Coronavirus may be slowing in Italy's worst hit region - governor

snoop1130

Coronavirus may be slowing in Italy's worst hit region - governor

download.jpg

MILAN (Reuters) - Lombardy, the northern Italian region that has suffered the biggest hit from Europe’s worst coronavirus outbreak, is showing the first signs of a possible slowdown in contagion, its governor said on Monday.

The heavily populated region that includes Italy’s financial capital Milan has seen 1,218 deaths. Of those, 252 were recorded between Saturday and Sunday, the largest toll so far.

In the whole of Italy there were 368 new deaths from the COVID-19 outbreak on Sunday, easily the biggest daily toll recorded in any country, including China.

But despite the surge in deaths, Governor Attilio Fontana said he saw some reason for optimism in the data, as new cases appeared to be rising less quickly than a few days earlier.

“I have not seen today’s statistics yet, but... we can see some small steps forward,” he told Radio 1.

“The increase (in the coronavirus cases) is not a sharp rise as it was two, three days ago. Let’s hope it is the start of a trend reversal - I am saying it in a whisper - this could be the start of a trend reversal,” he said on the programme Centocittà.

Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte told daily Corriere della Sera that the outbreak was still getting worse across Italy as a whole.

“Scientists are telling us that the outbreak has not reached it peak, these weeks will be the most risky,” Conte said.

Fontana said he believed that a change in the contagion trend would be seen in the next few days following strict rules curbing people’s movements imposed from March 8, as changes in citizens’ behaviour produced results.

Lombardy is the region where the first cluster of coronavirus cases emerged on Feb. 20 in a small town some 60 km (40 miles) from Milan.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-03-16

7 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

..That the economy in my country and world-wide worries me more than the virus.

I agree. I said same 6 week ago, member say I am thai so only care money!

Need money for live. Sad people die, but no job= no food, no electric, etc= will be divorce, etc, no money pay for doctor/medicine if cancer etc. no money feed the pet, farm animal. So many problem. People will stealing, go jail etc etc etc

Have other virus flu more people dead, road crash, smoking, drinking, drug etc more people dead, but nobody care. 

Why this one important so much? 

Hope it finish quickly.  

9 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

I hope too.

When it's finish, the lives which have been disrupted will probably outnumber the victims of corona virus.

..And the economy will be in tatters for years to come.

A variant of the expression 'We had to destroy the village in order to save it' may end up being rather too close to reality.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, dabhand said:

A variant of the expression 'We had to destroy the village in order to save it' may end up being rather too close to reality.

Yep, surely it's too early to draw conclusions, but it doesn't look good, and you may be right.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Yinn said:

I agree. I said same 6 week ago, member say I am thai so only care money!

Need money for live. Sad people die, but no job= no food, no electric, etc= will be divorce, etc, no money pay for doctor/medicine if cancer etc. no money feed the pet, farm animal. So many problem. People will stealing, go jail etc etc etc

Have other virus flu more people dead, road crash, smoking, drinking, drug etc more people dead, but nobody care. 

Why this one important so much? 

Hope it finish quickly.  

I will tell you why. People sick > cannot produce food > cannot maintain the PEA > get stressed and get divorce > can't work so no money to pay for doctor, food for pets or medicine > doctor sick so can't help people and so forth.

It is important to understand this is a highly contagious disease that will spread way too fast if done nothing.

Edited by DeeMak9

Hope it will change for better soon, sad how many people died in Italy , and in all other countries affected.

Germany refused to supply Italy with much needed respirators . China is sending them to Italy now.

Brits very smart to leave EU  led by bureaucrats who in time of crisis show no solidarity to fellow members.  

57 minutes ago, looking on the bright side said:

Hope it will change for better soon, sad how many people died in Italy , and in all other countries affected.

Germany refused to supply Italy with much needed respirators . China is sending them to Italy now.

Brits very smart to leave EU  led by bureaucrats who in time of crisis show no solidarity to fellow members.  

You said it ,so much for United Europe,as we now see its every country for itself ,but then us Brits always knew that and that is why we never really wanted to be in the club ,we were tricked into it by Heath , Germany was always the leader with the French following like the poodle they are (sorry thats not a dig at the people but the leaders)

Oh snap... The apocalypse is already... finished ?

So soon ?

So what are the scores ?

Let's see...

2 158 deaths, for the virus.

Not too bad... Most of them... due to their age... would have died anyway during 2020...

Now let's see how many italians die every year ?

633 000 (2019)

Voilà. 

So it's easy to understand why the "governor" starts to think that... euh.. well... he has been a fool.

And with him, 60 millions of other Italians (minus the 2 158, obviously, who died from this terrible virus).

Perhaps I'm missing something, but seems to me that once all the susceptible people have caught it and either died or got better and went home, the contagion is going to end. Healthy people with good immune systems are probably not at much risk anyway. That's how pandemics work- the susceptible catch it and either die or get over it, and the rest carry on. That's what happened with the Spanish flue- apparently 10% infection rate ( or perhaps the fatality rate, I'm not sure ), but everyone else carried on.