Do we really need a medical cert?

14 hours ago, ian carman said:

Pretty sure this only applies to the 18 high risk countries such as Italy and spain

the uk is not currently on that list so a medical certificate isn’t required 

if it was all the planes would be empty

Check here; Under 

Requirements for travellers from the ongoing local transmission areas:

Further:

Per the Royal Thai Government’s announcement yesterday (17 March, 2020)

On 3/18/2020 at 3:06 AM, ryanhull said:

hey, so your source doesnt state the UK 

'THAILAND - published 13.03.2020
1. Passengers arriving from China (People's Rep.), Hong Kong (SAR China), Iran, Italy, Korea (Rep.) or Macao (SAR China) must have a Health Certificate as well as Lab Test COVID-19 to prove they are free from Coronavirus (COVID-19). The Health Certificate and Lab Test COVID-19 must be valid for not more than 2 days prior to departure.
- This does not apply to airline crew.
2. Passengers arriving from China (People's Rep.), Hong Kong (SAR China), Iran, Italy, Korea (Rep.) or Macao (SAR China) must have a medical insurance with coverage of 100,000 USD.
- This does not apply to nationals of Thailand.
- This does not apply to airline crew.
3. Passengers and crew members must present a completed T.8 health questionnaire to Health Control Office upon arrival.
4. Crew members not based in Thailand arriving from China (People's Rep.), Hong Kong (SAR China), Iran, Italy, Korea (Rep.) or Macao (SAR China) will be quarantined at the hotel until next departure schedule.
5. Crew members based in Thailand arriving from China (People's Rep.), Hong Kong (SAR China), Iran, Italy, Korea (Rep.) or Macao (SAR China) will be quarantined at home until next departure schedule.
- This does not apply when they only transited through China (People's Rep.), Hong Kong (SAR China), Iran, Italy, Korea (Rep.) or Macao (SAR China).
6. Based on the travel advisory restriction issued by United Arab Emirates Government, nationals of United Arab Emirates are not allowed to travel to Thailand.
7. Nationals of Bulgaria, Bhutan, China (People's Rep.), Cyprus, Ethiopia, Fiji, Georgia, India, Kazakhstan, Malta, Mexico, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Romania, Saudi Arabia, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu and passengers with a Chinese Taipei (on the cover: Republic of China Taiwan) passport can no longer obtain a visa on arrival.
8. Nationals of Italy are no longer visa exempt.'

Yer another poster on this threads source: ALL Nationalities

which one is it? lol

What you're quoting is a week old, the requirements have changed some 14 times since then...

16 hours ago, scorecard said:

Yesterday and today I've spoken to 8 health and/or travel/health insurers. Every company has told me there is now an industry policy to not cover any claims connected to the Covid 19 virus. 

That refers to new policies.

Insurance policies are legally binding contracts.  Existing policies have to cover it unless there is an applicable exclusion.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, paulbrow said:

What you're quoting is a week old, the requirements have changed some 14 times since then...

The fact it's a week old is irrelevant - it is the current requirements regardless of what passes as journalism today.

It will change effective 21 March https://www.caat.or.th/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/CAAT-COVID-19-Practical-Guideline-18Mar20.pdf?fbclid=IwAR17xr-7IY65qguII3ra40src1Py_5RuiaqIuvYzirnYcSxfsuIpLkoT0bs

The Thai MoPH site not yet showing change.

TaT site does but days it is from MoPH -- go figure.

CAAT last time I checked just referenced MoPH site which as above so far unchanged.

Another poster said CAAT said change effective 21 March but gave no source. Would certainly make sense to have at least 24 hour notice otherwose people literally mid flight would get affected.

There is enough noise that I think they are going to apply the health cert & insurance requirement to USA abd many European countries but no indication they have done so already.

What is sure in my mimd is that regulations will refer to travel history not nationality as has been the case to date but frequently misreported in the press.

51 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

That refers to new policies.

Insurance policies are legally binding contracts.  Existing policies have to cover it unless there is an applicable exclusion.

Good information.

Three of the well known insurance companies I contacted sent me 'snips' of the front pages of their policy documents with a highly visible / highlighted panel in the centre of the page, with a big exclamation mark then:  Testing and treatment for Covid 19 virus is not covered in this policy. Meaning of course new policies.

OK so I work in the education system in UK, now its been announced it will close after Friday, if I will still get paid while its closed, I'm tempted to head to Thailand to ride this all out, still no official confirmation on UK citizens needing a health certificate? I'll book a ticket to go this weekend if possible 

15 minutes ago, Bonobojt said:

OK so I work in the education system in UK, now its been announced it will close after Friday, if I will still get paid while its closed, I'm tempted to head to Thailand to ride this all out, still no official confirmation on UK citizens needing a health certificate? I'll book a ticket to go this weekend if possible 

UK not allowed entry as of yesterday

As of midnight, Saturday night. Boatload of insurance too.

(1) Check passengers’ travel history within the last 14 days to see whether they
have traveled to any Disease Infected Zone or Ongoing Local Transmission Area.

(2) Check passengers’ health certificate certifying that the passengers pose no risk
of being infected by the Coronavirus Disease (COVID–19). The health certificate
must be issued no more than 72 hours prior to the date of travel.

(3) Check passengers’ insurance policy that shows minimum medical coverage in
Thailand of Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19), in the amount not less than
100,000 USD

https://www.caat.or.th/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/CAAT-COVID-19-Practical-Guideline-18Mar20.pdf

Edited by mtls2005
  • Sad 1

Hmmmm so I would need a letter from my insurance company plus a medical certificate for a test that is not avaialable to the general public without symptoms 

typically Thai really, nobodies going to be able to satisfy the requirement, why didn’t they just issue a simple ban

3 hours ago, MRToMRT said:

Hmmmm so I would need a letter from my insurance company plus a medical certificate for a test that is not avaialable to the general public without symptoms 

typically Thai really, nobodies going to be able to satisfy the requirement, why didn’t they just issue a simple ban

They did in their own way of course.

No tests, no certificates. It will take some time before tests will be available for everyone and I suppose it will take even more time before I can afford them.

If I pay 400€ for a test and 1000 € for a ticket it will sum up. It is quite funny that my wife (she is thai) does not need a health certificate. So even if I stay sick at home she will be able to enter the country.

Would it be an option to use another country for "quarantine transit", fly there, stay there for a few weeks and then go to Thailand?

On 3/18/2020 at 3:35 PM, Sheryl said:

For what it is worth i have verified with the Thai Embassy in Phnom Penh that no medical certificate needed entering Thailand from Cambodia regardless of passport nationality.

There are now reports that any passport nationality needs to have both a medical certificate and proof of COVID insurance in order to be able to enter Thailand, irrespective of the country of boarding.

This would mean that I (German passport, based in Thailand - never been to Germany for years, no COVID-insurance) can fly out of the country but may not return just some days later from a non desaster area classified country although I have not been exposed to any officially recognized risk. This sounds hard to believe. Fake news ?

From Sat if flying from uk to Thailand, both Thai/foreigners need a health certificate, this is on the Thai london embassy website, note this says Thais do not need it/but it seems they do, but there was a large queue at the embassy today.

Edited by howerde
edit

UK government's travel advice for Thailand:

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/thailand

Excerpts taken from above page on 19 March 2020 at 21:46 UTC:

COVID-19 Exceptional Travel Advisory Notice
As countries respond to the COVID-19 pandemic, including travel and border restrictions, the FCO advises British nationals against all but essential international travel. Any country or area may restrict travel without notice.

Effective from 21 March, Thailand will introduce additional screening measures for passengers flying to Thailand.

Before passengers check-in, airlines will be required to check whether they have recently travelled to the countries above. If a passenger has visited, or is flying from, one of those countries, then they will need to present a medical certificate signed by a medical professional confirming no evidence of the coronavirus infection in the previous 72 hours, and also present evidence of travel insurance of no less than US$100,000 which covers COVID-19. Failure to meet these requirements will mean passengers are not permitted to board their flight.

"the FCO advises British nationals against all but essential international travel" is diplopmatic jargon for "we won't come and get you out the country if you go on a non-essential trip abroad"

Many other countries now have the same or similar travel advice.

8 minutes ago, yang123 said:

Asked whether the new measure would effectively close Thai borders, Prayut responded with temper and said he did not imply it that way.

Note twatnutin is the only one  touching his  face............keep  praying for the miracle

Edited by Chazar

I entered thailand overland from Cambodia yesterday evening around 7 PM. Not asked to show anything. 

Of course if it comes into effect on the 21st there would not have been.

Still no update to the MoPH website.

I would not get caught up in Prayut's exact wording. He tends to be imprecise as do translators and the Thai language lends itself to vagueness and multiple interpretations. Need to wait for official announcement on MoPH site.

But it does seem likely  it is going to be hard if not impossible to enter Thailand from many, possibly all, countries. It is also starting to get hard for many people to return to their home countries.   Everyone should plan on staying put and if not now where you want to be, hurry up and get there.

9 hours ago, moogradod said:

There are now reports that any passport nationality needs to have both a medical certificate and proof of COVID insurance in order to be able to enter Thailand, irrespective of the country of boarding.

This would mean that I (German passport, based in Thailand - never been to Germany for years, no COVID-insurance) can fly out of the country but may not return just some days later from a non desaster area classified country although I have not been exposed to any officially recognized risk. This sounds hard to believe. Fake news ?

That report has already been rescinded 

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2020/03/19/govt-refutes-govts-order-requiring-travelers-to-present-virus-certificate/

I entered Thailand from Cambodia on a US passport overland last night and was not asked to show anything.

As far as I know what is stated on the MoPH website remains the case and will until it changes.

HOWEVER it seems from all the talk that govetnment is considering/debating expanded measures and those could go into effect at any time (which is why I rushed back). I definitely would not plan a trip at this time if I were you.

4 minutes ago

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/pm-says-all-air-passengers-must-show-health-certificates-insurance

How to close your borders when you’re not actually closing your borders. The Thai PM has made travelling to Thailand difficult, if not impossible, for many in his latest ‘clarification’.

In an apparent contradiction of the a notice posted by Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand (CAAT) yesterday, PM Prayut Chan-o-cha announced that all air travellers, both Thai and foreign, must now present a health certificate proving they free of the Covid-19 coronavirus, and proof of insurance covering any local treatment for the virus, before being allowed to check in for a flight or journey to Thailand.

1 hour ago, yang123 said:

31 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Sheryl.... FYI.....  If you look at the time stamp on both news items you will see that the one which 'refutes' the CAAT travel requirements was published at 1:52 pm yesterday.  The reported announcement by the PM that the CAAT travel requirements applies to all inbound travellers was published at 4:32pm yesterday.

Once again 'flip Flop' government, left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing and booze up in brewery all come to mind.

7 minutes ago, PST said:

Where in Thailand would you go to get the health certificate?

Local GP?

Or, where are you going to get medical insurance which covers Covid-19 up to US$ 100,000.... especially if you are in one of the neighbouring countries doing a boarder run ??????