Covid-19: Government to impose state of emergency

Jonathan Fairfield

The view is that Italy, Spain, France, UK and now USA were too slow to act in the early weeks. USA could be horrific and UK press report Trump is privately begging everyone but mostly China and S. Korea for help. The antiglobalisation guy needs China as they make most medical equipment US needs. USA with its rotten health care system is on its knees. 

South Korea and Taiwan are universally agreed to be the smartest kids on the block.  They tested, tested and tested and tracked down contacts of virus positive people. 

The problem is is so many people are asymptomatic especially younger ones and pass it on unbeknown. This nasty  virus is tough and that’s why two meters is needed outside and it survives on surfaces for many, many hours. I just wonder why it’s taken longer in Thailand than other states given its closeness to China etc., otherwise it’s not being tested for post mortality so it’s not being recorded 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

17 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

And didnt we just have the lady govt. shill just saying in today's earlier news that the Cabinet hadn't even discussed a curfew???

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

There seems to be confusion on this 32 page thread about the article that was posted yesterday by the Thaiger. Let it be clear that the article does not list the actions that will be taken by the prime minister, but simply lists the measures that COULD be imposed and what he has the power to press upon the population. We are waiting for news today on what those measures will be specifically. 

Edited by Guest

7 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

My local immigration office recently agreed to do me an extension. Not for tourist purposes though.

If it's not tourist extension, what is it and how long?

2 minutes ago, CLW said:

After Press conference by MP Prayuth no immediate changes. 

everybody in the room stood their ground, frozen solid; until he stopped breathing words in their direction, and backed away from their social distance

• Like 1

1 hour ago, peterpaintpot said:

Cyril Sneer claims that the lockdown in Italy has not been a success. In any scientific experiment one always needs a standard or control to compare with the results obtained from the experiment. The current virus is a new species and there is not enough data yet available for comparisons to made. There is no doubt that the figures from Italy are horrendous, but that does not mean that they wouldn't have been far worse without the lockdown.

As an afterthought it may not be a good idea to believe everything printed in the Daily Mail.

can you de-capitilise my name when quoting me please

sorry for the Daily Mail link, that's probably what got you started

A post in violation of the following forum rule has been removed as well as the replies:

1) You will not express disrespect of the King of Thailand or any one member of the Thai royal family, whether living or deceased, nor to criticize the monarchy as an institution.

By law, the Thai Royal Family are above politics. Speculation, comments and discussion of either a political or personal nature are not allowed when discussing HM The King or the Royal family.

To breach these rules may result in immediate ban.

Linking to external sites which break these rules will be treated as if you yourself posted them.

On 3/24/2020 at 3:13 PM, cornishcarlos said:

So Article 44 is back in play, under a different name ??

Well at least he won’t feel like a fish out of water now with his military barking orders experience. Home is where the heart’, as is often said. 

Im curious many Thai people are already strapped for cash, what will they do for this 30 day period.? Are the powers that be thinking about this. When will I be allowed to see my wife in Thailand thats all I want to know. Thailand has much to loose with this lock down.

15 hours ago, jimn said:

Well I hope your flight on the 31st isn't cancelled. More importantly how are you going to obtain the health certificate that proves you are virus free and have the required cover for Covid 19. If you dont have both these the airline wont let you check in.

Nonsense. I flew out yesterday. The requirements that you mention are for inbound people, not people leaving. At Swampy there is only one entrance open at departure level where they thermoscan you and attach a pink dot sticker to your shirt if you pass. Similar setup in the basement coming off airport link.

All of the fingerprint scanners have been taken out of service. The place was petty well deserted compared to normal.

9 hours ago, rabang said:

That's what I would like to know as well. Are they making the announcement on thursday or put this in practice then?

My main concern is the transport, if they stop everything altogether, as I would have to get to the airport.

You may have left it too late. The departures board had, at a guess, 80% of the flights marked as cancelled yesterday. It won't get better over the next day or two.

If you have a confirmed flight go to the airport NOW and do whatever you have to do to stay there until your flight departs. Sleep and eat there if necessary.

Good luck, I think you will need it.

Edited by emptypockets

4 hours ago, kimamey said:

I don't  know which comments you're referring to in particular and some may well be stupid but it's not always that easy. 

In my case I came out from the UK on 29th Dec on a 90 day visa with a flight back on 15th Mar. I actually went to the airport but after discussions with my son and daughter decided not to leave. When I'm in the UK i stay with my mother who is fit but will be 92 in May. Having gone through Bangkok and it's airport and then sitting on a plane and transiting Bahrain airport and sitting  on another plane i would have had to find somewhere else to stay until I could be sure i was free of three virus. I checked on here and found i could get a 60 day extension which will take me to 27th May. It looks as if I can get another extension but i didn't know that at the time. 

I don't know exactly what the government is going to do and I don't suppose you do either. My wife works in a government department (not immigration unfortunately) and some of the things they do make no sense to me so assuming they will do what is obviously sensible doesn't mean they will. 

There's a lot we and they don't know. 

Coming here December is one thing, but coming here during the last month and then complaining about everything incl immigration laws, that's imo stupid. 

9 hours ago, Lissos said:

Me too, mate. It's my 'only' concern, apart from the possibility of the airport itself also closing of course, which seems less likely but we have seen that happen in Peru. All I need is to get on the Phaya Thai airport link and I'm done. I see the 'potential' for BTS and this associated link being very curtailed to access for use unless you can prove it is essential travel (in our case, we should be able to get by).

Quite a number of people intend to leave on that date as the concern shows up all over the net in response to this announcement 'about' a coming announcement. It could be one of the earliest flight slots left. The timing of this is spectacular, but I've had this feeling since last Friday that absolutely anything could happen before this Friday 27th. 

It will depend on where you are going and who you are flying with. Yesterday it was looking like a complete shutdown of flights was imminent. Certainly was for Australia.

I was on the last QANTAS flight. Finished , kaput, no more for the duration.

• Like 1