Ambulance driver's message to motorcyclist: How do you feel now that she died?

webfact

26 minutes ago, essox essox said:
28 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

HAVE you SEEN a video that SHOWS that the AMB was ABLE to overtake on the INSIDE and was NOT BLOCKED???

THERE was not much room on the right according to the photo I see

I didn't mention overtaking on the right.

I was referring to your suggesting that the ambulance should have overtaken on the left and asking if you'd seen a video showing that it's overtaking the bike on the left was possible, i.e. it wasn't being blocked by the bike. 

• Sad 1

39 minutes ago, Susco said:

TO UNDERTAKE !!! which, by the way IS NOT AN ILLEGAL ACT .... in Thai traffic laws

It's called overtaking on the left and is illegal in Thailand except under certain circumstances...

" Land Traffic Act B.E. 2522, Section 45 (400-1000B)
No driver shall overtake another vehicle from the left-side unless:
a. the vehicle to be overtaken is making a right turn or has given a signal that he is going to make a right turn
b. the roadway is arranged with two or more traffic lanes in the same direction".

But it's irrelevant in the context of this thread.

Edit:  the quote from you above is what you stated originally, which is incorrect. You've now amended your original assertion to include the exceptions to the law that makes overtaking on the left illegal.

Edited by Just Weird
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Aachen said:
1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

While this act of blocking an ambulance is despicable there are a few take away points from this article: 

- The road looks clear - the Ambulance could have simply ‘undertaken’ the motorcycle (if the photo in the article is taken from a dash-cam of the actual event).

- It seems the patient was in critical condition, would a couple of minutes made any difference? if so, why didn’t the ambulance driver ‘undertake’ the motorcyclist instead of remaining behind him and later protesting?

O yeah. You have seen everything and know what should have been done. Excellent.

In an emergency situation would someone as critically astute as yourself continue to sit behind the motorcycle or passed the motorcycle in any of the other two lanes of the empty 3 lane road ?????

Just something to think about before making a plonka of yourself without even so much as a relevant comment to the topic.

• Like 1

MANY Thaippl saying these Ambulances using their lights only for showing off... and i really have PROOF for this  in Phuket where an Ambulance arrived with full lights and sound before on a gasoline station, just to let one of the girls out, for she can walk SLOWLY to the toilet and after to a 7Eleven... I made some pictures but will not post  them here.
:
I would just have run him over or push him from the road and i am a biker!

27 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

It's called overtaking on the left and is illegal in Thailand except under certain circumstances...

" Land Traffic Act B.E. 2522, Section 45 (400-1000B)
No driver shall overtake another vehicle from the left-side unless:
a. the vehicle to be overtaken is making a right turn or has given a signal that he is going to make a right turn
b. the roadway is arranged with two or more traffic lanes in the same direction".

But it's irrelevant in the context of this thread.

Edit:  the quote from you above is what you stated originally, which is incorrect. You've now amended your original assertion to include the exceptions to the law that makes overtaking on the left illegal.

Really did I edit my post? Then why it doesn't show an edit?

You are not only weird but an ignoramus as well, because it is called UNDERTAKING everywhere in the world including in Thai traffic laws, but your ego get again the better of your self.

EDIT for the weird among us.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overtaking

Overtaking on the inside

Overtaking on the inside or undertaking[17][18][19] refers to the practice of overtaking a slower vehicle on a road using the lane that is curb side of the vehicle being passed; that is to say, a lane to the left of the vehicle in countries where driving is on the left, or a lane to the right of the vehicle in countries where driving is on the right. The practice of passing on the inside, therefore, usually only occurs on a motorway or other road where there is more than one lane in the same direction or when the width of the roads makes this possible (although there may be exceptions in the cases of contraflow bus lanes).

Many countries consider overtaking on the inside dangerous and therefore designate it a driving offence, however, most countries make the distinction between involuntary undertaking (passing centre side vehicles in heavy traffic) as opposed to the deliberate attempt to pass a slower moving vehicle for one's own benefit.

Edited by Susco

1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

HAVE you SEEN a video that SHOWS that the AMB was ABLE to overtake on the INSIDE and was NOT BLOCKED???

No... But look at the space on the open 3 lane highway (photo from the Op re-posted below).

It looks as though the photo is taken from a dash-cam, so I guess a video is out there somewhere. If it is the case that the Ambulance tried to undertake (overtake on the left (semantics)) then the tool riding the motorcycle really needs to end up in jail. 

With regards to the legality of undertaking - Emergency vehicles may be exempt. Besides, in an emergency who cares about the law. Those arguing the legality of undertaking, or the semantics of the phrase undertaking vs overtaking on the left are just being particularly obtuse and missing the point. 

A few years back my Wife was unwell... I bundled her in the car and drove to Samitivej, it was 9am, busy gridlock traffic.

Hazard lights on, I didn’t care for regulations, I forced my way through busy red light junctions and any gap that I could to get through the traffic.. any regard for the law went out of the window. 

The same happened more recently, Father In Law collapsed in a restaurant (I thought stroke), we were 500m from Samitivej hospital (again), I bundled him in the car and got him to the emergency room as quickly as we could, no need for seatbelts etc (which some would argue, is illegal !!!).

The point being, that in an emergency you do whatever you can wherever you can regardless of the law so long as you are not placing yourself or innocent others in physical danger. 

I’m not sure the ambulance driver did this in this case. 

Screenshot 2020-03-18 at 10.11.17.png

Edited by richard_smith237

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

No... But look at the space on the open 3 lane highway.

It looks as though the photo is taken from a dash-cam, so I guess a video is out there somewhere. If it is the case that the Ambulance tried to undertake (overtake on the left (semantics)) then the tool riding the motorcycle really needs to end up in jail. 

With regards to the legality of undertaking - Emergency vehicles may be exempt. Besides, in an emergency who cares about the law. Those arguing the legality of undertaking, or the semantics of the phrase undertaking vs overtaking on the left are just being particularly obtuse and missing the point.

You need to read the responses that I made again (and the comments that I addressed those responses to), in the context that I made them because you are clearly missing my points!

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

- The road looks clear - the Ambulance could have simply ‘undertaken’ the motorcycle (if the photo in the article is taken from a dash-cam of the actual event).

- It seems the patient was in critical condition, would a couple of minutes made any difference? if so, why didn’t the ambulance driver ‘undertake’ the motorcyclist instead of remaining behind him and later protesting?

As you write, if the photo comes from the video taken by the ambulance's camera, I don't see why the driver couldn't pass it.
I would add that ambulance drivers of the SMUR/SAMU type bringing a wounded or very seriously ill patient to the hospital
- NEVER use their horn,
- avoid sudden accelerations and braking at all costs
because these actions generally have a harmful effect on the patient or the wounded.

I forgot that we are in Thailand, a country where becoming a truck  or coach driver only requires 3 days;
I assume that to become an ambulance driver the training has to be even shorter. ( if there is one )

Edited by Assurancetourix
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

While this act of blocking an ambulance is despicable there are a few take away points from this article: 

Giving way to ambulances is something which needs greater attention in Thailand, but in this case I suspect the ambulance driver was making a point when he could have undertaken and perhaps made a difference instead. 

And yes, get the motorcyclists numberplate, locate him and hang him high...  

Are you a politician who sits on the fence and can't make a decision?

6 hours ago, webfact said:

For two kilometers along the Friendship highway heading to downtown Nong Khai the motorcyclist had blocked the way of the ambulance. 

Size matters, should have driven right up his ar*e and made him move over, or slipped to one side... he wouldn't challenge that.

11 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

Get his license number, arrest & charge wit driving resulting in death, crush his bike, 50,000 baht fine, suspend license to drive anything for life, and 6 months in prison, 

Wake up your little nap is over

• Haha 1

Why did the ambulance stay behind him, pass on the left and move across and take him out, telling him to wait for the next one.

You are talking about this self self look at me attitude we all see it all day long, with your car camera in perfect working order sit a couple on there <deleted> when they sneak up on the left as you are carrying out your indicated left turn, they have to learn the hard way .

i should have used the word bottoms, not <deleted>

Edited by Almer
Bad grammar

12 hours ago, essox essox said:

the AMB driver had plenty of room TO UNDERTAKE !!! which, by the way IS AN ILLEGAL ACT ....

But as this was an emergency then he SHOULD HAVE UNDERTAKEN...... jst as should any emergency vehicle....POLICE and FIRE ENGINES INCLUDED

Nothing illegal about overtaking in the left hand lane.

What I find disconcerting is emergency vehicles using their emergency lights all the time. Only turning on the <deleted> poor siren in an emergency. In this day and age of air conditioned cars with good sound systems they are pretty well impossible to hear. The same occurs when you in front of them on a bike. Change the practice to ONLY use lights and siren when there is a genuine emergency. then there is no excuse...if you cant hear them you can see them in your mirrors.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Scott Tracy said:

In the UK, when the use of 2 tone horns was still prevalent, it was proven that at 50 mph, the siren could not heard in a car in front travelling the same speed.

These (Thai) ambulances are not equipped with sirens of sufficient power and volume to be heard on a bike, with no helmet on, travelling at more than 50kph. They are not big enough to make a visual impact, as US and UK ambulances are. Nor is their paint scheme remarkable. In UK ambulances were white, then became Battenburg green and yellow and were always bigger than the standard minivan. 2 tone horns were replaced with now standard wail and yelp sirens, with active siren management.

An ambulance next to you, with no music in your car, could scare the bejesus out of you if it hit it's siren. 

So in effect, you are saying that the speed of sound has been verified, beyond the shadow of doubt, to travel less than 50 MPH?

????

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, smedly said:

when his 125cc is blowing through a straight pipe and deafening everyone including himself ............. he can't hear anything 

Maybe not but that is no excuse as he does have a couple of mirrors to see what is behind him, if he ever uses them.

'nuf sed.

15 hours ago, rtco said:
19 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Giving way to ambulances is something which needs greater attention in Thailand, but in this case I suspect the ambulance driver was making a point when he could have undertaken and perhaps made a difference instead. 

And yes, get the motorcyclists numberplate, locate him and hang him high...  

Are you a politician who sits on the fence and can't make a decision?

Care to explain?... 

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Care to explain?... 

"I suspect the ambulance driver was making a point when he could have undertaken and perhaps made a difference instead" and then "And yes, get the motorcyclists numberplate, locate him and hang him high" ... so blame both parties which is sitting on the fence ... who was in the wrong? Undertaking is illegal even for an ambulance. The little 5h1T on the m'bike knew the ambulance was behind and should have moved. IMHO the m'bike rider was 100% at fault ... that's not sitting on the fence!