still say nothing to worry, no need to panic

Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha said that there was no need for people to panic and store food supplies amid the ongoing Covid-19 crisis.

Hope he's got a few face masks left "Several high-ranking officials were placed in quarantine on Monday, including a Cabinet member. Assistant agricultural minister Thammanat Prompao told reporters he will spend the next 14 days in self-quarantine"

"media reports said some firefighters in Bangkok’s Bang Phlat district have tested positive for the virus, but officials would not comment on the reports."

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/2020/03/16/thammanat-placed-in-quarantine-as-infection-surges-to-114/

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

As nice a town as Chiang Mai is, it has become a death zone. The entire northern region. The human lungs are simply not designed to handle numbers like this day after day. The pollution is getting worse here each year, not better, as we are dealing with a degree of incompetence and indifference from this administration, that is at a level that is incomprehensible. Levels of over 200 can dramatically shorten ones life. If I were living there, I would be planning a move. 

i was told today that a certain very influential individual  who owns large estates of lands and 7/11's and other properties has pretty given the farmers a green light to continue the burning of the crops..  i have heard that this person has a large stake in the feed business.

Edited by malibukid
  • Sad 1

Does anyone know how many Foreigners have been diagnosed positive with Covid-19? Following the outrageous comments from the Heath Minister a few days ago. It would be interesting to know because I have not heard of any.

• Like 1