Panic buying leading to shortages at some outlets

webfact

25 minutes ago, shackleton said:

Went to our local Makro store last night place was packed

People buying up the bags of Rice noodles water tinned food ect as we were leaving queues  were forming up of people getting in 

Went back this morning  a few people in and all the shelves were restocked

Looks like last night  was a over reaction caused by the media reporting 

Not necessarily as a lot of the small village corner shops go to Makro of a night and stock up in their normal business instead of closing to go through the day, so maybe a lot of those people that you saw were the normal stocking up of the village store. I was involved with a woman whose parents had a general village store and they closed early 1 night per week and went and did their stock buying that night so you could be reading something into it that is not there.

Edited by Russell17au
  • Like 1

Less than an hour ago I was in Makro Phichit every shelf was stocked as per normal. So I said to the wife "Do you think everything looks like its in it's normal place and stock levels normal? " she looks around and says no,  they have red potatoes and white potatoes today.   Down in the aisles same same...so if you want to  stock up,  PhiChit Makro is the go...but it's not a full line store. If you want full line you need the new Makro on the main highway At Phitsanulok.  I GEt Thai pepperoni salami there and it has a slightly better range of cheese.  I will try Tops in Phitsanulok next week.   Maybe they have ham in a can and Spam. 

Edited by Grumpy John
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Harveyboy said:

yes same here in phetchabun no panic buying at makro yesterday shelves full  

Talked to my brother in Boston yesterday. Told him what is being written over here. He laughed his ass off. He said it was true in some neighborhoods. But, mostly in neighborhoods with a high percentage of illegals. He doesn't know why, just the way it is. He says, where he lives no problems. "yet". He is not worried. Seems to be plenty of stock in the stores.

13 minutes ago, CraigInBangkok said:

With the huge rise in social media use, all the governments are like headless chickens trying to cover themselves for when it settles.

What amazes me is how people start listening and believing every word that the "governments" release when previously they didn't have a good word to say about them, never mind any trust in them.

Whats changed? they will use this "event" it has been turned into a Psycho Op, algorithms will be working overtime! They will play with the numbers to instil further fear in people! the odds of being one of those infected in the USA at this time are 0.00041%, yet 1% so far infected are "famous" & well known - coincidence?

Edited by CGW
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, jonclark said:

Food shortages in Thailand - Yeah right.  There are fruit trees on most roads, fish in most rivers and neighbors who would be happy to invite you around for a bit of dinner. And if you get really hungry - Most temples will feed the destitute. 

but you forgot about the shortage of toilet paper that you put on the table to wipe your hands on

Just now, 2long said:

Strangely, I had trouble buying Listerine Original today. Not sure if that particular flavour is any better for other uses than the minty and other flavours

I managed to get TWO big bottles of "total care" Listerine yesterday .... I have been on the look out for that for weeks!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Grumpy John said:

It's really only panic buying if your buying things you wouldn't normally use.  Like if I  went and bought a keg of beer and 100 cartons of cigarettes...... If your just buying stuff you normally use it's just buying in advance.

I bought 10 liter of Vaseline. Was told it is good to keep the mosquitos outside (told by a friend)

Edited by AlfHuy

I'll admit that I've panic bought and prepared a little;

• Enough pasta, canned sauces and noodles for 2 weeks. If all else fails, that'll do.
  • A box of Tiffy (about 8 days worth at maximum dosage) and a thermometer.
  • Washing powder for the machine.
  • Soap, shower gel & hand sanitiser.
  • Water, I normally buy when I run out, now I'm going to keep 3 pack of 1.5 L bottles on hand.
  • More cash on hand than usual, in case of urgent need.

All of that I'll keep to 2 week minimum levels, topping up as I use any - though now that I look at it, maybe I should have more water - if desperate though, I'd just boil tap water.

I've also made arrangements with a local farang owned mini-market/restaurant that, if needed, I can lodge a few thousand baht with them and order over the phone from that credit, with staff leaving things outside my door, so no human contact.

When I DO have to self quarantine - and I accept that most will get the virus and have to do so at some point - that'll keep me going.  With English language TV, books (Kindle rules!) and Internet of course.  If things take more than 2 weeks, it's probably hospital or monk time anyway!

I'm in my 60s and already have my chest hurting a little when I breath deeply (from the pollution in Pattaya) so I worry a little, but not too much, just making sensible precautions. My chest happens every year, so not virus related, at least that should ease soon based on the last couple of years.

Not panicking though, I'll still be out on the beer for St Paralytic's Day tomorrow.  ☘️????

8 hours ago, twocatsmac said:

I took the car to big C Udon Thani yesterday to do some serious panic buying but was disappointed. Full shelves of pretty much everything. No pushing or shoving, in fact for a Sunday the place was virtually dead.

I’ll try Makro today in my hunt for supermarket drama, I need to feel I’m getting one step ahead of my fellow farangs.

Sorry you will be disappointed as on Saturday Macro was business as usual apart from a temperature check on everyone entering.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, DefaultName said:

I'll admit that I've panic bought and prepared a little;

• Enough pasta, canned sauces and noodles for 2 weeks. If all else fails, that'll do.
  • A box of Tiffy (about 8 days worth at maximum dosage) and a thermometer.
  • Washing powder for the machine.
  • Soap, shower gel & hand sanitiser.
  • Water, I normally buy when I run out, now I'm going to keep 3 pack of 1.5 L bottles on hand.
  • More cash on hand than usual, in case of urgent need.

All of that I'll keep to 2 week minimum levels, topping up as I use any - though now that I look at it, maybe I should have more water - if desperate though, I'd just boil tap water.

I've also made arrangements with a local farang owned mini-market/restaurant that, if needed, I can lodge a few thousand baht with them and order over the phone from that credit, with staff leaving things outside my door, so no human contact.

When I DO have to self quarantine - and I accept that most will get the virus and have to do so at some point - that'll keep me going.  With English language TV, books (Kindle rules!) and Internet of course.  If things take more than 2 weeks, it's probably hospital or monk time anyway!

I'm in my 60s and already have my chest hurting a little when I breath deeply (from the pollution in Pattaya) so I worry a little, but not too much, just making sensible precautions. My chest happens every year, so not virus related, at least that should ease soon based on the last couple of years.

Not panicking though, I'll still be out on the beer for St Paralytic's Day tomorrow.  ☘️????

St Paralytic's day 55555. 

I think a lot of people in my area, haven't got the money to panic buy, it's been a lean season with drought and reduced rural incomes. I'm gonna try Macro for my normal 2 weekly visit. Bought 800  litres of drinking water this morning, topped the tank up. 500baht. 2 bags of rice, two bags of dog food, full tank of juice, think I'll be right, but would like to keep things topped up.

On a side note the various monks that the wife listens to aren't helping the situation with their calamity predictions, floods and famine, as well as the Thai Government stealing my 800k. Actually a tad worried when I heard that one

10 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Did my buying started three weeks ago. 180 liters of water.

Food for six weeks. In case we are told the remain home. Medicine. Kleenex. You name it. No need to go out unnecessarily now. 

The USA is crashing now with NYC becoming like Wuhin soon. Reports school's will not open again this year. Hellish conditions at the airport with people in huge groups together for hours returning from everywhere in the world. No masks. Exactly what you don't want to do.  

Myths so far are virus only affects the old and is like the common flu.

In fact people of any age are infected without symptoms and are transmitting the virus to others. Life long lung and liver damage is possible. 

Social distancing is now the only way to stop the virus. Stay home. Stay away from tourists who should not be traveling now. 

It seems only worldwide coordination could stop the virus in its tracks-never happen unfortunately because cash is king

• Like 1

3 hours ago, shackleton said:

Went to our local Makro store last night place was packed

People buying up the bags of Rice noodles water tinned food ect as we were leaving queues  were forming up of people getting in 

Went back this morning  a few people in and all the shelves were restocked

Looks like last night  was a over reaction caused by the media reporting 

Where's 'local'?

Your experience is irrelevant when it hasn't any tangible reference to your actual location.

I am in Udon and other members have confirmed my experience that there's not a lotta lootin' goin' on in this bit of Isaan.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

I bought a bigger freezer, old ones are already full of meat. If the end of the world doesn't arrive, there will be a hell of a BBQ party instead.

LOL... some people haven't even got rid of the freezer-burnt stuff from their panic buy stock up before the great flood (that never was) of 2011.

• Like 1