Is marriage an option to stay?

Is it possible to marry a Thai and get the required documents from abroad without having to leave Thailand? I’m on a non-b visa (not extension) with work permit. I don’t want to leave Thailand for a new visa with the high risk of not getting back in, and it’s not possible to get an extension based on employment.

If I marry my Thai girlfriend of 15 years, can I do this and then get an extension of stay based on marriage on my current non-B entry? Or is a new Non-O required? And can all the documents necessary for marriage and the extension be organized from within Thailand? I’m Dutch by the way. 

Thank you to anyone who can shed some light on this. 

Edited by Gulfsailor
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

You can apply for an extension based upon marriage of the 90 day entry from non-b visa or change the reason for an extension based upon working to marriage after the extension is canceled. No need to leave the country.

You need to check with Dutch embassy to find out what their requirements are to get a affirmation of permit to marry needed to register a marriage at an Amphoe.

• Thanks 1

Guess it depends how long your visa is still valid now, you will easily need a full month in time before being married I think. I personally needed to get some paper from the Dutch embassy as well and there are not even appointment slots until 9th of April again. In that case you easily need 2 months time.

For Dutch you will need her birth certificate, passport copy, a letter in a gov. building at her hometown together with village headman etc. that states she is single/unmarried. That one together with your own birth certificate (you get from your local government, your parents can get it for you too), then all those papers need to go to the Dutch embassy, once returned you need to translate and legalise all those documents for Thailand, then get 2 witnesses and get married in Thailand. 

Would all together easily set you back 25K baht in costs (if you also count flying to hometown, to Bangkok if not living there, docs from Netherlands, embassy fees). Time frame wise, just to get your Dutch birth certificate (no older than 3 months) here, will easily take 10 days from the moment you read this, maybe even longer if certain things are closed now in Netherlands and/or Thailand.

Her hometown papers, embassy papers, can also easily take some time. Not really some easy or fast fix in my opinion. And after all that, you would only be able to extend for 60 days unless you plan to have 400K in the bank for a yearly extension.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

1 hour ago, Mr Smithy said:

How can the b/c of an Adult be no older than 3 months? 

Not the birth certificate you or your parents own, but a copy of the original one, which is located in the civil registration.

yep it is possible. wayback, I worked in Rayong with workpermit and got all papers arranged from Holland without going there.

Birth certificate, a statement that you are not married before, I think I also needed a certificate of good behavior, got all checked by the dutch emb. , translated, translation confirmed by thai foreign affairs .  It all took me about half a year , though some delays also from my side.

if all papers ready the marriage in the amphur is the least trouble some.

10 hours ago, Gulfsailor said:

Thanks for all the answers. So it appears this is doable without having to leave the country. I still have 2 months on my current non/B entry, and can use my Thai income for the extension income requirement.

Will you still be working and have a work permit?

You will need tax payment receipts to prove your income.

12 hours ago, Gulfsailor said:

Thanks for all the answers. So it appears this is doable without having to leave the country. I still have 2 months on my current non/B entry, and can use my Thai income for the extension income requirement.

A complete list  for a Certificate of legal capacity to marry from the NL consulate (I am doing the same now)

* een geboortdebewijs (verkrijgbaar bij de gemeente waar je bent geboren)

* een internationaal uittreksel uit het Basisregistratie personen (met vermelding burgerlijke staat). Dit kan bij het gemeentehuis als je ingeschreven staat in NL, Als je niet meer staat ingeschreven in NL: "U vraagt dit internationale uittreksel aan bij een van de gemeenten met een loket voor niet-ingezetenen. Dit zijn de zogenoemde RNI-gemeenten".

* Als je ooit bent gescheiden (maakt niet uit wanneer) dan moet je een kopie overleggen van de echtschedingsakte, verkrijgbaar bij de gemeente waar je bent gescheiden.

* een eigen schriftelijke verklaring dat je na verhuzing uit NL niet meer bent getrouwd.

* Een getuigen en inkomen formulier (te downloaden van website consulaat) waarop u twee Nederlandse  (niet Thaise!) getuigen vermeldt. Dit is een eis van de Thaise overheid. Deze personen hoeven niet bij het huwelijk aanwezig te zijn. 
* ingevuld aanvraagformulier huwelijksvoornemen (te downloaden van website consulaat)

* passport + copy

I am not sure if you can get #2 and #3 in Thailand. Also not sure if someone else can get these documents for you.

Van uw niet Nederlandse partner
-Een afschrift van een echtscheidingsakte meebrengen als hij of zij eerder getrouwd was.
-Een naar het Engels vertaalde en door Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs gelegaliseerde ongehuwdverklaring van uw toekomstige partner.
-Document with address.

Nadat u de verklaring van huwelijksvoornemen en het getuigen- en inkomen formulier en gewaarmerkte kopie van uw paspoort heeft aangevraagd bij het consulaat dient u alle (dus deze 3) documenten in het Thais te laten vertalen en door het Thaise ministerie van Buitenlandse Zaken te laten legaliseren. 

These documents you can use to get married. The district office doesn't need anything more from you. So you do not have to translate and legalise your birth certificate and other papers.

Edited by dimitriv
  • Thanks 1

I was planning to do just this. I had an April 7th appointment with the US Embassy, before they cancelled them all. ???? We Americans only need to have an affidavit notarized, swearing that we're eligible to marry, being single, divorced, or widowed. Then we get this translated to Thai, then to Chang Wattana to get legalized.

Then we go to an Amphoe office to actually get married. I've heard people have had bad luck lately in and around BKK, getting a hard time as if they don't want farangs getting married, some have said. So we'll go upcountry to get pics with the family and local officials while we're at it. We might have to get the village boss involved, we haven't checked, but we do have her divorce certificate from the ex.

Once married this doesn't change your visa status automatically, you'll have to apply for Non-O based on marriage. I've finally just secured a job with a good school, putting me above the 40k income requirement. But as been said, they'll want to see tax receipts to prove this, so I wouldn't be able to get the visa until after I've been working there for a year. As a teacher, this is attractive to other schools if I want to change later, as they don't have to worry about getting me a Non-B.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

The Dutch embassy in Bangkok has access to "het bevolkings register" and can give you the affirmation of permit to marry. 

About 2 months ago they told me (quote) "you have to obtain those documents from the town hall in The Netherlands."

Just now, dimitriv said:

About 2 months ago they told me (quote) "you have to obtain those documents from the town hall in The Netherlands."

That assumes that you need "documents". However, if you have never been married, and can execute an affidavit to that effect, then you should be able to proceed.