Thailand must win the fight against Covid-19, says Prayut

webfact

1 hour ago, DrTuner said:

There seems to be some of it happening behind the scenes, like preparing the extra hospital. Usurpers are only interested in keeping face and filling the trough, they could care less about any real actions.

Better still, consult Dr Fauci (USA) then do what he advises... None of the usual "I used my discretion because I'm a Thai super hero" nonsense we usually get.

14 hours ago, Number 6 said:

I'm still absolutely unable to find facemasks or alcohol other than the initial amount I was able to scrounge up. Just asked yesterday at another ten pharmacy.

Why on earth are you looking for masks?

Are you sick?

Do you not believe or understand the WHO advice on the use/misuse of masks? 

Is it your intent to deprive health workers who are desperately short of these items?

Please don't tell us that you are following the advice of the foul mouthed, engineering trained, health minister.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Number 6 said:

I'm still absolutely unable to find facemasks or alcohol other than the initial amount I was able to scrounge up. Just asked yesterday at another ten pharmacy.

Conspiracy to sell (millions?) of TONS of facemasks (did I read that correctly???) to Communist China might be an issue. So too the death of Chinese in Huay Kwang related. Another huge amount reportedly bad masks, soiled sold to Chinese for 2m baht.

Western countries should really note this nation's alliegences and treat accordingly. Tariff on western food items is ridiculous. Virtually no western products in stores

Just have this horrible feeling it's gonna get ugly for us farang by govt edict. None of what comes out of it ever makes a bit of sense.

"Just have this horrible feeling it's gonna get ugly for us farang by govt edict."

Not enough moneyed farang to make a real difference now. Many Thais in the villages are secretly worried about their aged farang benefactors though. I wonder how many ventilators there are in the Provincial cities and who will get allotted one - the beneficiaries will not have a say but the Health Minister might.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Patanawet said:

Are you sick?

Is it your intent to deprive health workers who are desperately short of these items?

Please don't tell us that you are following the advice of the foul mouthed, engineering trained, health minister.

Well if you live in Chiang Mai you should be wearing a mask of sorts never mind COVID-19 & the WHO. Every police man, GOV worker or Health care worker I have seen of late and for many months past has had a new mask on for sure.

Enough said on MASKS.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, webfact said:

the surge in the number of infections last week might have resulted from the mass gatherings of people,

15 hours ago, webfact said:

The government will also announce more stringent measures to contain the outbreak, including a temporary ban on mass activities and closure of high-risk venues

How about closing CW Immigration then? Go on, make my day!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Number 6 said:

Conspiracy to sell (millions?) of TONS of facemasks (did I read that correctly???) to Communist China might be an issue. So too the death of Chinese in Huay Kwang related. Another huge amount reportedly bad masks, soiled sold to Chinese for 2m baht.

Western countries should really note this nation's alliegences and treat accordingly. Tariff on western food items is ridiculous. Virtually no western products in stores

Just have this horrible feeling it's gonna get ugly for us farang by govt edict. None of what comes out of it ever makes a bit of sense.

Excuse me?? There is plenty of western sourced food in Thai supermarkets...and relatively little coming out of China. Thai consumers prefer western food anyway. Yes, it's more expensive than it should be, but don't make up things that aren't true.

Unless you only shop at Tesco Loso or Big C, which don't have anything. Next time, try shopping at least at Big C extra (they tend to have a decent range of imported produce), Foodland, Tops/Central Food Hall or Gourmet Market.

Only poor people go to Tesco or Big C.

I agree with you about the rest of your post...but don't forget...while the Thai government is cosying up to China...Thailand is still very much in the western sphere of influence for everything else. Chinese app WeChat...not very popular in Thailand. Japanese chat app LINE? Extremely popular. Facebook? Extremely popular in Thailand but unavailable in China...the Chinese equivalent Weibo? Virtually unknown in Thailand. Google - very popular in Thailand, unavailable in China.

American, European and especially Japanese cars? Very popular. Chinese cars? Nope. Hardly any on the roads...Chinese groceries? Ugh...no. Western groceries? Check. In high demand. Ditto for Japanese and Korean. And I could go...but you get the picture.

11 hours ago, SuwadeeS said:

Actually, in my opinion it should be not called Corona virus, because of the massive damage to an not involved beer company. So I will call it now as it is usual to any virus like that by the name of origin.

Chinese Virus. 

Wuhan Flu.... Wu Flu.....? Or maybe Bat Flu.

Yeah, I like the sound of Wu Flu.

12 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

we have German measles, Spanish flu, Japanese encephalitis, zika and ebola, Nile fever and others relating to places mostly where the disease started or was first noticed. So WHY not Wuhan or Chinese flu?

So long as its not Bird Flu.... Yikes!

2 minutes ago, drbeach said:

I agree with you about the rest of your post...but don't forget...while the Thai government is cosying up to China...Thailand is still very much in the western sphere of influence for everything else. Chinese app WeChat...not very popular in Thailand. Japanese chat app LINE? Extremely popular. Facebook? Extremely popular in Thailand but unavailable in China...the Chinese equivalent Weibo? Virtually unknown in Thailand. Google - very popular in Thailand, unavailable in China.

American, European and especially Japanese cars? Very popular. Chinese cars? Nope. Hardly any on the roads...Chinese groceries? Ugh...no. Western groceries? Check. In high demand. Ditto for Japanese and Korean. And I could go...but you get the picture.

That will all change once motherland annexes Chailand. A couple of years ago Makro in Pattaya started having lots of Chinese spices, potatoes and carrots are all from there, etc. The tide is turning steadily. COVID-19 is likely to accelerate it now that government PR seems to have been outsourced to Xinhua, Chinese Communist Party's propaganda outfit and as we've seen, Chinese trolls are now among us.

Just wish Bruce lee were still alive he could have kicked the Wu Flu using his KungFu, and David Carradine could have helped being the Shaolin Monk that he was...

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Patanawet said:

Are you sick?

I wear a mask for fashion now on the BTS MRT to avoid the evil eye. I realize how ridiculous it is.

I have one good mask. I keep it in the original envelope and only take it out to go indoors. It should last me a good long while.

Wife needs masks but like all Thai she thinks it's protecting her regardless of what I say.

I was just thinking today. If everyone in Thailand wore masks as Health Min Aunutin banged on about. If on average 75m people could easily go through 225m masks A DAY worn properly.

Will never forget as long as I live the guy handing out single, unpackaged masks bare handed.

This nation so desperately needs education.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

David Carradine

David Carradine was said to have hanged himself by sexual asphixiation (sp). Dressed in panties and garter found dead here in BKK. Nai Lert I believe it was.

No, won't be much help mate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Orton Rd said:

Masks stop you touching your mouth and nose so must be of some help

Putting it on and taking it off cause you to touch your face. So, having to wear these for social pressure even though they aren't effective in protecting us increases the risk of spreading infection. I, too, wear one when out to avoid people thinking badly of me even though I don't think it's helping. Like others here, I have a wife who won't believe that they are ineffective. Most Thai people I know in my neighborhood seem to wear the same one over and over for days.

14 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

we have German measles, Spanish flu, Japanese encephalitis, zika and ebola, Nile fever and others relating to places mostly where the disease started or was first noticed. So WHY not Wuhan or Chinese flu? because the Chinese did not want the WHO and the rest of the world to call it that, even though it's true.

1. Because it is not a flu.

2. Because the virus is a  variant of an existing virus already called SARS, hence the name SARS CoV-2. This name  is in effect and is accurate.

The virus was first identified in Wuhan, but that does not mean it originated there. Due to the ghastly torture and abuse of animals  associated with the virus, it could have just as likely occurred in any region where such barbaric practices occur such as South Korea, Laos, Vietnam, and many latin American and African countries. And don't think for a moment that western countries are much better. The  pork and chicken farming methods and over use of antibiotics brings with them their own risk of antibiotic resistant disease.

And yes, the Chinese  put extreme pressure on the WHO to not call it  Wuhan SARS etc.  in an effort to prevent stigma being attached. In retrospect attaching ethnic or geographic adjectives to a disease can create a negative impact upon people of that ethnicity  and damage the economy of the region. Ask the people of New Mexico, Utah, Colorado & Arizona  how much economic damage they incurred before the 4 Corners hantavirus was retermed as Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome (HPS). 

1 hour ago, geriatrickid said:

1. Because it is not a flu.

2. Because the virus is a  variant of an existing virus already called SARS, hence the name SARS CoV-2. This name  is in effect and is accurate.

The virus was first identified in Wuhan, but that does not mean it originated there. Due to the ghastly torture and abuse of animals  associated with the virus, it could have just as likely occurred in any region where such barbaric practices occur such as South Korea, Laos, Vietnam, and many latin American and African countries. And don't think for a moment that western countries are much better. The  pork and chicken farming methods and over use of antibiotics brings with them their own risk of antibiotic resistant disease.

And yes, the Chinese  put extreme pressure on the WHO to not call it  Wuhan SARS etc.  in an effort to prevent stigma being attached. In retrospect attaching ethnic or geographic adjectives to a disease can create a negative impact upon people of that ethnicity  and damage the economy of the region. Ask the people of New Mexico, Utah, Colorado & Arizona  how much economic damage they incurred before the 4 Corners hantavirus was retermed as Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome (HPS). 

It's also a variant of MERS, it's simply a corona virus. Many exist. Corona = crown. 

MERS means Middle Eastern respiratory syndrome... how is calling it like that ok but calling it wuhan virus not. BS. 

These names are much better for the public to remember, that's why iphones are called like they are and not given random names no one can remember. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

It's also a variant of MERS, it's simply a corona virus. Many exist. Corona = crown. 

MERS means Middle Eastern respiratory syndrome... how is calling it like that ok but calling it wuhan virus not. BS. 

These names are much better for the public to remember, that's why iphones are called like they are and not given random names no one can remember. 

I can sense that it might Soon be renamed in: Dirty Farang Virus !!

On 3/17/2020 at 3:57 AM, Number 6 said:

Plentiful supply in Bangkok. I have been given free masks and sanitizer by my condo juristic but store shelve are full of sanitizer at my local shop and you can always order from Lazada 

"He urged people to take care of their health, to eat only well-cooked and clean food, to avoid sharing spoons and glasses, to wear face masks in high-risk areas, to wash their hands often with soap and water, especially if they have touched hand rails and door knobs, and the avoidance of crowds."

Question to our prime minister: where can your people buy them, please? I can't find any anywhere.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 5633572526 said:

Plentiful supply in Bangkok. I have been given free masks and sanitizer by my condo juristic but store shelve are full of sanitizer at my local shop and you can always order from Lazada 

where are the plentiful supply of face masks as you allude to in this post........

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, 5633572526 said:

Plentiful supply in Bangkok

Tripe. I live in central Bangkok. I've not found one mask in a store. Your condo has an inside track. Be happy to buy a pack from you.

I don't need expensive, ridiculous gel. I want bottles of alcohol.