Do we really need a medical cert?

Hello all, 

I have been a bit reluctant to book a flight with all the madness going on, anyway today I got my none O visa from my home town in Hull and then booked an hour later. 

Since then literally an hour after I booked I saw some reports stating ALL nationalities (im UK) must show a medical cert and an insurance cover for the virus, anyway I called my doctor he said a. do not come to the doctors we cannot accommodate anyone atm, b. he wouldn't even give me a medical cert unless I had symptoms of something more serious plus even then it could take weeks.

Anyway, I am here in the UK with my son who is both UK/Thai national, we are due to get on a flight tomorrow to bkk from the UK, I am getting conflicting info here, for example most are saying its not ALL nationalities but then CNN and some other sites updated today say now ALL nationalities must have this.

I have my son here, and my wife and daughter in Chiang Mai so I really want to get back, question is, would you guys chance it? I guess the worst that can happen is they say no medical cert or insurance go home, but can they do that to my son who is a Thai? surely no one can get a medical cert with all of this going on? insurance for the virus is  virtually a joke in the UK as in you'd never get that.

Sorry to babble on guys, just wondering is is not ALL countries must show a medical cert and if so, would you just get on the flight and chance it? I do have a none O already issued today however I am just a bit weary of getting onit and ending up in more of a pickle but then im in the mentality if i dont try now i might be locked out for months? 

Any advice or info on if this is true now as of effective from today it seems, 

Another thing im wondering is if the airline (finn air) will even let us board knowing we wouldnt get in without a medical cert if that is the case surely they must know? or do they just say well we take you and its up to you to check you have the relevant papers to get in? 

My main nightmare worry is they try and force my boy into self isolation or sling is in a cell and send us home as he only 5 and they are not exactly the most pleasant people,

Cheers all 

'The new measure requires all nationalities arriving in the kingdom to show a medical certificate, issued no more than three days prior to their arrival, have purchased an insurance plan for COVID-19 and giving consent to allow authorities to install a monitoring application on their smart phone.'

• Sad 1

cheers blackcab, so thats a yes then? this is going to be hard for anyone to get, wonder what about the ppl in the air as this rule changed today? plus wondering if i should get onit and if so are they just going to send us back? 

This site doesnt say that 
https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/ind_outbreak.php 

its all madness atm

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Salerno said:

It's just bad reporting (and in this world of 24 hour news cycles, being picked up and repeated) and yes, if true, the airline would refuse boarding.

Thing is, im not sure if thats completely true, I was told an airline dutie is to check your passport only, its up to you to ensure you have the right paperwork and visas, then again who knows what is true, I am still unsure if the UK is on that list and if we will be denied, I see some good sources saying yes and some no, maybe just some sites are not updating quick enough ????

2 minutes ago, ryanhull said:

its all madness atm

Due to the decline of journalism.

As you've already pointed out, MoPH refutes the reports and another good site to keep an eye on is https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/international-travel-document-news/1580226297.htm Although targeted more at airline/aircrew than the general public, it is up-to-date and tells you the restrictions the airlines have to follow re health certificates, visas, insurance etc.

1 minute ago, Salerno said:

Due to the decline of journalism.

As you've already pointed out, MoPH refutes the reports and another good site to keep an eye on is https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/international-travel-document-news/1580226297.htm Although targeted more at airline/aircrew than the general public, it is up-to-date and tells you the restrictions the airlines have to follow re health certificates, visas, insurance etc.

hey, so your source doesnt state the UK 

'THAILAND - published 13.03.2020
1. Passengers arriving from China (People's Rep.), Hong Kong (SAR China), Iran, Italy, Korea (Rep.) or Macao (SAR China) must have a Health Certificate as well as Lab Test COVID-19 to prove they are free from Coronavirus (COVID-19). The Health Certificate and Lab Test COVID-19 must be valid for not more than 2 days prior to departure.
- This does not apply to airline crew.
2. Passengers arriving from China (People's Rep.), Hong Kong (SAR China), Iran, Italy, Korea (Rep.) or Macao (SAR China) must have a medical insurance with coverage of 100,000 USD.
- This does not apply to nationals of Thailand.
3. Passengers and crew members must present a completed T.8 health questionnaire to Health Control Office upon arrival.
4. Crew members not based in Thailand arriving from China (People's Rep.), Hong Kong (SAR China), Iran, Italy, Korea (Rep.) or Macao (SAR China) will be quarantined at the hotel until next departure schedule.
5. Crew members based in Thailand arriving from China (People's Rep.), Hong Kong (SAR China), Iran, Italy, Korea (Rep.) or Macao (SAR China) will be quarantined at home until next departure schedule.
- This does not apply when they only transited through China (People's Rep.), Hong Kong (SAR China), Iran, Italy, Korea (Rep.) or Macao (SAR China).
6. Based on the travel advisory restriction issued by United Arab Emirates Government, nationals of United Arab Emirates are not allowed to travel to Thailand.
7. Nationals of Bulgaria, Bhutan, China (People's Rep.), Cyprus, Ethiopia, Fiji, Georgia, India, Kazakhstan, Malta, Mexico, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Romania, Saudi Arabia, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu and passengers with a Chinese Taipei (on the cover: Republic of China Taiwan) passport can no longer obtain a visa on arrival.
8. Nationals of Italy are no longer visa exempt.'

Yer another poster on this threads source: ALL Nationalities

which one is it? lol

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ryanhull said:

I was told an airline dutie is to check your passport only, its up to you to ensure you have the right paperwork and visas

Airlines are responsible if you get refused at a destination; by law they have to repatriate you and can face steep fines therefore, they check as much as possible not just passports. There have been reports of people insisting and signing a waiver to the affect the airline is no longer responsible for any costs that may incur due to refusal at destination but it's not "normal" practice.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ryanhull said:

Because UK has been deemed to be a "country of ongoing transmission" for which the Thai's do not need, at this time, a health certificate or insurance policy.

3 minutes ago, ryanhull said:

which one is it? lol

Up to you, do you believe dodgy reporter looking for clicks or official sources of info ????

Edited by Salerno
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Because UK has been deemed to be a "country of ongoing transmission" for which the Thai's do not need, at this time, a health certificate or insurance policy.

Up to you, do you believe dodgy reporter looking for clicks or official sources of info ????

Hi mate, I would rather agree with you as it means ill likely get in, just so many credible sources are now saying the uk, even CNN but as you say seems UK is ok for now for the medical cert? thanks alot btw for the replies im really in a panic stage tbh as I want to get back as I know its going to be locked down very soon for everyone, cheers

5 minutes ago, ryanhull said:

I want to get back as I know its going to be locked down very soon for everyone

Definitely looking that way, your flights tomorrow so enjoy the flight and the reunion with the rest of your family. Be safe ????

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Salerno said:

Definitely looking that way, your flights tomorrow so enjoy the flight and the reunion with the rest of your family. Be safe ????

thanks buddy, half of my family here are saying im crazy if i get on that flight, half are saying im crazy if i dont hehe, thanks alot mate appreciated

No worries, meant to mention, prefill the T8 (or grab the app if you don't mind being tracked). All accounts so far say not being enforced but one less hassle if they ask for it.

• Thanks 1

I'd be inclined to call the airline and/or immigration (how's your Thai?) to confirm. Wouldn't' have thought it'd be a thing for UK folk at this point though; they're still taking in tourists and it'd be mayhem as virtually nobody would have that paperwork. In your shoes I would probably go for it... you'd have more chance getting in now than the coming weeks/months. Be sure to go through the Thai desk at immigration.

All the best.

Most likely, in the countries in which it is impossible to get a SARS-CoV-2 test certificate solely for the purpose of meeting another country's travel or immigration requirements, the government has issued a travel advisory suggesting the avoidance of all unnecessary travel to that other country. Therefore, the wisest thing to do is to abandon one's plan for this trip. This is what I did.

8 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I am also concerned about this as currently out of the country and planning to return.

It appears to have been incorrectly reported in the press.  Health certificate and insurance are required only if coming from countries categorized as "Disease Infected" i.e.:

China (include HK, Macau)

South Korea

Italy

Iran

The danger will be if they reclassify the country you are in as "Disease Infected" as opposed to "ongoing local transmission". Which could happen for some countries.

Lot of miss understanding of what is actually being said 

they want as many uk tourists as possible to bolster the economy 

• Haha 1

For what it is worth i have verified with the Thai Embassy in Phnom Penh that no medical certificate needed entering Thailand from Cambodia regardless of passport nationality. 

I didn't ask re flying as I plan to return by road....tomorrow, a good 2 1/2 weeks earlier than planned as I am afraid of getting stuck & unable to enter if I wait.

• Like 1

Richard Barrow is also trying to get back to Thailand from the UK and he has really dug into this issue over the past 12 hours after Prayut said in his speech last night that arriving passengers from "local transmission" countries will need a health cert. Bangkok Post then increased the confusion by reporting just that. 

But Richard reported hours ago that this is NOT THE CASE. From what I understand, he received that info from both his airline and Thai embassy in UK (direct contact with them via Facebook). This matches what is currently on the DDC's website which says only passengers arriving from the four countries classed as "disease infected" need the health cert. 

And yes, as with visa requirements, Thailand is outsourcing checks on this requirement to airlines, which is ridiculous imo. 

• Like 1

You do not need a medical certificate travelling from the UK. There is a lot of fake news.

Use the Thai DoDC website for the latest accurate information: https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/index.php

Also, the Embassy in London website: http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/7742/114909-Travel-measures-to-control-Coronavirus-(COVID-19).html

It is stressful though, I'm flying next week and the requirements could change at any moment – there's no chance of getting a medical certificate in the UK right now. 

13 hours ago, daveAustin said:

I'd be inclined to call the airline and/or immigration (how's your Thai?) to confirm. Wouldn't' have thought it'd be a thing for UK folk at this point though; they're still taking in tourists and it'd be mayhem as virtually nobody would have that paperwork. In your shoes I would probably go for it... you'd have more chance getting in now than the coming weeks/months. Be sure to go through the Thai desk at immigration.

All the best.

Re having health insurance. I have an air ticket from Oz to arrive Chiang Mai 12 April. 

I've made an appointment to get a med. report from local Dr. just before departure.

Yesterday and today I've spoken to 8 health and/or travel/health insurers. Every company has told me there is now an industry policy to not cover any claims connected to the Covid 19 virus. 

Edited by scorecard

20 hours ago, ryanhull said:

he wouldn't even give me a medical cert

Here in the New York New Jersey area, while they have set up some testing stations, one must make an appointment, one must get a Doctor to certify the test is necessary, and I think you must name or assert you were with or near somebody that had tested positive, which of course you almost certainly will not know.  So I don't know how this Thai policy is workable

• Like 1

'THAILAND - published 13.03.2020
1. Passengers arriving from China (People's Rep.), Hong Kong (SAR China), Iran, Italy, Korea (Rep.) or Macao (SAR China) must have a Health Certificate as well as Lab Test COVID-19 to prove they are free from Coronavirus (COVID-19). The Health Certificate and Lab Test COVID-19 must be valid for not more than 2 days prior to departure.
2. Passengers arriving from China (People's Rep.), Hong Kong (SAR China), Iran, Italy, Korea (Rep.) or Macao (SAR China) must have a medical insurance with coverage of 100,000 USD.
- This does not apply to nationals of Thailand.
3. Passengers and crew members must present a completed T.8 health questionnaire to Health Control Office upon arrival.
4. Crew members not based in Thailand arriving from China (People's Rep.), Hong Kong (SAR China), Iran, Italy, Korea (Rep.) or Macao (SAR China) will be quarantined at the hotel until next departure schedule.
5. Crew members based in Thailand arriving from China (People's Rep.), Hong Kong (SAR China), Iran, Italy, Korea (Rep.) or Macao (SAR China) will be quarantined at home until next departure schedule.
- This does not apply when they only transited through China (People's Rep.), Hong Kong (SAR China), Iran, Italy, Korea (Rep.) or Macao (SAR China).
6. Based on the travel advisory restriction issued by United Arab Emirates Government, nationals of United Arab Emirates are not allowed to travel to Thailand.
7. Nationals of Bulgaria, Bhutan, China (People's Rep.), Cyprus, Ethiopia, Fiji, Georgia, India, Kazakhstan, Malta, Mexico, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Romania, Saudi Arabia, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu and passengers with a Chinese Taipei (on the cover: Republic of China Taiwan) passport can no longer obtain a visa on arrival.
8. Nationals of Italy are no longer visa exempt.'

Yer another poster on this threads source: ALL Nationalities

which one is it? lol

That information is 5 days old. the situation is very fluid and changing all the time. last I heard the medical certificate was required form defined countries. Need to check the latest Thai updates. I think the UK is included but check your self.

Fair chance the whole of Thailand is off limits very soon to all travelers. Might be already from the news this evening. Hopefully you are in the air by now and may still be able to enter and do the 14 days.

Check some other threads that are more up to date....as in the last hour or so.

Edited by emptypockets

This site doesnt say that 

That site might not be updated as the announcement was just last night.

They need a translator who is fluent in both English and Thai to change the content and also a website master to upload the page. It takes some time.

Edited by EricTh
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

That information is 5 days old. the situation is very fluid and changing all the time.

Agree. The situation change so fast that previously published rules might be obsolete within a few days.

Each webpage should have a 'last updated date' printed so that we know when it was last updated but I don't see any.

Right now, the number of cases in Spain and Germany are more than Korea so it doesn't make sense to put Korea on 'high risk' and not the other two. France and USA are catching up to South Korea on the figure too.

Click below for latest.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Edited by EricTh

21 hours ago, ryanhull said:

I saw some reports stating ALL nationalities (im UK) must show a medical cert and an insurance cover for the virus,

What you are referring to is all nationalities (and citizens) arriving from the named high-risk countries, the UK is not on that list:-

"The government has announced that citizens of and those arriving from South Korea, Italy, Iran, as well as China and two of its territories Macau and Hong Kong, are to experience the kingdom’s most stringent screening.

Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-ngam announced that the government has stepped up its measures to screen all incoming passengers, while placing major emphasis on those arriving from the listed high-risk nations.

The new measure requires all nationalities arriving in the kingdom [from South Korea, Italy, Iran, as well as China and two of its territories Macau and Hong Kong] to show a medical certificate, issued no more than three days prior to their arrival, have purchased an insurance plan for COVID-19 and giving consent to allow authorities to install a monitoring application on their smart phone".

Edited by Just Weird