Thailand reports 188 new coronavirus cases, brings total to nearly 600

rooster59

31 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Thailand is ranked number six in the world in terms of giving good health so don't question the number given by the ministry of health.

Watch video below for the interview with Anutin. His English is quite good compared to a lot of other Thai ministers.

Looks  like hes  talking total carp to me

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One member here said that the virus might have adjusted to the heat. It didn't but if social distancing is not properly done, when people are sharing glasses, using same spoons on a buffet during a wedding or ceremony, sitting closely together, are sleeping in the same bed or together with family members in one room a.s.o. the virus is not exposed long enough to heat, humidity and sun to die! At night there is no sunlight so the virus is living much longer on surfaces and in the air.

SOCIAL DISTANCING IS KEY....FOR EVERYBODY! 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

People get very worried about going in for elective surgery when the doctor says there is a 2% chance of complications... yet many on here think a 3% mortality rate is nothing -- or -- 20% hospitalization rate is insignificant in the big picture of things.  When the cases are low (as they still are in most of the world - much lower than they can be) you can get support in the hospital and survive, if the healthcare system is overwhelmed -- in many countries you would just have to start picking which ones will have a chance of surviving while rejecting the rest.   It is still extremely early in the pandemic (case wise). 

i dont think its insignificant but  it   looks  like many people  think the entire  population is going to be wiped out

• Haha 1

This U.S. ACS email yesterday and its advice to U.S. govt. staff re not using BTS and MRT in BKK is interesting!!!

The U.S. Embassy in Bangkok has recommended that all U.S. government employees in Thailand avoid mass transportation (including the BTS and MRT rail systems in Bangkok, buses, and domestic airline flights) and entertainment venues, and use personal vehicles for transportation domestically.   U.S. government employees are also encouraged to avoid gatherings of more than 10 people, and to practice social distancing.

• Like 1

Talk about a jump in statistics “. Don’t surprise me one little bit especially when the airports have been lacks a daisy in screening people. Today’s confirmed cases a real worry for those visiting the country,. lockdown would cause huge difficulties for many foreign guests who rely upon exchange booths ( banks closed last week ) for cashing money. The only real surprise is why the Thais have taken so long to act,. when other countries have basically closed down,. in a effort to try and contain the virus. Stay safe everybody  by self isolating for periods of time we can stay healthy and beat this horrible virus ????????

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, ThaiFelix said:

The selfish attitude indicated above I am sure is the same reason for the spread into Isaan.  I reside in a small quiet village in Isaan that has recently had returnees from S. Korea who have immediately set about catching up with old friends for meals, parties etc.  We have also seen an influx of them from Bangkok, Pattaya etc who behave in the same manner.  Isaan people dont usually bother with a centre spoon at meal times and often eat off each others plates.  Likewise the men will sit around and drink sharing the same one glass and a bottle or two of Lao Khao.  A disaster waiting to happen.

Yesterday there was a noisy procession in the streets with the usual dancers and loud music etc with not one mask to be seen.  There was also the usual scene of small groups among the dancers all drinking from the same beer bottles not to mention the hugging and kissing.  When I asked the wife what was going on and why are people gathering when we have been told not its best to isolate, her reply was ...."Oh its the annual moo barn festival and in Isaan we HAVE to have it, no matter what"!!  When I compared it to Songkran, the racing at Buriram, bars closed everywhere etc etc, it made no difference.  "No you dont understand, In Isaan we have to have it every year, its all been booked earlier!!

Is it that Thai 'logic' thing again?  Is it having the right amulet or the belief in reincarnation?  It seems to be the same attitude that makes them overtake on a hill or a blind bend into oncoming traffic.  Whatever it is they are slow to realise it just doesnt work.

It’s the same in  the village where I was into up til yesterday, business as usual. Loads of temple gigs, weddings as usual, large parties down the lake  bbq,s etc etc. They either don’t know or don’t give a sh.te. 

Now back in Udon and bars are shut but shopping malls, coffee shops, restaurants all open and some selling beer as usual. 

Also pretty clear that loads have returned home. The keep fit/ rumba classes in the park were banging with fit 20 somethings not seen for many months!

Edited by Kadilo
  • Like 1

Really what #ickheads are running Thailand? Were they just lying about the numbers? Prior to Wuhan exploding five flights per day came from Wuhan to Thailand .....5 a day 1000 to 1500 from the epicenter. 

For me it was too big an ask to believe that only one in a million thais got infected (I guess the sanitary system is so effective here) and the only one died (guessing the hospital care is so fantastic that it scares the virus into killing itself).

Prayut is like Trump.....all photo op; gibberish comments and no action at all.....and as for Anutin, one can only hope for karma.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Liss Camber said:

One member here said that the virus might have adjusted to the heat. It didn't but if social distancing is not properly done, when people are sharing glasses, using same spoons on a buffet during a wedding or ceremony, sitting closely together, are sleeping in the same bed or together with family members in one room a.s.o. the virus is not exposed long enough to heat, humidity and sun to die! At night there is no sunlight so the virus is living much longer on surfaces and in the air.

SOCIAL DISTANCING IS KEY....FOR EVERYBODY! 

Ah!v So that's why the missus wants her own bedroom!

5 hours ago, BobbyL said:

Huge amount of daily jumps now. Similar to how it started in Europe a few weeks ago. Got a feeling they need to impose a proper lockdown (this government have done it before) to avoid Thailand becoming like Italy or Spain very soon. 

A lockdown is one thing... fully explaining what "self-isolation" actually means is another.

Expect the numbers to rocket as carriers still continue to go out or mingle with family members at home!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Mavideol said:

never too late... as the old saying goes, """better late then never"""

There is actually a tipping point, where the decision to finally act becomes irrelevant.  People’s lives are at stake. For those who succumb to Covid 19 (and their families) while the government fiddles, “better late than never” will provide little comfort. 
It seems the leaders were far quicker to act decisively when the protests in Bangkok were quickly turned into a coup, but now they seem to be sitting on their hands. 

• Like 1

Is it possible to get death data for Thailand due to all causes? I'm interested to see if Feb. 2020 compares to Feb. 2019 and, so on. My belief is that the one death due to C-19 is an understatement and that if we were to see death data for all causes, we might see if the numbers are actually increased.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Can someone have a stab at what a "lockdown" of city such as Bangkok would mean. When we had the curfew with junta that was pretty mild. I recall flying in from Saigon to DMX late and getting taxi to His Hin. There were road blocks and all you needed to show was passport and airline ticket for time you landed.

Does a lockdown come with a warning. 

Just now a state in Oz has ordered lockdown. No travel in/out.

I live bkk currently on Koh Samed. Could easily have been Phuket etc. So what happens? Any ideas appreciated.

5 hours ago, 248900_1469958220 said:

Is the warmer weather slowing its spread? New research seems to point to this. 

Might have slowed down the initial spread. However now it's gone beyond the tipping point and it won't matter if it's 200 degrees outside. It will be spread because the density of the carriers is high enough. Hence, social distancing to keep the local density down.

• Like 1