Thailand reports 30 new coronavirus cases, total of 177, official says

webfact

28 minutes ago, WalkingOrders said:

Peak prosperity? A cursory look seems to indicate some association with the sale of precious metals? Through advertisers or associated ventures to their podcast?

If so, everything they say, is engineered toward the love of creating, or amplifying crisis, and the prediction of doom and gloom, as nothing sells precious metals better then being able to pitch pandemonium!

I did not watch any peak prosperity videos because I did not consider them a good source.  I have watched a lot of Dr. John Campbells videos which I would recommend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

I did not watch any peak prosperity videos because I did not consider them a good source.  I have watched a lot of Dr. John Campbells videos which I would recommend.

Sorry, someone here was indicating following Peak Prosperity series. I Will try to give him a look, I am unfamiliar.

7 hours ago, robblok said:

Guess your anti Thai bril is coloring your vision.

The only reason they want to put it on foreigners is not xenofobia but the fact that if its Thais they will have to admit it has reached stage 3. They are trying to prevent that. 

So in essence you are saying that they are happy to blame foreigners , which will have an impact , in order to delay the inevitable truth.

What a way to run a country !!

The numbers in Thailand are much higher than you think, just look at the testing in Thailand compared to other countries. 

Norway already tested 22000 people and we have 1500 cases. 

How many tested in Thailand? 

• Like 1

Isranews has an article about VISTEC and PTT having developed (together with Thai hospitals and MIT in USA) a quick SARS-CoV-2 test kit which costs about 15 USD/test and is apparently of the same type as the Japanese/Chinese kit, ie. one of those antibody tests where you <deleted> your finger and have the plastic tester with the red lines, like HIV test. It's in Thai so won't link but should appear on TVF soon. It's good news for normal people, nightmare for those that are trying to cover up the real numbers. 

I suppose it's ok to link the image:

170320_pttvittec123.jpg

You might recognize the gentleman in white suit.

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30382945

EDIT: Ah you naughty TVF filter you, now that it says <deleted> the ones with a dark imagination will not know what they are supposed to do with your finger. Hint, it starts with p and is a verb.

Edited by DrTuner

11 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

There's an interesting article in Bangkok Post, can't link but you'll find it, basically the Thoracic Society of Thailand on it's facebook page said Thailand is entering stage 3 and is ill prepared for it. Stage 3 being where you can't attribute infections to any know source anymore because it's making rounds in the general population. 

I am unsure of how Thailand would cope with the social distancing lockdown.  One Thais have a problem with that (on average) even for very short periods.  Then the lockdown (extreme) requires them to only go out every few days to restock -- and many in Bangkok have no kitchen and a small fridge.  Up in Isan many would not even have a fridge.

• Like 2

Of course the numbers of cases seem very low for Thailand, given the high level of contact with China and lack of measures to bar entry or isolate the disease. To echo others it seems very possible that, due to the lack of testing many serious cases and deaths have been misreported as dengue and viral pneumonia. Cases with mild symptoms may have been mistaken for common colds with the infected patients still active in the community and spreading it around.  For those who have the virus without symptoms it is not clear whether they can transmit it or not. 

1 minute ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

I am unsure of how Thailand would cope with the social distancing lockdown.  One Thais have a problem with that (on average) even for very short periods.  Then the lockdown (extreme) requires them to only go out every few days to restock -- and many in Bangkok have no kitchen and a small fridge.  Up in Isan many would not even have a fridge.

Yes and they have to eat about every 15mins. Wife goes to talad at least 3 times a day, even when we've got a fully stocked fridge. It's part of Thai culture and can't be changed quickly.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

Many in Bkk rely on footpath food.  If the stalls are shooed away, they are left with instant noodles.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

There are now 2,108 deaths (in the first couple weeks in Italy). 

The mortality rate is around 7%

It would take 3 months to infect 70% of Italians if not controlled through radical action.... 

At a mortality rate of 3% of 70% (of 60 million people) infected in 3 months....  that would translate into 1.26 million. 

Italy has a fatality rate of 7%, although it has a first world public health service, probably because its health service was badly prepared for a pandemic and was simply overtaken by events and its health system was overwhelmed by cases needing intensive care before it could resource up. 

Nearly every other country on earth seems likely to face the same sudden ramp up of critical cases as Italy. Thailand has a reasonable public health system but it's way below the level of Italy's and the government  has been wasting precious time it could have been using to resource up  by not facing reality.

Sadly Thailand risks having a worse fatality rate than Italy when and if it hits.   

3 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

Italy has a fatality rate of 7%, although it has a first world public health service, probably because its health service was badly prepared for a pandemic and was simply overtaken by events and its health system was overwhelmed by cases needing intensive care before it could resource up. 

Nearly every other country on earth seems likely to face the same sudden ramp up of critical cases as Italy. Thailand has a reasonable public health system but it's way below the level of Italy's and the government  has been wasting precious time it could have been using to resource up  by not facing reality.

Sadly Thailand risks having a worse fatality rate than Italy when and if it hits.   

Italy is full of smokers and old people that are dying.

7 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

From the general description provided on the new cases, I'd strongly imagine that most if not all of the new cases involve Thai nationals as opposed to non-Chinese foreigners.

The number of cases confirmed by the government here involving western foreigners, the last time I saw any breakdown on that, was just a very few.

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2020/03/17/new-cluster-of-30-patients-linked-to-boxing-stadium/

So the above comment would suggest 27 of the 30 latest cases were Thais.... And of the other 3, no distinctions between China/Japan/Korea vs western foreigners.

PS - The Thai DDC did a confirmed case nationalities update in their March 15 daily situation update when the confirmed case total was 114... At that point, they said:

So as I said above, Thai and Chinese account for the vast majority of all confirmed cases announced by the Thai authorities thus far, and western foreigners just a few.

Foreigners returning home after a break in Thailand are arriving home with more than a tan. A Brit and a Australian tested positive for Covid19 on their arrival  home. Reported in Thai Visa last week

Edited by simtemple

55 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

There's an interesting article in Bangkok Post, can't link but you'll find it, basically the Thoracic Society of Thailand on it's facebook page said Thailand is entering stage 3 and is ill prepared for it. Stage 3 being where you can't attribute infections to any know source anymore because it's making rounds in the general population. 

If you keep attributing new infections to: "had contact with a non-Chinese foreigner" can you stay in Stage Two?

8 hours ago, CraigInBangkok said:

I totally agree ... I look at the numbers and I see how things have flattened out in china and s.korea after a 3 week peak and I struggle to find reasons to panic other than news from governments and other media outlets 

Thailand hasn't implemented the  tough measures  seen in those countries. If you wish to see what probably lies ahead, look at  Italy because  Thailand shares some unfortunate characteristics.

- Thailand has more male smokers than female smokers 

- Thailand has an elderly population that is vulnerable and they are concentrated in regions with health care facilities that will not be able to cope with the  cases.

Thailand now has community spread. It is a direct result of the refusal to stop infected carriers from entering in January when it had the opportunity. Other countries who made the same error are the EU, USA, Australia and Canada. They  too are paying the cost of the delay.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrTuner said:

Isranews has an article about VISTEC and PTT having developed (together with Thai hospitals and MIT in USA) a quick SARS-CoV-2 test kit which costs about 15 USD/test and is apparently of the same type as the Japanese/Chinese kit, ie. one of those antibody tests where you <deleted> your finger and have the plastic tester with the red lines, like HIV test. It's in Thai so won't link but should appear on TVF soon. It's good news for normal people, nightmare for those that are trying to cover up the real numbers. 

I asked a top virologist & vaccine maker about the 15-minute IgM antibody test developed by Chinese and reported by Xinhua on 15 Feb. Virologist said that it would take around a week after infection for the antibody to show in the blood, but Chinese claimed that the antibody test was better than their nucleic acid RT-PCR. If Isranews article is opened in Chrome browser, maybe it can translate into English. Please post link.

https://www.msn.com/th-th/news/world/จีนพัฒนาชุดตรวจจับ-โควิด-19-ใหม่เห็นผลใน-15-นาที/ar-BB101PR7?ocid=spartanntp

this evening in Hua Hin you can hear people coughing with a deep very congested sounding cough as they walk around and while eating.

of course it is flu season.

i really hope everybody is going to be alright. there are so many older frail men in Hua Hin sitting in large groups. I mean honestly it is like a retirement home. the perfect place for the virus to kill. I guess these old guys don't care if they get it. they are smoking and drinking also. again the worst thing you can do.   

i did see a uptick in masks on farangs today in the malls. from zero to maybe 5.

NEW: NY Gov. Cuomo says expert projections show expected peak of coronavirus cases in New York in 45 days. Cuomo says state will need 55,000-110,000 hospital beds and 18,600-37,200 ICU beds at projected peak, and that state currently has 53,000 hospital beds and 3,000 ICU beds.

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1239926244998774784

5 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

NEW: NY Gov. Cuomo says expert projections show expected peak of coronavirus cases in New York in 45 days. Cuomo says state will need 55,000-110,000 hospital beds and 18,600-37,200 ICU beds at projected peak, and that state currently has 53,000 hospital beds and 3,000 ICU beds.

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1239926244998774784

I think that is a rather conservative estimate (only applicable if they can get the social distancing to flatten the curve).  Right now they announced 1,300 cases with 19% hospitalization...  They cannot even source the oxygen support machines right now so I am not sure how they are going to equip the ICU / extra beds. 

1 hour ago, placnx said:

I asked a top virologist & vaccine maker about the 15-minute IgM antibody test developed by Chinese and reported by Xinhua on 15 Feb. Virologist said that it would take around a week after infection for the antibody to show in the blood, but Chinese claimed that the antibody test was better than their nucleic acid RT-PCR. If Isranews article is opened in Chrome browser, maybe it can translate into English. Please post link.

https://www.msn.com/th-th/news/world/จีนพัฒนาชุดตรวจจับ-โควิด-19-ใหม่เห็นผลใน-15-นาที/ar-BB101PR7?ocid=spartanntp

Found a way to make a direct google translate link for the whole page: https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.isranews.org%2Farticle%2Fisranews-news%2F86497-news-9.html

1 hour ago, placnx said:

Regarding the test mentioned by Dr Tuner in post #127, here is a link from MIT news on their test. It seems different from the Chinese test.

http://news.mit.edu/2020/covid-19-diagnostic-test-prevention-0312

It might be this one as they mention the Broad Institute: https://www.broadinstitute.org/files/publications/special/COVID-19 detection (updated).pdf

Looks promising. However it still needs thermal cycling of the samples just as PCR, not a simple blood test. Could be somthing else from same institute of course.

This might be the true source of the progress: https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/03/115-million-more-80-boston-researchers-will-collaborate-tackle-covid-19 

Edited by DrTuner

44 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

I think that is a rather conservative estimate (only applicable if they can get the social distancing to flatten the curve).  Right now they announced 1,300 cases with 19% hospitalization...  They cannot even source the oxygen support machines right now so I am not sure how they are going to equip the ICU / extra beds. 

It's amazing how nimble US folks can be when they have to .. https://hackaday.com/2020/03/12/ultimate-medical-hackathon-how-fast-can-we-design-and-deploy-an-open-source-ventilator/ . They might jerry-rig something. It's good to see people are trying to find solutions.