Pattaya: Dozens of foreigners flouting virus regulations getting drunk in a bar - owners arrested

snoop1130

2 hours ago, doctorbailey said:

Busy popular venue on Soi Bua Khao that was somewhat recently renovated. It is a restaurant serving breakfast, lunch, dinner, coffee, and of course beer. Is it a restaurant serving alcohol or a bar serving food? In the evening it has a pub atmosphere with a live band. No band 18th or 19th and their gear was covered. I think they have honored the government wish as no entertainment was provided and they were operating as a restaurant. Don't know their alcohol to non-alcohol sales ratio. Obviously a grey area. This will settle out in court more fairly but with expense. This is a case of jealousy and opportunity. People in Pattaya live in hotels or small apartments and many have no kitchens or no real means to prepare meals. Many will not catch coronavirus, be asymptomatic, or die of many other ailments afflicting them. People still need to go to restaurants to EAT. Many European descended people consume alcohol with meals, during leisure time, or during times of stress or celebration. Most of the "foreign customers" are meters away from others and in an outside environment. Probably as ideal as possible given the situation. The beach also had a renaissance of sorts as a venue of second choice and a pleasant place to relax without the Indian and Chinese Koh Larn bulk tour speedboat tourists clamoring all over the place. Should that have been closed as well? Why not Big Cs, the malls, gas stations, 7-11s, and so forth?

Did you not read the link?

The Rock Factory's license lists them under Nightclub, disco, pub and bar.

It was issued on October 8th at a fee of 330 baht in total to one of the ladies mentioned who was taken into the police station.

Under the terms of their license they should not have been open and they knew it.

Rooster

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, likerdup1 said:

SF Bay area was one of the first to do this (probably because the SF bay area USA has the highest concentration of intellectuals found anywhere in the world)

Hmm??? This is the only thing I disagree with. I am in Thailand! How do you explain that? ????????

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Borzandy said:

Agree, they go drinking in an open restaurant.

I've been trying to think thru the notion of closing bars but leaving restaurants open.  In the U.S., a lot of the hardest hit areas have been requiring restaurants to cease dine-in service, but they still can operate for takeout / pickup / delivery. That approach makes sense to me.

Is there really that much less social interaction in a bar setting vs a restaurant setting?  I guess, a typical bar probably has more, whereas in a restaurant, people usually are staying at their own table together and not interacting with others as much (except for the restaurant serving staff who are going to be into very close contact with everyone). 

Overall, I can understanding some drawing a distinction between restaurants and bars in terms of a CV closure order to protect public health... but not much of a distinction. Although these days in BKK, except for the serving staff, it's pretty easy to practice social distancing in most restaurants, because there are few customers and lots of empty tables!

28 minutes ago, essox essox said:

there is BEING drunk.....and having a drink !!

Yes there is, but totally irrelevant. They have not imposed a closure rule and advocating social distance because people get drunk. They are doing this because there is a virus spreading in the world.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Maybe it was just the angle of the photo, but I couldn't see remotely close to 30 people, let alone foreigners in the bar.

I just declined my weekly table tennis and backgammon after at the pub/restaurant, which was still open, on the health and safety of me and them, so to be going out on the lash, surrounded by people you don't know is pretty irresponsible.

When these people get infected they will probably put it down to bad luck, rather than complete stupidity.

Oh hell! now you tell me.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, from the home of CC said:

lol no but it is ban the border runs, unless you have a real visa for long term stay you're going to be hooped and I really don't see any much of a grace period if you end up on overstay - not when you have morons like in the OP, disregarding health measures to feed their addiction to alcohol.. 

who told you that these guys don't drink alcohol or go to massage?

How long do you stay in Thailand that you should now better?

It is to peek the Farang only.

Should tell them that Gin contains chloro-quine, the base resochine work on. No need to buy now crazy overpriced medicine. Maybe that will change in the future away from Mekhong-Soda to Gin-Tonic also in the Thai population. 

38 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

The thing with a good beating, was meant to mean what it looks like needed and not be taken litterally. However, you seem to be hung on that now. Must be nice to have something like that, so you do not feel like shifting too much from the real focus.

Regarding, that you can not pose that kind of lifestyle on others? Yes, you can. In circumstances and times where there is a danger and a threat of helping to spread a potentially deadly virus to others there is no individual freedom of choice that can be tolerated. It´s people that still believe in freedom of individual choice in times like this, that are the problem and the danger that help to spread the virus to be able to kill more and more people.

And dear Sir! I can tell you that it does not mean sh*t if you don´t agree. There is nothing to agree or disagree about. The only thing that exists is pure facts speaking for themself. That is simply, if you act irresponsible you are contributing to the spread of the virus and if you only do what is absolutely necessary you contribute to the possibility to contain the virus.

If you don't wish to be quoted don't write it in the first place. Now have you lost control and started to use expletives and becoming illogical. Of course the facts are important but you certainly interpret them differently, so yes there is some to agree/disagree about.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

That is simply, if you act irresponsible you are contributing to the spread of the virus and if you only do what is absolutely necessary you contribute to the possibility to contain the virus.

I don't think so. If you are not infected with the virus then you can act irresponsibly and not spread the virus.

Only people who have the virus can spread the virus.

Personally, since governments could not stop it I find it hilarious to suggest any individual can stop it now.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Logosone said:

I don't think so. If you are not infected with the virus then you can act irresponsibly and not spread the virus.

Personally, since governments could not stop it I find it hilarious to suggest any individual can stop it now.

And how do you know if you are infected or not, when you can spread the virus 14 days before you eventually feel any symptoms?

I find it hilarious that you do not understand that every single individual have to contribute. It´s only the individuals that can work together to minimize the spread of the virus before a vaccin is ready to be used on the open market. How do you think the governments can have any chance if the individuals work against them? Do you believe they have a magic wand and everything just goes away?

9 minutes ago, Logosone said:

But it is irresponsible, as some are doing to spread fear by making the numbers work to suit their POV

Note to self: Every time I go into a bar, don't assume, ask for their credentials, assume they should NOT be open ????

Or continue with life, taking adequate precautions? No Fear ???? 

17 minutes ago, TKDfella said:

If you don't wish to be quoted don't write it in the first place. Now have you lost control and started to use expletives and becoming illogical. Of course the facts are important but you certainly interpret them differently, so yes there is some to agree/disagree about.

Pure BS! What in this post you wrote are opposing, disagreeing or agreeing with anything you quoted? And you are talking about illogical???? Hilarious!

3 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

And how do you know if you are infected or not, when you can spread the virus 14 days before you eventually feel any symptoms?

I find it hilarious that you do not understand that every single individual have to contribute. It´s only the individuals that can work together to minimize the spread of the virus before a vaccin is ready to be used on the open market. How do you think the governments can have any chance if the individuals work against them? Do you believe they have a magic wand and everything just goes away?

At least you are not stressing! Stress kills also, work out your (self serving) percentages? then inform us how many? 

Edited by CGW

1 minute ago, CGW said:

At least you are not stressing! Stress kills also, work out your percentages? then inform us how many? 

I can handle my stress. I am actually getting work done at the same time chatting here.

6 minutes ago, Billy Bloggs said:

Get over yourself

It was about saying drunk when they look fine and dozens when there are 15 in photo and 3 are thais

How many of them tested positive

How many thais did from the boxing

Drunk or not drunk is irrelevant. I can not understand how many people feel offended by that statement, when the important thing is that there is a virus outbreak in the world. That´s the important thing so many comments here seems to forget about. The closure is done for not spreading the virus more than necessary. By being in that bar the people on the picture show the rest of the world that they can´t care less.

How many it is, is also irrelevant. If it´s one, it´s going to be one too much .Better focus on the important stuff, right?

After that you do your best to get us to look away from the foreigners in this bar, by trying to state that something else is more bad. Yes, it was more bad with the boxing, but that does not make this right.

5 hours ago, TheFishman1 said:

You would think they would be putting more emphasis on the Thai greedy bar owners that have their bar open TIT

They did! They were arrested. The guests were just sent home. Also nice to know that you are aware of that this is Thailand. Even if you are being sarcastic.

18 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

I can handle my stress. I am actually getting work done at the same time chatting here.

It's to be hoped you are not working with facts or  percentages. ???? 

• Haha 1

Ok now this <deleted> is just freaking wrong. People still have to make a living, people still have rent to pay, people still have obligations, AND PEOPLE STILL HAVE FAMILIES TO PROVIDE FOR!!!!!!! This is what scares me not the virus other people. And after browsing through other comments on here I don’t think I’m alone in thinking like that because it’s true.

Although I’ve found that there’s usually more to the story than we’re told. 

Edited by JimLuce

16 hours ago, JCP108 said:
16 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

Message should get about after this .. 

Was the pic' taken with an old black and white phone .. 

They clicked the WWII filter on the phone camera by accident when taking the photo.

You read my mind. One of the best "street-scene" shots seen on TV in a long time...Foreground, center, background are all first class (no I'm not talking about the subjects!)

Ok, I took a few hours to log off and think about the things most guys (which I disagree with) posted.

All I hear is farang this, farang that, no shower, xenophobia ... 

Yes, we all know that ... read it year in year out.

That all doesn't matter.

What matters now is that you switch on your brain ... and follow what the leaders in the West currently tell their citizens, the same you would hear if you would live back there.

There are clear warnings ... if you don't follow the 'advice / suggestions' right now, about social distancing ... then they go the next step, i.e. Italy ... lock down.

There are many Thai's around me who are getting switched on. 

It's a "respect" thing to NOT offer someone a handshake right now ... it shows that you care about them.

It would be an insult to me if someone comes up to me and want to hand shake me. He doesn't care about me or others. 

Please stay away.

It doesn't matter whether a mask is protecting you right now ... show the Thai's who care, that you care for them and wear one.

It's a token of respect.

Forget about all that xenophobic talk from the past.

Show your best side now ... do your part, be responsible. I also want to see the best from other ppl around me right now.

No matter where they come from. 

But if Farangs talk all that what I read this morning ... really, I never want to see you in person, anywhere close to me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MayPutThai said:

who told you that these guys don't drink alcohol or go to massage?

How long do you stay in Thailand that you should now better?

It is to peek the Farang only.

Should tell them that Gin contains chloro-quine, the base resochine work on. No need to buy now crazy overpriced medicine. Maybe that will change in the future away from Mekhong-Soda to Gin-Tonic also in the Thai population. 

been living here since 2003 (except for contract work) and it sounds to me that you haven't had enough yet..