Ambulance driver's message to motorcyclist: How do you feel now that she died?

webfact

22 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

Get his license number, arrest & charge wit driving resulting in death, crush his bike, 50,000 baht fine, suspend license to drive anything for life, and 6 months in prison, 

And then get tough on him

On 3/18/2020 at 11:07 AM, Isaanbiker said:

Do you really believe that this Psychopath has got a license? 

Do you think having or not having makes a difference? It's a permit to drive not an assurance of driving well. 

Was there anything on here about ambulance drivers not using lights and sirens on their way to lunch?  Is there an equivalent saying in Thai about crying wolf? 

Ambulance driver's job is to get there as safely and quickly as possible. As has been said why didn't he simply undertake (oops sorry bad choice of word) pass on the left. It is after all legal in Thailand. 

Everywhere else in the world emergency vehicle drivers drive like Thai motorcyclists. Wrong side against traffic, through red lights (slowly), etc. But now it seems when in an ambulance Thai ex motorcyclists become exemplary.   

Edited by VocalNeal

On 3/19/2020 at 6:13 AM, rtco said:
On 3/19/2020 at 3:27 AM, richard_smith237 said:

Care to explain?... 

"I suspect the ambulance driver was making a point when he could have undertaken and perhaps made a difference instead" and then "And yes, get the motorcyclists numberplate, locate him and hang him high" ... so blame both parties which is sitting on the fence ... who was in the wrong? Undertaking is illegal even for an ambulance. The little 5h1T on the m'bike knew the ambulance was behind and should have moved. IMHO the m'bike rider was 100% at fault ... that's not sitting on the fence! 

Ok...  So in your view only one of the parties could do anything about this situation?

It's possible the Van driver ‘could’ have taken action and passed the Motorcycle on the inside.

The motorcycle rider needs to be strung up. 

You think in an emergency the ambulance should have stayed behind the motorcycle because (you think) its illegal?

BTW: Thai Land traffic Act: Section 45 (Paraphrase): You can pass on the left of a vehicle if on a road with two or more lanes in the same direction. That said, legality is a moot point, it was an emergency.

Now, even it it were illegal, when using a siren and flashing blue lights Emergency vehicles are granted certain exceptions to the law (such as passing red lights, under-taking etc). But again, in an emergency situation who really cares about a law (which if broken presents no endangerment to someone else) - Arguing such just outs some as being sanctimonious and well, just plain wrong and unknowledgeable. 

Yes, the little s#!te on the motorcycle should have moved, should have, but this is the real world he didn’t, so the Ambulance drive can take alternative action - that’s not sitting on the fence, its recognising the real world. 

Edited by richard_smith237

On 3/18/2020 at 1:20 PM, richard_smith237 said:

No... But look at the space on the open 3 lane highway (photo from the Op re-posted below).

It looks as though the photo is taken from a dash-cam, so I guess a video is out there somewhere. If it is the case that the Ambulance tried to undertake (overtake on the left (semantics)) then the tool riding the motorcycle really needs to end up in jail. 

With regards to the legality of undertaking - Emergency vehicles may be exempt. Besides, in an emergency who cares about the law. Those arguing the legality of undertaking, or the semantics of the phrase undertaking vs overtaking on the left are just being particularly obtuse and missing the point. 

A few years back my Wife was unwell... I bundled her in the car and drove to Samitivej, it was 9am, busy gridlock traffic.

Hazard lights on, I didn’t care for regulations, I forced my way through busy red light junctions and any gap that I could to get through the traffic.. any regard for the law went out of the window. 

The same happened more recently, Father In Law collapsed in a restaurant (I thought stroke), we were 500m from Samitivej hospital (again), I bundled him in the car and got him to the emergency room as quickly as we could, no need for seatbelts etc (which some would argue, is illegal !!!).

The point being, that in an emergency you do whatever you can wherever you can regardless of the law so long as you are not placing yourself or innocent others in physical danger. 

I’m not sure the ambulance driver did this in this case. 

Screenshot 2020-03-18 at 10.11.17.png

How do you know 'the tool' was n't weaving all over the road preventing the ambulance to pass?

On 3/18/2020 at 11:29 AM, CGW said:

Good points, Ambulances are a relatively new addition to the roads in Thailand, will take a long time for folks here to get used to them.

Its disturbing that if you post something on social media that the masses don't agree with you are attacked! by the "lock em up" brigade who consider this totally unrealistic response appropriate. ???? 

Education education, i can remember about 2 months ago the hi so lady in Bangkok telling the press after she was chastised for not getting out of the way of an Ambulance that" she didn't know what to do"  but she didn't report to the Police  stn when invited, she sent somebody else.

Ambulance drivers need a thorough driving test, defensive, progressive is the best way to attack a traffic Jam  

Edited by Almer
Spelling
  • Confused 1