Antiviral drug on the way from China

snoop1130

12 hours ago, Arkady said:

In the government's Emergency Operations Department best case scenario 400,000 people will be infected. So with

200,000 tablets of Favipiravir they will get half a tab each.

I don't think that every infected person needs to take the medicine.  As I recall most people don't get serious symptoms.  This is probably just for the more severe cases. 

What kind of pills should that be? Virologists around the western world work on vaccines and it will at least take 1 year, maybe a bit faster as they work together worldwide. But pills from China a good for what: showbusiness of that rotten government?! Can't be more than that. I am on the way to sent thais government decession to the ones in Europe working on that!

12 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Anutin's strong point is obviously not mathematics. We have a pandemic and this is the best man they could find for the job?

Thailand could borrow Mike Pence for awhile. Out of the frypan into the fire ....

There is still a lot of research being done on T-705 and I don't think its side effects are yet fully understood. This also true of other related medicines (pyra-carboxamide derivatives) according to one (microbiological) journal that I read. The lethal mutagenesis of this group of drugs is still under study but It seems to me that research groups are saying 'yes it does do this and that but...'

My point in this comment is that I doubt that Anutin has the background to appreciate all of this and in these pandemic times I sure hope he has very capable advisers. Given his past comment history I'm inclined to doubt it.

12 hours ago, steven100 said:

am i missing something here .... there is currently NO vaccine for COVID-19. 

Favipiravir will be useless  .... ?   

There are vaccines, the UK and Germany are well along that path but there have been no human trials, China is just starting human trials with their own vaccine, Thailand could be a trial land. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Admiral Hornblower said:

With a "government" estimate of (eventually) 400,000 virus patients, that ain't a lot of pills!

80% of those cases will be mild to no symptoms and won't require treatment so only 80,000 would require the pills. A little better at least.

12 hours ago, steven100 said:

am i missing something here .... there is currently NO vaccine for COVID-19. 

Favipiravir will be useless  .... ?   

No you are correct this is a medication to relieve the symptoms but its not been tested fully yet .how can you trust these people when they started it? Thailand will become a testing ground for the Chinese. And the government will allow if.i trust the uk use and europe to come up with a medication not a vaccine to suppress this virus like the flu. 

11 hours ago, EricTh said:

I read that Thailand has some antiviral drugs which treated some Covid patients many weeks back and it cured them. 

I vaguely remember that it was related to Favipxx.

As for the other comments in this thread, a patient don't take only one tablet, most probably they take a course like 14 days until all the virus are inactivated in the body.

And of course you beleive this????

13 hours ago, Admiral Hornblower said:

With a "government" estimate of (eventually) 400,000 virus patients, that ain't a lot of pills!

Maybe Thai land should invest in some pill cutters too then.

(BTW I have one).

13 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Anutin's strong point is obviously not mathematics. We have a pandemic and this is the best man they could find for the job?

Does he have any strong points points apart from being a Xenophobic racist ?

5 minutes ago, Henryford said:

They have been searching for a vaccine for the cold and flu virus for 100 years, in vain. Think they can just "cure" Corona?

There is a difference between treatment/ cure and vaccine.

13 hours ago, Admiral Hornblower said:

That is 400,000 patients over the course of the outbreak. They all won’t be infected in one day! It is enough for the initial wave of patients. If they deem it effect, they can order more. Maybe something better will come along. Or maybe it won’t even be effective if the virus mutated. Nobody knows for sure.

9 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Because it is cheaper to mass produce in China.

It is not only Europeans and the USA who have (far too much) relocated to China.
the Japanese too, so much so that more than 80% of the world production of drugs is made in mainland China.

11 minutes ago, Miami007 said:

There is a difference between treatment/ cure and vaccine.

Yes, vaccine doesn't cure.

It is just introducing the dead virus into your system so that your immune system might recognize it in the future but it's not foolproof if your immune system is weak.