Masks: to wear or not to wear

Bannockburn

The "experts" seem to be all over the shop with this one. On the one hand we have the WHO,CDC and the NHS saying don't wear. They are a health hazard and are only useful for health workers.

On the other hand we have the Thai government (not only Mr Anutin) threatening to fine anyone outside not wearing a mask. What is the definitive answer?

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Bannockburn said:

On the other hand we have the Thai government (not only Mr Anutin) threatening to fine anyone outside not wearing a mask. What is the definitive answer?

which one of your choices would  you have more  trust in?

Just now, grumbleweed said:

And there was I thinking they were simply fashion accessories.

Without eye protection as well, it's like locking the door and leaving the window wide open. However, the natives are not renown for pushing the envelope where critical thinking is concerned.

Another super smart TV member denigrating the locals.

There are always going to be windows left open. But with less opportunity to get a grip, there will be less opportunity for transmission.

That is what we are trying to do. Cut down on transmission.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

So how do you control someone sneezing or coughing in your general vicinity, since it can happen at ANY time?

its  obvious , all the Thais  know  not to go  out if they are coughing and sneezing right?

Then there  will be the shortage of  masks for the people  who REALLY  NEED  THEM, the ones in the hospital trying to save "we"

Edited by Chazar
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, androokery said:

You wear the mask to protect others, not yourself. That's pretty consistent with how the masks have been used in Asia for quite some time. Does it help? Maybe a little bit, but at least it's polite. Part of the lubricant that oils the wheels of society:)  

Politeness and lubricant in the same post?

• Haha 1

Does any of the hyper intelligent naysayers here think that hospitals source their product from the local pharmacy?

How exactly does an individual purchasing a face mask from a pharmacy, impact the wearing of a face mask by a hospital worker.

Their statements are becoming increasingly idiotic.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eindhoven said:

Does any of the hyper intelligent naysayers here think that hospitals source their product from the local pharmacy?

How exactly does an individual purchasing a face mask from a pharmacy, impact the wearing of a face mask by a hospital worker.

Their statements are becoming increasingly idiotic.

Duh  I thought they bought them all in the market off  that  bloke from the govt...............stoopid me

42 minutes ago, Bannockburn said:

The "experts" seem to be all over the shop with this one. On the one hand we have the WHO,CDC and the NHS saying don't wear. They are a health hazard and are only useful for health workers.

Who said wearing a mask is a health hazard?

First there are different types of masks, N95 masks will protect you from inhaling the  virus other masks might offer only minimal  protection but I don't see how they will hurt other than offering a false sense of security inducing people to engage in risky behaviour. 

Wearing  any mask inhibits the transmission of the virus from coughing if one is infected and wears one, because it contains the cough . so as such if everyone wore a mask it could be helpfull

Also I  won't have to look at your ugly faces LOL.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

I tried explaining the mask thing to my Thai staff.

I explained about the virus being minute (lek mak mak) droplets of water and maybe being in the air or on surfaces.

I then asked them to touch a door handle and then to have a drink.

Hand to handle

hand to face to lower mask

hand to glass

glass to lips

then hand to face re-fitting the mask.

Since then, they have stopped wearing masks (their decision, not mine) but they wash their hands at least 20 times a day singing happy birthday two times.

Nice to see that they understood  it

As opposed to what some have said, I have seen most Thais wearing them in the city and outside.

90% I think.  Some hotshot young dudes maybe not.

I have mixed feelings, but I think most Thais believe it does help and is necessary and would appreciate if you did.

Out of some respect and I believe some protection, I am wearing one.

If you don't care, it is up to you.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, grumbleweed said:

Absolute bs. They wear them to protect the patient

The FDA states that when properly worn, surgical masks are “meant to help block large-particle droplets, splashes, sprays, or splatter that may contain germs (viruses and bacteria), keeping it from reaching your mouth and nose.”

The FDA added, however, that a surgical mask “by design, does not filter or block very small particles in the air that may be transmitted by coughs, sneezes, or certain medical procedures.”

I know that you like to make yours appear the definitive answer, but it works both ways.

N95 and loose fitting surgical masks are quite different products.

N95 masks should be kept for critical situations. We aren't referring to N95 masks in general. The idea is to block larger particles from sneezing, coughing, speaking etc from entering the nostrils and mouth. Eye covering offer a bit more protection. None of this is infallible. But these are sensible steps to take.

You'll note that advice differs slightly and that is because N95 masks are a scarce resource. So advice differs accordingly. If there was a glut, the advice would be different.