So: face masks do help reduce infection

RocketDog

Of course they help!  I can't believe this would even be a debate!  At the very least, they prevent you from unthinkingly putting your hands in your nose and mouth when you are out and about touching surfaces that may have the virus--and the virus can live on some surfaces for several hours and, as new research emerges, days.  If you're out and you have the virus and are not aware of it, the masks help you from spreading the virus.  If you don't have the virus, a mask will help you from getting it.   Can't be much simpler than that.  If you have goggles, wear them, too--for the same reason.  They will help you from unthinkingly touching and rubbing your eyes with your fingers that may have the virus on them.  Stay safe.  

11 minutes ago, newnative said:

Of course they help!  I can't believe this would even be a debate!  At the very least, they prevent you from unthinkingly putting your hands in your nose and mouth when you are out and about touching surfaces that may have the virus--and the virus can live on some surfaces for several hours and, as new research emerges, days.  If you're out and you have the virus and are not aware of it, the masks help you from spreading the virus.  If you don't have the virus, a mask will help you from getting it.   Can't be much simpler than that.  If you have goggles, wear them, too--for the same reason.  They will help you from unthinkingly touching and rubbing your eyes with your fingers that may have the virus on them.  Stay safe.  

Perhaps ditch the mask and wear gloves then.

17 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

Hong Kong scientists recently put it very succinctly: absence of evidence is not the same as evidence of absence.

The supposed lack of evidence is due to a lack of research. But countries where most people do wear face masks seem to be doing a better job of reducing infections than those where most people don't.

The original advice from the WHO (? Ha! Ha! Always found that acronym funny) was that masks only help if worn by those infected/contagious. Don't know if that's changed. Given that advice my thoughts were that wearing a mask signals that you are or think you are infected. However, it seems now that wearing a mask is the thing to do when out and about or just near others, so I wear one. Also the staff in shops that are open wear them and it is obligatory to go in to Big C and Immigration.

19 hours ago, Farangwithaplan said:

So if you aren't listening to the science of masks, are you listening to amateurs who came up with the studies you refuse to link to?

Wear a mask if you are sick or have a pimple. If not, don't.

I read this today https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-52126735 Coronavirus: Expert panel to assess face mask use by public.

It seems that wearing a mask might protect you from most of a direct blast of sneeze or coughing and direct the flow of air to the sides. But, in my opinion, this ignores the point that the polluted air will land on the forehead, hair, clothing etc. The mask will only protect that part of the face that is covered and a secondary inhalation of (any) virus remains a likely source of infection.

CNNs headline 2 days ago read 'Asia may have been right about the facemask'

The U.S administration in their press briefing went out to say 'We don't recommend it to be used' 
People read into it as 'it's not recommended - naturally because it doesn't help' 

But that latter wasn't stated only what people read into it.

It's not recommended to the public because others e.g medical practitioners need it more.

That's what was stated. It's a complete idiotic statement. 

if you don't have a frigging mask , make one yourself out of anything you can get a hold of - if that's what it comes down to.

Any bloody barrier is better than no barrier, a 5 year old can figure that out.

Now gradually they're changing their tune in western countries.

'tobacco isnt harmful'

'asbestos is safe'

'mobile radiation isnt' harmful'

'5G is safe'

'no need to wear a mask'

History is full of lies

Protect yourself and don't listen to the noise.

Edited by WhereIsMyRyeBread
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

Now even the "experts" have done a u-turn but to save face are breaking the news slowly rather than admit they were wrong all along.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-52126735

Feel free to continue making a fool of yourself by denying what was obvious all along though.

I believe what facts say. If the facts state that masks work, I will happily use them and follow the guidelines.

That is the ways science works. If we were using your theories about things being "obvious" we would probably be arguing about how this disease is travelling in the ether.

You are a poster boy for the Dunning Krueger effect. And sadly by its very definition you are oblivious to it.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Would more effective if the mask wearing countries improved their basic hygiene,  refrained from eating wild animals and stopped lying to the rest of the world whenever they have a public health crisis.

Then no one would have to wear masks ????

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Tayaout said:

Of course it helps. I already posted multiple studies that support that claim. Even the WHO and CDC are considering changing their guidelines after telling all the sheeps not to use a mask. 

"Widespread use of nonmedical masks could reduce community transmission. But recommending their broad use could also cause a run on the kind of masks that health care workers desperately need." 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/31/health/cdc-masks-coronavirus.html

considering, could, ? great science

1 hour ago, WhereIsMyRyeBread said:

CNNs headline 2 days ago read 'Asia may have been right about the facemask'

The U.S administration in their press briefing went out to say 'We don't recommend it to be used' 
People read into it as 'it's not recommended - naturally because it doesn't help' 

But that latter wasn't stated only what people read into it.

It's not recommended to the public because others e.g medical practitioners need it more.

That's what was stated. It's a complete idiotic statement. 

if you don't have a frigging mask , make one yourself out of anything you can get a hold of - if that's what it comes down to.

Any bloody barrier is better than no barrier, a 5 year old can figure that out.

Now gradually they're changing their tune in western countries.

'tobacco isnt harmful'

'asbestos is safe'

'mobile radiation isnt' harmful'

'5G is safe'

'no need to wear a mask'

History is full of lies

Protect yourself and don't listen to the noise.

If you are a healthy human there is no need to wear a mask, the mask covers the nose and mouth if there is particulates in the air from a sneezing or infected person they will still get in the eyes, hair, clothes, hands arms etc yea!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Sad 2

Thanks for the post. Maybe way too much common sense and consensus in what you wrote for a bunch of TV members though! I agree with you by the way. The most infection and disease aware environments of our planet i.e. hospitals mandate mask wearing when any possibility of disease transmission can exist so why is it such a stretch for lay-people to adopt such simple measures? Could it be that we are fundamentally a stupid, selfish, self-destructive, arrogant species? 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Chazar said:

and  God  is real too, in fact anything you  want to believe without evidence is  true, we  should  all be in an isolation bubble 10 miles  apart dressed  in yellow singing kumbyaaaaa, lack of evidence doesnt mean this is  incorrect.......surely??

Must it be yellow? I don't really like that color.......

23 hours ago, Farangwithaplan said:

So if you aren't listening to the science of masks, are you listening to amateurs who came up with the studies you refuse to link to?

Wear a mask if you are sick or have a pimple. If not, don't.

Learn much more.

Click on "Show this thread" in the 1st tweet by Roxanne Khamsi:

https://mobile.twitter.com/rkhamsi/status/1244659064350670848

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mngmn said:

Would more effective if the mask wearing countries improved their basic hygiene,  refrained from eating wild animals and stopped lying to the rest of the world whenever they have a public health crisis.

Then no one would have to wear masks ????

I wasn't aware that Japan, being a high percentage mask wearing country, was a big wild animal eater... Care to elaborate?

7 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

"He said he read on the TV forum masks do nothing."

ETdVPX3WAAAQfi8.jpg

NCC, I've always considered you a person of reason and science. Until there is reason for all people to wear masks, why is it important? People coughing and potentially spraying fluids obviously wear a mask. But all the population?

Please juxtapose your weather science to medicine for a minute.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Farangwithaplan said:

No.

your talking absolute nonsense ....  i cannot believe what your saying, of coarse it will help protect the person with a mask on.  That person won't get germs in their mouth from others.

6 hours ago, kenk24 said:

I wear it so that others will not feel uncomfortable or in danger as they do not know me or know if I am sick or not... 

and you can be commended for that. That important aspect of making others feel comfortable is important. But that had nothing to do wit the post I replied to. The post I replied to is taking hearsay and trying to pass it off as fact. Whether that hearsay becomes fact or not is not the point. Right now it is unsubstantiated ramblings.

If it is proven right in time, then we must adjust. But don't let crazy unfounded theories take over rational thought..

But how many times have you touched your hand on that mask. The same mask that is now a filter for all the pathogen that come into play with it? How do you clean tat mask and then how do you disinfect yourself after handling that mask?

1 hour ago, johno49 said:

If you are a healthy human there is no need to wear a mask, the mask covers the nose and mouth if there is particulates in the air from a sneezing or infected person they will still get in the eyes, hair, clothes, hands arms etc yea!!!!!!!!!!!!

You speak as if saliva has never projected itself out of a human mouth. Indeed, if that were true, you may be on to something! 

• Like 1

If you want to wear a mask, wear one, if you don't want to wear a mask, then don't. 

Masks are not 100% effective but even if they are only 10% effective that would make a huge difference in the infection and death numbers. I would guess that they are far more than 10% effective but once again if you don't want to wear one, don't. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ketyo said:

In fact I can add some evidence to this debate.

Since my minimart requires shoppers to wear a mask I do it.

Last week I sneezed with the mask on. 

I can confirm that the snot that comes out gets captured by the mask. If you push the mask to your face after that, your face will get covered in snot.

This means that the person in front of you gets less snot on them.

Where is my nobel prize for science?

unless a mask is air tight its effectiveness is seriously compromised