TAT: Forecast for 2020 is 30 million tourists - down 24% on last year

webfact

2 hours ago, Brickbat said:

Sex is the national sport and Lying is the national pastime

Careful friend... Someone'll be after you - if it suits them and if they don't like your comment, or if they don't like you, even though the comment may be demonstrably true.

The most important call from a Thai Government minister is: "This is Somchai from the Prime Minister's office. We don't like what some of your members are saying, so please fix it. If not, the police may decide to check work permits. Get it? Got it? Good."

Edited by ParkerN
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, webfact said:

TAT: Forecast for 2020 is 30 million tourists - down 24% on last year

Down 24% and keep going.... end of year I can foresee 90% down.. only 10% taking a chance on international travel.

Peeing statue.jpg

22 minutes ago, ParkerN said:

Careful friend... Someone'll be after you - if it suits them and if they don't like your comment, or if they don't like you, even though the comment may be demonstrably true.

The most important call from a Thai Government minister is: "This is Somchai from the Prime Minister's office. We don't like what some of your members are saying, so please fix it. If not, the police may decide to check work permits. Get it? Got it? Good."

He's almost quoting what the British Ambassador wrote when leaving Bangkok in the 60's, then you could speak your mind still

and no later then yesterday I commented on them having been quiet, no fake estimates..... my fault, they must have heard me 555

Mavideol

• Platinum Member
  •  
  • Mavideol
  • Advanced Members
  • 4,080 posts
On 3/17/2020 at 3:05 PM, webfact said:

Airports of Thailand (AOT) and Suvarnabhumi Airport announced that 726 flights arrived at and departed from Suvarnabhumi Airport on March 15, down 33 percent year-on-year. The airport welcomed 79,899 passengers, down 60.2 percent year-on-year.

wonder what TAT has to say about their estimates... they have been (very) quiet lately

many days the wife runs in the mornings around Pattaya ,and the surrounding countryside. ,training for her Marathons,some days she grabs me at 6 am and makes me go for a walk ,she did this morning and we went to walk behind the Chicken farm on Sukhumvit and along the walkway north ,(great sea views) well we passed Cholchan hotel ,usually in the morning there are lots of tourists in the pool and walking as well ,this morning ,not 1 ,no not 1 only other Thai walkers , 

the guard said they were almost empty. its a big place ,so i wonder how soon before they are back.?

58 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

many days the wife runs in the mornings around Pattaya ,and the surrounding countryside.

Yes, I see many of the locals out there running and getting fit with no regard to the extreme 2.5 PM air pollution. Amazing Thailand. ???? 

8 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Come for 2 weeks holiday and spend it in a hotel room,

should prove very popular,maybe TAT can put a spin on it.

regards Worgeordie

Depends what or whom is in the room with you? Possibly

It's better fot TAT to shut up and stop express their stupid forecast numbers of visitors.  At first the corona situation will stay much longer, maybe couple of month. And do they really think after this virus stressed people around the world make them planning to go on holidays to Thailand. Many will suffer from unemployment and loss of money. Same situation for thais. So get ready of a worst case scenario in this country!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Come for 2 weeks holiday and spend it in a hotel room,

should prove very popular,maybe TAT can put a spin on it.

regards Worgeordie

Mirrors on the ceiling
The pink champagne on ice
And she said, 'we are all just prisoners here, of our own device
And in the master's chambers
They gathered for the feast
They stab it with their steely knives
But they just can't kill the beast

Last thing I remember, I was
Running for the door
I had to find the passage back to the place I was before
'Relax' said the night man
'We are programmed to receive
You can check out any time you like
But you can never leave!

Welcome to the Hotel Thailand

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

Nobody really knows. Western countries are predicting it will be August before they could get it under control and then suffer a severe recession. The only hope is Indians and Chinese and if India's current control measure works, they may start trickling from September.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Mulambana said:

Nobody really knows. Western countries are predicting it will be August before they could get it under control and then suffer a severe recession. The only hope is Indians and Chinese and if India's current control measure works, they may start trickling from September.

Wicked...a country full of Indian and Chinese tourists, well I'm psyched, I don't know about anyone else.

1 hour ago, Venom said:

Yes, I see many of the locals out there running and getting fit with no regard to the extreme 2.5 PM air pollution. Amazing Thailand. ???? 

so what are you doing there,sweeping up the leaves? or getting fit,amazing Thailand

TAT, your having a Laugh, think you got the figures wrong way round, you mean only 10,000 visitors in 2020 which = 24%  compared to last year, and I think that might be over optimistic, also you have been stiring into that cristal ball to long to think thing will start to improve by August.... Ho sorry, you didn't say which Year... ????

Of course lets all hope it isn't the worst case scenario. But if it is many governments are saying 6 - 12 months of lock downs, meaning many large and most small businesses dead and all those jobs gone. Without bailouts airlines, hotels and most tourist businesses will bankrupt. When its over doubtful many will planning holidays to Thailand or anywhere else. I expect the Thai economy like most countries will be completely decimated.

We all demanded that government step in and protect us, perhaps though many didn't understand what that actually means...

• Like 1

The tourist boom of the last 60 years is over for Thailand for the foreseeable future.

Even if (at the best case outlook) this virus thing drags on until late this year, it doesn't account for the economic damage done globally, nor the recovery time.

The last thing on anyone's mind will be travelling to the Far East for any kind of holiday.

A: They won't be able to afford it
B: The Far East (including Thailand) will no longer seem like an attractive option.

There's nothing better than extended periods of quarantine, to completely change and alter people's thinking. 

Their preferences change, especially in the wake of something like a pandemic.

People will probably naturally opt into re-exploring local habitats, and if anything, will be more eager to support the restoration and recovery of their own country/culture rather than buggering off to an overseas destination close to the origin of the trouble.

The glory days of heady tourism is OVER for Thailand.

Things are very likely to get quite messy and difficult here, very quickly and very soon.

• Like 2