Thailand to tighten entry rules for all nationalities in virus fight

snoop1130

1 hour ago, WalkingOrders said:

Good God! The killing fields? I am in Bangkok, I've been out and about somewhere everyday. No Thai man or woman has treated me with anything other then the usual kindness, I saw no madness, no angry police, no frantic shoppers raping the shelves, no lines out the hospitals I passed, and the trains are still running. Thailand is handling this quite well in my opinion. The killing fields?! Really? This feels to you like an insane communist takeover and push of the entire population into fields to work until dead? That's what this polite calm country filled with gracious people feels like to you?

It is fine right now. Absolutely. 'Right now'. I used the example merely to point out that once a choice is made to stay or return here, one is at the mercy of however it unfolds in the event things do go pear shaped while in another country as a foreigner. Correct? One of my posts the other day also related how this year I have found Thais really polite and helpfull compared to some staggering rudeness encountered very occasionally in earlier years. It is still peace time, and everyone still has cool hearts.

So I'm not speaking from how things are right now, because everything is fine and lovely while that bubble persists. I just have no example to research how Thais and Thai authorities would be in the event of a serious prolonged economic breakdown, combined with a domestic shutdown. Do you?

In the absence of that, hanging around too long while options are whittling down by the day, is s gamble. All I know better is the psychology and various moods of my own people, so have chosen to be in a land I know very well, amongst my own language, with some semblance of duty of  care towards me by my Government, and not as a foreigner far from home. 

It feels like a warm bubble here right now compared to what we see on the news about elsewhere. I hope that continues, but personally I chose to leave while I still can. 

• Sad 1

Bickering posts have been removed. I would politely ask the two members concerned to refrain from further such posts.

Also an inflammatory troll post has been removed.

A post that misattributed a quote to the wrong poster and a reply to it have been removed.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, EricTh said:

Most people will certainly be put off by the health cert and insurance. It is a covid-19 cert and not any medical cert.

That means if we go out of Thailand, it's going to be difficult to get in again.

Except Thai nationals who need a "fit to fly" cert.

1 minute ago, Hugh Jarse said:

Except Thai nationals who need a "fit to fly" cert.

Fit to fly cert can be obtained from general doctors so it is much easier to get than Covid cert or insurance.

They just do a general health check that doesn't require Covid virus test.

Edited by EricTh

37 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

That's pretty funny! Only a week ago, a Hong Kong citizen on holiday had infected many other Thais by smoking and drinking together accompanied by some female"freelancers."

Can you provide a link to that incident?

Today from the U.S. State Dept:

Travel Advisory: Global Level 4 Health Advisory – Do Not Travel

The Department of State advises U.S. citizens to avoid all international travel due to the global impact of COVID-19.  In countries where commercial departure options remain available, U.S. citizens who live in the United States should arrange for immediate return to the United States, unless they are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period.  U.S. citizens who live abroad should avoid all international travel.  Many countries are experiencing COVID-19 outbreaks and implementing travel restrictions and mandatory quarantines, closing borders, and prohibiting non-citizens from entry with little advance notice.  Airlines have cancelled many international flights and several cruise operators have suspended operations or cancelled trips.  If you choose to travel internationally, your travel plans may be severely disrupted, and you may be forced to remain outside of the United States for an indefinite timeframe.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, raccos21 said:

They even ignored their own people and the AoT app that they publicized still can’t be used.

By right, there should be several categories of people entering the country like during the past few months.

Serious- more than 8,000 cases

Moderate- more than 500 cases

Mild - less than 500 cases

To put a blanket ban on everyone with drastic insurance and health cert shows lack of insight.

Thai citizens should be treated the same way as those workers from South Korea a month ago i.e. no health cert but self quarantine for 14 days

Edited by EricTh

5 minutes ago, EricTh said:

By right, there should be several categories of people entering the country like during the past few months.

Serious- more than 8,000 cases

Moderate- more than 500 cases

Mild - less than 500 cases

To put a blanket ban on everyone with drastic insurance and health cert shows lack of insight.

Thai citizens should be treated the same way as those workers from South Korea a month ago i.e. no health cert but self quarantine for 14 days

The problem with this is some are suppressing the number of cases on purpose. 

The policy will most likely be scrapped in the coming days, and replaced with something else. There is already refutes from the government about it, and there has been several flip-flops on other COVID-19 related policies in the past few weeks. 

Worst case scenario is that it's in place for 21-30 days, but there isn't a chance in hell this will become a long-term thing once they realise that tourist numbers have been decimated as a result. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Richard Barrow did a report on his arrival at BKK from UK.

He had photos of NO ONE in the immigration lines. 

He said it took one minute to get through immigration.

I am on another forum working overtime to discourage these selfish tourists who travel unnecessarily and prolong the pandemic until the world economy collapses. They should be shot. 

No one is coming thank god.

relax, covid-19 is just a bad flu:

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/17/a-fiasco-in-the-making-as-the-coronavirus-pandemic-takes-hold-we-are-making-decisions-without-reliable-data/

Edited by pkspeaker
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Lissos said:

It is fine right now. Absolutely. 'Right now'. I used the example merely to point out that once a choice is made to stay or return here, one is at the mercy of however it unfolds in the event things do go pear shaped while in another country as a foreigner. Correct? One of my posts the other day also related how this year I have found Thais really polite and helpfull compared to some staggering rudeness encountered very occasionally in earlier years. It is still peace time, and everyone still has cool hearts.

So I'm not speaking from how things are right now, because everything is fine and lovely while that bubble persists. I just have no example to research how Thais and Thai authorities would be in the event of a serious prolonged economic breakdown, combined with a domestic shutdown. Do you?

In the absence of that, hanging around too long while options are whittling down by the day, is s gamble. All I know better is the psychology and various moods of my own people, so have chosen to be in a land I know very well, amongst my own language, with some semblance of duty of  care towards me by my Government, and not as a foreigner far from home. 

It feels like a warm bubble here right now compared to what we see on the news about elsewhere. I hope that continues, but personally I chose to leave while I still can. 

I think you made the right choice. For you.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, CharlieH said:

"There is no health insurance anywhere in the world that would specifically cover COVID-19 infections;"

Not strictly true, I was offered just that today by Kasikorn Bank, and Bangkok Bank have also been offering Virus insurance.

Would that insurance be available to people over 70?

18 minutes ago, belfast3 said:

The policy will most likely be scrapped in the coming days, and replaced with something else. There is already refutes from the government about it, and there has been several flip-flops on other COVID-19 related policies in the past few weeks. 

Worst case scenario is that it's in place for 21-30 days, but there isn't a chance in hell this will become a long-term thing once they realise that tourist numbers have been decimated as a result. 

I am quite sure the Thai Government knows exactly that the tourist numbers have been driven to zero. Obviously. No one is flying.

Also sure they have already estimated roughly the hit to their economy in terms of loss over time as best as possible not knowing when exactly this ends, but sure they have several time estimates.

Harder to factor is how exports may be hit short and longterm, and other costs associated with the global economic slowdown. Things like sales of capital goods inside Thailand, automotive manufacturing etc.  Unemployment. The percent of the Thai economy that comes from tourism is a known. Where those tourists come from also known. 

Hard to factor also is potential loss of life, or how many become inapacitated. I think Thailand is doing the best it can. All decisions being made all over the world are being second guessed by people who don't know squat.

5 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Would that insurance be available to people over 70?

yes.. its payouts are low, but the thai policies I have seen cover 0 - 99. 

https://www.frank.co.th/en/corona-virus-insurance

Thats just one of many.. SCB has one, I have been sent a couple of others in only Thai language.. All of them fairly similar. 

• Thanks 1

"No evidence of Coronavirus disease". But no mention of blood test.

Suppose a physician issues a certificate that states "There is no evidence that XX has a Corona virus infection".  Based on symptoms and physical exam only? Wouldn't that be sufficient?

corona-faq-thai-200363-03.jpg

1 hour ago, zydeco said:

What difference will insurance make if the hospitals are full, the ICU overwhelmed, medicine in short supply, and doctors and nurses becoming infected and unable to work?

Those with money or insurance go to the front of the line all others wait ????

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Fred white said:

Those with money or insurance go to the front of the line all others wait ????

The problem is that the line makes no difference. You get sick. You walk into the hospital and show them your insurance card and they say, "full up."  Now, what are you going to do? I can just see the response of Thai news channels, "Farang with Insurance Demands Hospital Kick Out Thai Patients to Make Room for Him."

Edited by zydeco
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

I'm hoping the requirement for insurance is temporary. If it is permanently in place, when I leave Thailand in August ( assuming normal flights are restored by then ), it will be for the last time.

I will also leave behind my Thai family, who will be devastated. Nothing I or they can do. Collateral damage.

• Sad 1

40 minutes ago, pkspeaker said:

And most of us will probably get it at some point, over the next year...probably....

e.g.  See times 1:36, 4:22, 10:03, 13:47, 14:22 & 15:00. (I hope the science will continue to prevail in Scotland...not the "others" ???? )

Edited by UKresonant

12 minutes ago, zydeco said:

The problem is that the line makes no difference. You get sick. You walk into the hospital and show them your insurance card and they say, "full up."  Now, what are you going to do? I can just the response of Thai news channels, "Farang with Insurance Demands Hospital Kick Out Thai Patients to Make Room for Him."

My comment was more of a joke but look at it this way your in line payute or one of these other high ranked baffoons comes in says he has Covid19 you don't think they won't kick you out to make room for them 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fred white said:

My comment was more of a joke but look at it this way your in line payute or one of these other high ranked baffoons comes in says he has Covid19 you don't think they won't kick you out to make room for them 

My guess is if this does start to overwhelm the system, the hisos and upper middle class Thais (with insurance) who have not bugged out to some exclusive hospital retreat somewhere to get treatment, those Thais will already be taking all the beds. I don't think they need kick us out for the government bigshots and the like, however, because I imagine they already have beds and rooms empty and reserved for them just in case. Might be bad PR for Thailand, but I would hate to be a farang in a hospital during an emergency here. You could get dumped on the street or have your plug pulled.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, smedly said:

do you know what the test tests for ..................................... antibodies 

Nobody has said you will be immune - your body will be geared up to fight it and the illness will be less severe or you won't even notice it

stop this nonsense now - go do some research before posting any more of this (deleted)

Relevant article:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/16/the-big-question-over-coronavirus-can-a-person-get-it-twice