Would an SSD WD 240 GB fit into a DELL Inspiron laptop?

Isaanbiker

As already mentioned, would that SSD drive fit into my DELL 1440? 

Lazada sells them currently for 1100 baht. For those who want an upgrade:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/240-gb-ssd-wd-green-sata-3-synnex-nava-it-group-i257631715-s396934434.html?search=1

Edited by Isaanbiker

1 hour ago, steve187 said:

it should fit, it looks like the hard drive is in a slide out slot on the side.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulecDVBnDwc

clone your hard drive to the new ssd,   https://bit.ly/2WMIxQy

Thanks! WD SSD's come with free Acronis software, but reading the seagate option, it might be better.

The worst would be to have two bootable disks. As Seagate writes, if it's done via USB the old one won't be bootable.

I'm planning to use my old one as my second drive, get rid off the DVD player. Thanks again. 

• Like 1

On 3/28/2020 at 2:01 PM, Isaanbiker said:

Thanks! WD SSD's come with free Acronis software, but reading the seagate option, it might be better.

The worst would be to have two bootable disks. As Seagate writes, if it's done via USB the old one won't be bootable.

I'm planning to use my old one as my second drive, get rid off the DVD player. Thanks again. 

Make sure the notebook works fine with just the new drive.

To do that remove the old disk after you clone it and before you start it the first time with the new disk.

Otherwise the system might use the boot sector from the old disk and then start the OS on the new disk.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

To do that remove the old disk after you clone it and before you start it the first time with the new disk.

Otherwise the system might use the boot sector from the old disk and then start the OS on the new disk.

laptops to my knowledge, or maybe only when using acronis is that the new disc has to be in the machine in order to clone the old drive  and make the new drive bootable

10 hours ago, steve187 said:

laptops to my knowledge, or maybe only when using acronis is that the new disc has to be in the machine in order to clone the old drive  and make the new drive bootable

I guess you are right. I did a lot of cloning in desktops - including cloning disks for notebooks.

And you must be around for a long time to still call these things laptops. ???? 

9401078c315052fc72a74b.jpg

• Like 1

I have found EASEUS cloning software does away with all the faffing about with the fully attended, 'must disconnect destination drive before rebooting' malarkey that the older versions of Acronis has never quite managed to do away with. Last couple of EASEUS clones were successful while I was away doing other stuff.

I also note that a lot of disk cloning and partition management software, including Acronis and EASEUS that used to do boot or o/s partition cloning for free now require you to buy the 'full' version to allow that fnction. Cloning non-boot or o/s partitions is still free. As SSD prices came down, I guess most people downloading their software were cloning to an SSD only once and never coming back so they needed to monetize that.

If you need a legacy, all-free version of software, filehippo is a good source.

On 3/29/2020 at 7:45 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

That was one of my concerns. I need all my files on drive D, so I'm trying to delete the drive C with the OS on it.

I've got all backed up with Macrium, so I might not even need to clone it as that can take forever. 

Important is that the SSD fits into the space for the drive. I think it must be a 2.5 right?

The problem on Lazada where Zi want to buy it is that  a lot of stuff is missing. The closing part is an easy exercise for me.

Once I've booted the notebook with the new SSD drive and then insert my old one into the DVD drive, a certain adaptor is needed.

i might go to Advice and seek some Advice. Thanks a lot. 

7 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

Why all this talk of cloning? Why transfer all the old crud that slowed it down in the first place? Just clean install Windows 10 Pro. Put the old HDD into a caddy.

First, i wanted to use my Macrium backup, but then I've somehow made a mistake by using the 32 version of W 10 Pro.

The notebook is made for the 64 bit version and to change that I'll have to start from the scratch.

You are right, putting the old HD in a case would also be okay, but I'd prefer to have all date in the machine without connecting it with old technology.

The transfer rate would be very slow. If take the DVD drive out and put the old HD in, what kind of adapter do I need?

Am I right that I need a 2.5 SSD? Thanks for your time and consideration. 

3 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

First, i wanted to use my Macrium backup, but then I've somehow made a mistake by using the 32 version of W 10 Pro.

The notebook is made for the 64 bit version and to change that I'll have to start from the scratch.

You are right, putting the old HD in a case would also be okay, but I'd prefer to have all date in the machine without connecting it with old technology.

The transfer rate would be very slow. If take the DVD drive out and put the old HD in, what kind of adapter do I need?

Am I right that I need a 2.5 SSD? Thanks for your time and consideration. 

I'm confused about your talk of adapter. Do you mean the adapter that takes the place of the optical drive?

i.e.: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2nd-Hard-Drive-HDD-SSD-Caddy-Adapter-for-Dell-Inspiron-1440-1545-1564-1750-1764-/251516299989

2.5" SSD is right for your DELL.

Just clean install Windows 10 Pro 64 bit to the SSD if you have at least 4 GB of RAM installed.

if you buy a caddy to replace the dvd drive with the old hard drive, make sure its the correct one for your model of laptop, i bought a cheap universal one for my asus and it didn't fit. was too thick, you need a 2.5 ssd, i bought mine from advice, it should be a straight swap.