Shame on you, Britain tells coronavirus panic-buyers

rooster59

14 minutes ago, evadgib said:

The Mogg agrees...

Rees-Mogg is entirely correct Piers Morgan is a ‘controversialist’ and like all such attention seekers he’s great to have around when you want to bait those who he feels it in his own best interest to bait.

But when lives are being lost the time for ‘controversialists’ playing their baiting games is over.

I can think of at least one other notable example, and his time is done too.

4 hours ago, Logosone said:

The panic buying is much worse in the UK than in other countries in Europe.

That is a bit surprising since the UK sold itself as the 'no panic' nation, where everyone is orderly and queues. The reports coming out of the UK now show that the opposite seems to be the case.

There are two explanations, the panic buying is driven by the media. The Daily Mail just suggested that instead of toilet paper now alcohol will be the rare product. Queue panic buying of alcohol.

The British always had a much bettter, more reliable media than the rest of the world, and their connection with the media is stronger.

Another factor is lack of manufacturing and production, the toilet roll panic was probably not helped by the fact that 85% of all toilet rolls used in the UK are imported from the EU.

The most likely reason for UK doing panic buying is that UK doesn't currently have a well functioning government, which words the great population can trust. 

In many other countries people trust that their governments can keep the county's supply change functioning, even during these special times. 

UK government, lead by Boris, has for a long time told everybody that it wants to bring down all the international exchanges. Because Brexit means Brexit. 

So now we can see, what that isolation actually costs. Good luck UK. 

6 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Well here in China, I am going to be positive for once about them. The food shops have been open the whole time over the Coronavirus situation, as have I and the shelves have never once been bare or empty.

I see the Chinese go and get enough for a few days and then return.

Sadly for once the rest of the world should follow suit.

China, Singapore and South-Korea has the governments, which are trusted by the people to be able to cope with this kind of special circumstances. 

Interesting comments on this thread, such as the beans on toast comment which is fine until one gets to the empty bread shelves ????

I guess if there is a large family to feed then would be prudent to 'stock up'

People with young babies and young family now at home all day because of school closures also would be expected to 'stock up'

So when the shelves start looking a bit thin, well people may well be tempted in the current situation to take x2 of something instead of the usual one, thus the shelves deplete further

In the end people buy something just to be sure they will eat when they cannot obtain their usual fare

Panic is a word people are using to condemn the Brits, the reality is plenty are calm and collected biding their time until the cupboards of those who feel the need to 'stock up' are full

UK government is doing just fine, honest and transparent, the hoarders are now satisfied, stores are in control of the flow, life is good, none of my acquaintances are either stock piling or in a panic about future supply

Rest easy guys and concentrate on your own future, Britain is relaxed and waiting for the virus to fade how long it takes - who knows

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BritManToo said:

What's the problem?

Plenty of baked beans ....... you can live on them ...... wouldn't mind a can right now .... on toast.

I can sell you one 20k baht..................collection only   1km from my main electrified  gate

1 hour ago, alien365 said:

I wonder what the split is of panic buyers according to their political party. Who is panic buying, labour supporters or Tories?

Yeah cos that’s really important to know at at this time. 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, evadgib said:

I've posted this observation before, but if I were living in UK in these conditions i'd be out with a ferret & nets emptying the warrens and/or clearing the abundance of pigeons, squirrels, 'branchers' (Juvenile crows/good eating when shot in Springtime); plovers eggs (legal until 15 Apr unless the law has changed) or Trout tickling. Unfortunately the skills are lost on millennials who won't touch anything that isn't wrapped in cellophane with a sell by date.

How very true. They won't eat fish unless it is a fish finger. Seafood unless its in a pizza and vegetables unless its on a burger.

And they wonder why they are so retarded, spoilt, privileged and have no common sense but think they are intelligent, because they went to university and have a degree in some nonsense subject.

Edited by Laughing Gravy
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

Sad the supply chain is that bad there. 

The supply chain isn't bad at all.  It's partly this knee jerk panic gene that we Brits tend to have.  At Christmas Supermarkets are closed for one day and yet the shelves are stripped bare the day before by the locust like panic buying.  I will never understand it.

This time the panic buying is more understandable.  People are advised not to go out unless necessary and the thought is that we will be barred for going anywhere shortly.  Combine that with the schools being closed and all those kids expect to spend their days eating their parents out of house and home and you can understand just what pressure that will bring.  So people are stocking up and we can all get  that.

However there is no shortage of supplies, it is just a matter of keeping the shelves continually stocked.  I know that Waitrose near us are taking on dozens of extra staff for shelf stocking and increasing their delivery schedules.  Plenty of A level students around to do the shelf filling at the moment.

33 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

How very true. They won't eat fish unless it is a fish finger. Seafood unless its in a pizza and vegetables unless its on a burger.

And they wonder why they are so retarded, spoilt, privileged and have no common sense but think they are intelligent, because they went to university and have a degree in some nonsense subject.

Ha! Ha!.  The England you know is far from the one I live in.  Pizzas and burgers and fish fingers are very much out of fashion these days and have been for years. You won't find a university student within a hundred miles of them. They are still there but very much for the sub twelve olds. 

5 hours ago, Logosone said:

I would agree. 

Of courser once you let the panic buying gnome out of the box it doesn't end. I read a prepper handbook the other day, those guys advise to buy toilet paper, tissues, yarn, syphons, denim clothes to make your own clothes. You can take this madness to infinity. 

You also can stop eating then you don't need any toilet paper

1 hour ago, evadgib said:

I've posted this observation before, but if I were living in UK in these conditions i'd be out with a ferret & nets emptying the warrens and/or clearing the abundance of pigeons, squirrels, 'branchers' (Juvenile crows/good eating when shot in Springtime); plovers eggs (legal until 15 Apr unless the law has changed) or Trout tickling. Unfortunately the skills are lost on millennials who won't touch anything that isn't wrapped in cellophane with a sell by date.

The 18th century that we all know and love eh!   The gypsies still do all that of course, when they are not feeding their faces in McDonalds or Pizza hut!

1 hour ago, evadgib said:

Helpful hints for the city apartment dweller eh?

5 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

You also can stop eating then you don't need any toilet paper

This is probably the Boris Johnson government plan  to reduce the toilet paper shortage, hence the empty shelves.

The Chief Medical Adviser said that a reduction of 800 calories will reduce the need for toilet paper by 34 ounces.

Sounds sensible to me.

Edited by Logosone